[Ohio-Talk] Do You Hear What I Hear?

Suzanne Turner smturner.234 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 17:33:56 UTC 2022

Ohio, Members and Friends,

I am so thankful this year for you! The work that you have done in the year
2022 is just momentous! From the Capitol Chapters monthly radio programming,
to our strong relationship with OOD, to increasing the affiliate's treasury
during the state convention, to attending the national convention, and to
giving sheets and blankets to the homeless shelter in Cleveland along with,
Moving the Parental Rights Bill along, which is now headed to the governor's
desk has moved our affiliate to a higher level. You should be very proud of
the work that you have done this year.

I am also very thankful for believing in the organization. Our philosophy
states that, "The Federation philosophy provides an overall framework for
thinking about blindness, what it means, and what it doesn't mean. However,
it is not intended to be rigid or dogmatic., Blind people are individuals,
and we may disagree on any number of things, including how to handle a given
situation as blind people. What our philosophy does do is give us a positive
way of thinking about our blindness, rather than the negative ways in which
we have often been conditioned to think about it by society. Given proper
training and opportunity, blind people can and do live the lives we want. It
is respectable to be blind, and, with the right tools and techniques,
blindness may be reduced to the level of a nuisance or inconvenience. To
combat the low expectations, misconceptions, and stereotypes that are the
true barriers to achieving our dreams, the blind have organized for the same
reasons other minorities have-to make positive social change through
collective action".

Help me to lift a toast to Donny Boggs who graduated from the Louisiana
Center for the Blind last Friday. This is a great accomplishment for him,
his family and the Ohio Affiliate. Also, congratulations to Dr. Carolyn
Peters and Kathy Legg who became Presidents of their respective chapters,
Miami Valley and Akron.

I would ask you to please keep Scott LaBarre and Kiana Hills families in
your prayers. Scott LaBarre booming and influential voice will be definitely
missed at the annual conventions. But also he will be missed on the floor of
Congress, as well as across the world. Kiana Hill was a quiet but dynamite
individual. She really cared about people and made a difference in the
community and the Akron Chapter. Please pray for peace for their families
during this season.

Time is very short! We must band together, work together, learn together and
serve together. We have work to do and no one has time to waste! We must do
the work of the Federation in 2023 to our best abilities! I know that our
Affiliate President, Richard Payne has great things coming in the works for
us. He is definitely where he should be, and that is at the helm! He has
kept us together and moving forward! We need you, so do not go anywhere!

Do you hear what I hear? These are the words that I know in my heart and I
hope in yours, that blind people are calling for us, needing us, looking for
us! Do you hear what I hear? We must move our Ohio Affiliate a little higher
in service, commitment, dedication  and togetherness in 2023! Do you hear
what I hear? The work that we do is not going unnoticed! We, the Ohio
affiliate is one of the premier states in this organization that has done
good works! Do you hear what I hear? Our blind children need our advocacy,
direction and the BELL Program to be re-implemented in 2023! Do you hear
what I hear? Our students who need us to take a stand and join them in
ensuring that they have everything they need in order to achieve their goals
of graduating And entering into the world capable, successful and with great
potential! Do you hear what I hear? We must honor our seniors, celebrate our
achievements and prepare for the future! Do you hear what I hear? The Board
of Directors of Ohio must move together, strong, powerful, and with
direction! Do you hear what I hear? Our Chapters must increase membership,
raise expectations of blind people, fundraise to help those in the community
and  educate new members on the philosophy of the organization! Do you hear
what I hear? We must give to the organization's framework promoting the
programs and services through the PAC Plan, that allows members to give
regularly and automatically less than $5 on a monthly basis. Do you hear
what I hear? We must promote peace, love and joy throughout the year of
2023!   Do you hear what I hear? Everyone is needed to do the work of the
organization. So, let's get to work!

I want to take time to thank you again for the work that you have done in
2022! Thank you, thank you and thank you!

Click on the link below!

If it doesn't open to Do You Hear What I Hear, click it again.

https://youtu.be/JQPcv66n2tg

National Federation of the Blind of Ohio (NFBO)

Suzanne Turner,

Cleveland Chapter, President

(216) 990-6199

Please click on the links below to learn more about the organization

The Ohio Affiliate

 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGe_1qGbkX8>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGe_1qGbkX8

"Live the life you want" featuring, National President, Mark Riccobono

 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DesLNDBpYVE&feature=share>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DesLNDBpYVE&feature=share

Visit and take a moment to like our Facebook Page!

<https://m.facebook.com/NationalFederationOfTheBlindOfOhioClevelandChapter/>
https://m.facebook.com/NationalFederationOfTheBlindOfOhioClevelandChapter/

blindness is not what holds you back.