[Ohio-Talk] URGENT - H.B. 448

Todd Elzey toddelzey at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 20:13:34 UTC 2022

Good afternoon!  If you haven't already done so, we need everyone to email
House Insurance Committee Chairman Thomas E. Brinkman, Jr. to call upon him
to schedule H.B. 448 for its next hearing.  We can't present our testimony
regarding H.B. 448 until this hearing is scheduled. In addition, getting
the committee to pass out H.B. 448 as soon as possible is our only hope of
getting H.B. 448 passed and signed by the Governor before the end of the
legislative session. So email Chairman Brinkman now to ask him to schedule
H.B. 448 for its proponent testimony hearing.

I have just sent my email. Here is what I said.

Chairman Brinkman:

On February 16, 2022, the House Insurance Committee held its first hearing
on H.B. 448. The Committee has scheduled two hearings since the 16th, March
2nd, and March 9th. Unfortunately, H.B. 448 has not been scheduled for its
second hearing for Proponent Testimony. H.B. 448 is an extremely important
piece of legislation because it will help protect the health and safety of
blind and visually impaired Ohioans by requiring pharmacies to provide
prescription labels in formats that are accessible to the blind and
visually impaired. This is vital because currently many blind and visually
impaired Ohioans do not have access to vital information to ensure that
they take prescriptions as prescribed by their doctor. In fact, often it is
even difficult for blind and visually impaired Ohioans to identify which
medicine they are taking because of the similarities in pill sizes and
packaging. I personally know of at least 14 Ohioans who are prepared to
present written or in-person testimony to the Ohio House Insurance
Committee once you schedule H.B. 448 for the proponent testimony hearing. I
am writing today to urge you to schedule all necessary hearings so that
H.B. 448 passes out of the House Insurance Committee as quickly as possible
to ensure the health and safety of all blind and visually impaired Ohioans
who need accessible prescription labels to properly take prescription
medications. Every day these hearings are delayed jeopardizes the health
and safety of thousands of blind and visually impaired Ohioans. Please let
me know if you have any questions regarding this issue, and I look forward
to hearing that H.B. 448 has been scheduled for its proponent, opponent,
and interested party hearings.

Sincerely,

Todd Elzey
3779 Waterbury Drive