[Ohio-Talk] Reminder

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 17:36:28 UTC 2022

Good afternoon:

We can be happy in Dayton that the temperature is currently fifty-five
degrees after the very low temperatures that Ohio has been having this seems
to be a spring day.

This year is almost over, and a new year is upon us so let's get ready to
start out running. I hope everyone has been enjoying the holidays and have a
great new year always feel free to contact the leadership.

the deadline for you to notify me that you wish to serve on the 2023 state
committees will be on January 3,2023 at 6pm

The NFB was founded on the guiding principles that blind people have an
inalienable right to independence, that blind people have equal capacity,
and that only blind people themselves can legitimately speak for the blind
community. These principles have continually permeated the membership and
structure of our ever-growing organization.
Today, the NFB is the largest organization of blind people in the United
States.
National, state, and local officers are elected by our members to ensure a
representative form of government. This ensures that, as blind people, we
can drive our own collective action and determine our own future, rather
than relying on others to advocate for us.
The main components of our structure are listed in our constitution
<https://nfb.org/about-us/history-and-governance/constitution>  (i.e.,
"Article V. Powers and Duties of the Convention, the Board of Directors, and
the President"). In short, the national Convention
<https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention>  is the central and
foundational element of our organization. It is the Convention that elects
our board of directors <https://nfb.org/about-us/leadership/board-directors>
and our President <https://nfb.org/about-us/leadership/presidents-corner> .
This structure at the national level is reflected in our state affiliates
<https://nfb.org/about-us/state-affiliates> , where conventions of blind
people set state policies and elect state leaders, including presidents.
While the state affiliates must follow the policies and practices of the
national organization, blind people in each state make independent decisions
about the programmatic priorities and concerns in their local area.
Since 1940, we have worked collectively in a unified national organization,
improving the lives of blind people throughout the country, and in some
cases, the world. Along with high expectations and strong values, our
structure continues to empower members of the National Federation of the
Blind to live the lives we want.

2023 NFBO Committee Appointments

You will find the 2023 committees with the committee charges: Please
remember that even if you were the chair or served on a committee this year
it does not mean that you will be serving in that capacity in the new year.
We have a growing and changing culture as it pertains to the membership and
the committee structure will reflect that.

1: AWARDS COMMITTEE

Details
Charge: To oversee the awards process, to provide information and feedback
when necessary, and to make reasonable judgments about NFBO awards.

2: BELL Committee

Details
Charge: To communicate and help with planning the inhouse bell program and
to organize the bell Academy and plan efficient ways to promote and execute
the important program.

3: CONSTITUTION Committee

Details
Charge: To make sure that all NFBO constitutions follow the state and
national constitutions, both philosophically and rhetorically.

4: RESOLUTIONS COMMITTEE

Details
Charge: To oversee the submission process and to write and distribute
clearly articulated and philosophically sound resolutions.

5: DEAF-BLIND Committee

Details
Charge: To aid and provide information to those who are in this unique
community and to serve as a vehicle to foster a positive relationship for
the deaf-blind community.

6: EDUCATION COMMITTEE

Details
Charge: To inform the president about policies, legislation, strategies, and
initiatives in which NFBO should be engaged to improve educational
opportunities for blind youth throughout the state.

7: FINANCING THE MOVEMENT COMMITTEE including (SUN coordinator, Jernigan
Fund coordinator, PAC coordinator)

Details
Charge: To make members aware of these specific organizational fundraising
opportunities and to implement strategies to increase participation.

8: FUNDRAISING COMMITTEE

Details
Charge: To investigate added opportunities to increase NFB-O resources and
to implement effective fundraising strategies and programming.

9: LEGISLATIVE COMMITTEE

Details
Charge: To increase the organization's visibility and effectiveness in the
state legislature and to continue to support our efforts in Washington
throughout the year.

10: MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE

Details
Charge: To implement effective strategies to recruit and retain members and
to reinvigorate the chapters and divisions of NFBO.

11: NEWSLINE Coordinator

Details
Charge: To assist the state president with updating the content on the
Newsline service, as well as, promoting and advertising NEWSLINE.

12: PROMOTION AND PUBLICITY Committee

Details
Charge: To develop content and suggest creative ways to promote NFBO
branding. Responsibilities include but are not limited to research, audience
preferences and discover current trends, create engaging text, image and
video content, design posts to sustain readers' curiosity and create buzz
around current issues, stay up to date with changes in all social platforms
ensuring maximum effectiveness, train leaders how to use social media in a
cohesive/beneficial way, and oversee social media accounts. Members on this
committee should be proficient computer users.

13: SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE

Details
Charge: To conduct the affiliate scholarship program and to develop and
implement effective strategies to increase the visibility of the program and
increase participation.

14: Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion committee

Detail
Charge: to provide education and training, guidance and advocacy where
needed. Our diverse community includes, but is not limited to, the
intersectionality of ability, age, religion, race, ethnicity, culture,
gender identity or expression, and sexual orientation.

15: Employment Committee

Detail
Charge: To inform the president about policies, legislation, strategies, and
initiatives on why NFBO should be involved to improve employment
opportunities for blind persons throughout the state and beyond; the
importance of holding various platforms on accessible technology,
socializations skills, resume writing, career exploration and preparing
employers for interviewing and hiring blind people; also prepare members for
the National and various Career Fairs through, Learning about new employment
resources. Networking and interviewing techniques; finally educating members
on the significance on how to advocate for reasonable accommodations,
rehabilitation services and other vital resources to aid one in being
productive and successful in obtaining and maintaining a career.

16: National Federation of the Blind of Ohio, Affiliate Website Committee

Detail
Charge: to suggest and assist the president with the redesigned of the web
page.
 the purpose of this committee, will be to modernize and unify the NFBO's
webpage.

Richard Payne,  President
937/829/3368
Rchpay7 at gmail.com <mailto:Rchpay7 at gmail.com>