[Ohio-Talk] A quick note.

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 02:41:44 UTC 2022

Greetings,
I hope this note finds all of you in great health and that this year has
started out well. I wanted to write to get some of the national
notifications out and to remind you again that the board of directors
meeting will be held on January 29,2022 at 10:00 AM. You can write me off
list if you have something that should be considered for the agenda.

Dave wrote me a letter yesterday letting me know that he has accepted a job
in another state and has resigned from chapter president I wish him the best
and hope he is very successful. Jessica Stover is now the chapter president
we will work to assure a smooth transition and will keep working with the
Akron chapter to build the Federation.

Critical Actions:
	Securing At-Home COVID Tests from the Federal Government:
	We learned yesterday that https://www.covidtests.gov/ is live for
people to order free COVID19 tests from the federal government. While the
website can be used by blind people to order tests, we have no information
from the government yet about the accessibility of those tests or accessible
instructions for those tests. When we secure information from the
government, we will share it with Federation members.

	At-Home COVID-19 Test Kits:
	Also, we are gathering information regarding the accessibility of
at-home COVID-19 test kits and websites used to order these tests from all
entities, including and in addition to the federal government’s. Please
share your experiences via NFB’s Access to COVID-19 Vaccine and Testing
Survey
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/legal-program/access-covid-19-vaccine-and
-testing-survey?q=programs-services%2Flegal-program%2Faccess-covid-19-vaccin
e-and-testing-survey>  and/or with Karl Belanger at kbelanger at nfb.org
<mailto:kbelanger at nfb.org> .

	Remembering Marsha Dyer:
	Some of you have asked about plans to offer a virtual connection to
the memorial event for Marsha Dyer on February 10. We will plan to offer a
virtual connection. We will share those details as soon as they are
available.

News:

	Civil Rights Museum of the Blind:
	The National Federation of the Blind has begun the initial planning
of a state-of-the-art museum dedicated to the civil rights struggle of blind
Americans, including the history of our organization as the leader in the
blind civil rights movement. Our museum will highlight the struggles,
triumphs, and challenges blind people have experienced and the contributions
we have made as we continue to secure our place in the world as fully
participating citizens.
	We would like to obtain your thoughts suggestions, and opinions to
help with the planning of our museum. We would appreciate it if you would
take the time to complete our online or telephone survey. You can complete
the survey online,
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1byRFNrP1741YzcukC0pcG3s4_1ufxpRuPTGXAM_q-J
E/viewform?edit_requested=true>  or you can complete the telephone survey by
calling 229-632-7878 or, toll-free, 833-632-7878.

	Career Opportunities:
	The National Federation of the Blind is seeking talented individuals
to join our staff team. We have several openings in various areas of
interest including Braille production, DEI, digital communications, fiscal
services, government affairs, and membership. We encourage candidates
seeking to join our movement to submit a general interest cover letter and
résumé to us expressing the types of positions being sought. Learn more and
share the opportunities: https://nfb.org/about-us/career-opportunities

	Code of Conduct FAQs Updated:
	The National Federation of the Blind Code of Conduct Frequently
Asked Questions
<https://nfb.org/about-us/history-and-governance/code-conduct/code-conduct-f
requently-asked-questions>  are updated and available to help with more
understanding of our Code of Conduct. The FAQs can be found along with
additional resources like the Obligations of Elected Leaders document at
nfb.org/codeofconduct
<https://nfb.org/about-us/history-and-governance/code-conduct> .

	Read the Latest Blog Post:
	Karl Belanger shares a review of the BrailleSense 6. He discussed
the physical description, basic operation, math, internal programs, Android
apps, and accessories. Read our latest Voice of the Nation’s Blind Blog
post, “The BrailleSense 6: Better, Faster, Familiar
<https://nfb.org/blog/braillesense-6-better-faster-familiar> ”

	Independence Market:
		Products of the Month:
			Talking Non-Contact Thermometer - $50.00
			Talking Oral Thermometer - $18.00
			Ladies Gold Bracelet Braille Watch - $155.00

		Sale and Close-Out Items (Limited Supplies):
			The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran, Audio, Read by Kenneth
Jernigan - $5.00
			The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran, Braille - $7.50
			Camera Bag - $1.00
			Monocular with Case - $3.00

	Lyft Denials Due to Service Animals:
	NFB and NAGDU will be gathering stories in video format from
individuals who are denied rides because of their service animals by Lyft
drivers during the week of January 24-30. For more information please visit
NAGDU’s webform <https://forms.gle/jLY8NiL7G6GgbrHS6> , and in the meantime,
please continue to document rideshare discrimination experiences through
NFB’s rideshare discrimination survey
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/legal-program/rideshare-discrimination-su
rvey> .

	Final Days of the 2021-2022 Braille Readers Are Leaders Contest:
	The American Action Fund for Blind Children and Adults runs the
Braille Readers Are Leaders contest to promote Braille reading for both
blind children and adults. The 2021-2022 contest is winding down and
concludes on Friday, January 21. The last day to log minutes you have read
between December 1, 2021, and January 21, 2022, is January 28, 2022. If you
have any questions, please email BrailleReadingContest at actionfund.org
<mailto:BrailleReadingContest at actionfund.org> .

	2022 Virtual Career Fair:
	The 2022 Virtual Career Fair will be held on February 7, 2022, from
11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., eastern. This is an opportunity for employers to
identify candidates and for job seekers to network and learn about important
business and workforce trends. Job seekers should also include a current
résumé with their registration to be shared with employers. For information
about how to register, contact Dick Davis at dickblind at gmail.com
<mailto:dickblind at gmail.com>  or John Dubay at jdubay at leadsatscale.com
<mailto:jdubay at leadsatscale.com> .
	A preparatory Fearless Interviewing webinar for blind job seekers
will occur on Monday, January 24, 2022, at 7:00 p.m., eastern.
	Please click the link below to join the webinar:
	https://zoom.us/j/97523588063
	Meeting ID: 975 2358 8063
	One tap mobile
	+13126266799,,97523588063# US (Chicago)
	+16468769923,,97523588063# US (New York)

	Where the Blind Work Webinars:
	As part of our Center for Employment Opportunities (CEO) initiative,
we are holding another in a series of Where the Blind Work webinars on
Wednesday, January 26, 2022, at 8:00 p.m., eastern, via Zoom. Hear from a
panel of blind professionals in a variety of fields and engage in Q&A.
	Please click the link below to join the webinar:
	https://zoom.us/j/94195782360
	Or one tap mobile : US: +13017158592,,94195782360# or
+13126266799,,94195782360#
	Or Telephone: Dial (for higher quality, dial a number based on your
current location):
	US: +1 301 715 8592 or +1 312 626 6799 or +1 646 876 9923 or +1 253
215 8782 or +1 346 248 7799 or +1 408 638 0968 or +1 669 900 6833
	Webinar ID: 941 9578 2360
	For information about how to register, please contact Maurice Peret
at 410-659-9314, extension 2350, or mperet at nfb.org <mailto:mperet at nfb.org> .

Dates to Keep in Mind:
	(all times eastern)
*	February 1: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.
*	February 7: Great Gathering-In, 5:00 p.m. (virtual)
*	February 7-10: Washington Seminar
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/washington-seminar/>
*	March 1: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.
*	March 31: Deadline to submit scholarship application
<https://nfb.org/scholarships>
*	July 5-10: National Convention, New Orleans

who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we work

Richard Payne,  President
937/829/3368
Rchpay7 at gmail.com <mailto:Rchpay7 at gmail.com>
blindness is not what holds you back.