[Ohio-Talk] Braille Literacy

Colleen Roth n8tnv52 at outlook.com
Mon Jan 31 23:07:17 UTC 2022

Thank you Maggie and Marianne for your posts.
I would like to add that it is very important that children get positive reenforcement when they read Braille. I would hope it would be from their parents and other family members.
Their teachers and school staff can also help. If they are involved in a Faith Community they might like to be a Reader or participate in an activity where their Braille skills can be used. Many Faith Communities offer Materials in Braille to those who qualify and request them. For example, Xavier Society for the Blind offers materials for Catholics. Lutheran Br Workers offers materials. I also know that there are materials for those who practice Judaism and Jehovah Witnesses to name a few more.
I started reading in public for college classes Sister Maura taught. I also helped a little girl who was losing her sight due to Leukemia.
Braille is beautiful. Let's celebrate it every day.
I still use my Perkins Braille Writer every day and have my original Braille Writer which I got in 1961.
The only thing wrong with it is that the spring which stops the paper from rolling into the machine broke.
I was going to have Alan Ackley fix it because he has always done a great job for me.
Bernie Dressell also cleaned it once. I hope I can find someone who will replace that spring and leave the good old fashioned roller intact.
Braille makes some of us purr.
Colleen Roth, President;
At Large Chapter;
NFB of Ohio