[Ohio-Talk] New Business Venture Catering to All Abilities--Needing Opinions/feedback

nakita griffin gnakita at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 10:05:42 UTC 2022

Hello. I am Nakita Griffin, a recent college graduate of Otterbein
University with my bachelor's in psychology. I am also an author of gay
romance and erotic romance who just happens to be blind, and I explore the
tough subjects while including disability in my books. I am writing in
regards to a business venture that a group of friends and I are wanting to
start, and it relates to these subjects.
Let me pose a question: have you ever been to a party or engagement where
you've felt alone because no one's engaging you in conversation? Have you
ever felt excluded at family gatherings because everyone around you is
doing something that feels like you're being ignored: e.g. ogling the hot
men on OkCupid, laughing at the trending videos on TikTok, or maybe even
learning the latest dance that's out now? Have you ever just felt...
different when around sighted peers or family members? All of these things
can leave us feeling alone, sad, and even angry or upset. No one wants to
feel left out or excluded, or like no one understands us, which is why I am
so grateful for communities where disabled people can be themselves.
There's no reason to hide around others like us.
So, what does this have to do with me and my business venture, you may ask.
Well, my friends and I are all visually impaired/blind, and we wanted to
create a safe place for the disabled to express themselves freely. Now, as
mentioned before, I write erotic romance, the kind that includes spanking,
bites, marks, and bruises; but also aftercare, love, trust, guidance, and
ownership. Well, now you may be thinking: Okay, and?
My books include elements of BDSM, which the definition from Wikipedia
reads:
"BDSM is a variety of often erotic practices or roleplaying involving
bondage, discipline, dominance and submission, sadomasochism, and other
related interpersonal dynamics. "
A comment from Urban Dictionnary refers to BDSM as:
"A physical, psychological and usually sexual power-role-play with
consensual participants."
My definition is: a lifestyle practice involving play or sexual arousal in
the categories of bondage and discipline, dominance and submission, and
sadism and masochism between two or more consenting persons. This lifestyle
practice is enjoyed by many people around the world, and in my books, my
characters, who I've mentioned above are also blind, enjoy the various
activities that encompass the acronym.
Now, you may really be wondering: why is this important to us? Well, my
friends and I want to create a BDSM club for everyone, but the main goal is
to make the disabled feel safe, comfortable, and welcome. The club would be
owned by blind persons, and we would take the necessary steps to make sure
everyone's ability is catered to. Another goal of the club, All Access, is
its convenience. We want this to be a place where anyone in Central Ohio
can come and enjoy themselves safely, freely, and without judgment, and
because all of the BDSM playspaces are farther out, we need something close
in proximity.
There is also this stigma surrounding the disabled and sex. People don't
believe that we have it, and opening this club would be a way to allow the
disabled to express themselves freely, not just in that aspect, but
sexually as well. I think that this is so empowering and freeing to have a
place like this, not where disability is fetishized, but where we as
people, regardless of ability, can congregate and learn together.
So, how can you help? If this interests you in any capacity, please feel
free to reach out. I want to create a welcoming environment where everyone
can learn, grow, and play, regardless of ability, and I'm looking for
advice on how to make this happen. Would you enjoy or want a club like
this? Would this be something that you'd be willing to offer ideas, advice,
or suggestions to make this the best place in Columbus, Ohio? Would you
invest time or money to see this idea come to fruition? I believe that this
could benefit a lot of people, but wanted to gather opinions and feedback
before I moved forward with planning. Thanks for your time, and I look
forward to hearing from you all soon!