[Ohio-Talk] HB 448

Todd Elzey toddelzey at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 19:06:09 UTC 2022

The NFB of Ohio continues to push for the passage of HB 488, our accessible
prescription labeling bill. Part of that push is a social media campaign to
generate support for the legislation.  We've just put out another post on
the NFB of Ohio's Facebook Page about why its important to support HB 448.
Here is a copy of what we posted. Please get this message out to your
social media networks and ask everyone you know to support HB 448.

The National Federation of the Blind is supporting HB 448, which would
require all Ohio pharmacies to provide prescription labels in a format,
such as audio, braille, or large print, that is accessible to individuals
who are blind. We believe that having access to prescription labeling
information is important for blind people to be able to safely and
independently take medications prescribed to them by their doctors. In
fact, having access to prescription labeling information can be a life and
death matter in some cases. Here is a recent story from an NFB member about
why he believes having access to accessible prescription labels is
important.

Avoid a common mistake through access to prescription labeling

I have more than one medication for which the instructions say: "store at
room temperature away from light and moisture, do not store in the
bathroom". How many people store medications in the bathroom medicine
cabinet? I never gave it a second thought until I first accessed one of the
labels on a prescription bottle. This is something I have not been able to
do until recently because I am blind, but something that most people take
for granted. But people who are blind or have low vision often do not have
access to life-saving information that is on the medicine bottle given to
them by their local pharmacy. because many pharmacies will not provide
labels in accessible formats. Representative Richard Brown is working to
change that with HB 448, a bill that when signed into law would require
pharmacies to make an accessible label available to blind, deafblind, and
low-vision customers. Access to this information saves lives. Join me and
let your legislator know you support HB 448.

Please reshare this post with your social media networks and ask your
network to also contact their State Representative to get them to support
HB 448.

#hb448accesssaveslives