[Ohio-Talk] Amazon advice

President Capital chapter president.capital.nfboh at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 19:15:04 UTC 2022

Hello Ohio friends and family,

I was wondering if any of you knew of who I should talk to at Amazon other than just calling the standard disability phone number. I just bought one of the amazon Halo bands. This is similar to fit pic, one of those wrist bands that you wear that monitors activity, sleep, heart rate, etc. This band also comes with a subscription for an app for your phone. Amazon halo. I was able to get my band completely set up, but many aspects of the app are not accessible. I was actually rather surprised by this, because Amazon is very accessible for most things. But, many of the features and functions of the app are just not accessible. All of the words on the pages just run together with no distinguishable buttons to get to the different activities. For example, there are many different workout videos available, but, even if you can get to the listing of them, they just read them off and run together. No way to have voice over highlight and choose which ones you’re interested in. Same can be said for many of the pages  with the app. I did call the customer with disabilities line with Amazon and reported this, and they had me also report it to the halo team. However, I am not sure if this will be good enough. I know we had people who presented at national convention from Amazon, and I am hopeful to be able to reach one of them.  Do any of you have the contact information, or know where I could get it, to maybe let the powers that be with accessibility at Amazon know of this problem. Knowing Amazons track record, I am confident that if they are aware that one of their apps is not accessible to voice over, that they will do what needs to be done to make it work. We just Gotta let the right people know of the problem.

Thanks.

Annette

Annette Lutz
President
Capital Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio
614-288-4323
President.capital.nfboh at gmail.com

The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Everyday we raise the expectations of blind people because we know that low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life you want, blindness is not what holds you back.