[Ohio-Talk] NFB Bell Academy in Ohio

Todd Elzey toddelzey at gmail.com
Sun May 8 16:50:03 UTC 2022

Fellow Federationists:

Good afternoon!  Each year the NFB hosts an annual NFB BELL Academy® for
youth 4-12 years old.  BELL stands for Braille Enrichment for Literacy and
Learning. The NFB BELL Academy is for 4-12 year old blind and low vision
children who do not receive enough Braille and nonvisual skills instruction
in school, who could benefit from more Braille exposure over the Summer, or
who would enjoy connecting with blind role models.

This year the NFB of Ohio will be hosting an NFB BELL Academy at the Ohio
State School for the Blind in Columbus August 7-12, 2022. Registration is
now open for the NFB of Ohio's BELL Academy and we need to get the word out
about the academy so that as many children as possible can benefit from
this program.

One way we want to promote the 2022 NFB of Ohio BELL Academy is via Social
Media. I am asking that all Chapters, Divisions, and individual members
share the news about the 2022 NFB BELL Academy via your Social Media
profiles such as Facebook, Twitter, etc. Below are several sample Facebook
and Twitter Posts you can use in promoting the BELL Academy:

Twitter:

Each bullet point below is a sample tweet.

·         Summer program opportunity for blind and low-vision children ages
4 to 12! Register now for the NFB BELL in Ohio that will be held August
7-12, 2022 in Columbus. https://nfb.org/programs-services/nfb-bell-academy

·         #NFBBELL is a summer program to expose blind children to Braille
in fun and engaging ways. Learn more now!
https://nfb.org/programs-services/nfb-bell-academy

·         Registration deadline is approaching for NFB BELL in Ohio —a
summer program for blind and low-vision children ages 4-12.
https://nfb.org/programs-services/nfb-bell-academy

·         Through NFB BELL Academy here in Ohio, we raise expectations for
blind students and empower them to live the lives they want. Learn more at
https://nfb.org/programs-services/nfb-bell-academy

·         Students participating in #NFBBELL Ohio are not only building
foundations in Braille, they are also building confidence and independence.
Learn more at https://nfb.org/programs-services/nfb-bell-academy

Facebook:

·         Summer opportunity for blind and low-vision children! The NFB
BELL® Academy program is a life changing experience for children age four
through twelve. It gives them exposure to Braille in fun and engaging ways
like creating crafts, playing Braille games, and fun field trip
experiences. Children also gain confidence, learn independent living
skills, and have the opportunity to connect with blind mentors. Register
now for the upcoming NFB BELL in Ohio.
https://nfb.org/programs-services/nfb-bell-academy #NFBBELL

·         Students participating in NFB BELL Academy are introduced to
blind role models who show that living the life you want is
achievable. Register
now for the upcoming NFB BELL in Ohio.
https://nfb.org/programs-services/nfb-bell-academy #NFBBELL

·         In addition to Braille, NFB BELL Academy participants are
learning skills in independent travel and confidence. These are building
blocks for not only their education but their entire lives. Register now
for the upcoming NFB BELL in Ohio.
https://nfb.org/programs-services/nfb-bell-academy #NFBBELL
This year's hashtag for NFB BELL is #NFBBELL.  Please use this hashtag on
all social media posts related to NFB BELL to help increase the program's
social media presence.

Also, particularly when you are not constrained by space and are able to
make slightly longer posts, please consider personalizing the post by
explaining why you think NFB BELL is is important/beneficial. I've included
my recent Facebook post below.

Here is my Facebook post example:

"Good afternoon Facebook friends. As many of you know I am legally
blind/low vision. Or as I have come to think of it I am a person who is
blind and has residual vision. I remember that when I started Kindergarten
in West Jefferson, Ohio my blindness was used to completely isolate me from
the rest of the students in my class. The teachers sat me in the back of
the room and gave me a coloring book and crayons to color all day. At
recess, I wasn't allowed on the playground to play with the other kids but
instead had to sit on a bench next to the teacher watching the other kids
play.

Now as you might imagine this was quite isolating and very distressing. To
this day I can't tell you the name of one kid I went to Kindergarten with.
Given that isolation had I remained in West Jefferson I almost certainly
would never had received any education, would never have gone to college,
and would never have graduated from law school.

But I was lucky. Although my family had absolutely no experience with
blindness or disabilities, they did know enough to understand that what was
happening in West Jefferson was not right. So they only let me stay in that
Kindergarten class for about 6 months, and the following year enrolled me
at the Ohio State School for the Blind in Columbus. At OSSB I went to
school with other blind students, learned that blind people can be
productive members of society, and even had several blind teachers over the
years.

Now today, I hope and believe no blind child has to endure the complete
isolation that I had to endure at West Jefferson. But there is one common
factor between my Kindergarten experience and the experience of many young
blind children today. That common factor is a lack of exposure to positive
blind role models. This happens because blindness is a low incidence
disability, and often, particularly in smaller communities/schools a child
who is blind can be the only blind person in the community. So this leads
to many blind children receiving a better education than I would have
received at West Jefferson, but never truly understanding the capacity of
blind people to live full lives as productive members of society.

Fortunately, the National Federation of the Blind understands the
importance of blind children having positive blind role models in their
lives. That is why the NFB offers a special Summer opportunity for blind
and low-vision children to meet blind role models, improve their blindness
skills, and learn to live the life they want to live.!

The NFB BELL® Academy program is a life changing experience for children
age four through twelve. It gives them exposure to Braille in fun and
engaging ways like creating crafts, playing Braille games, and fun field
trip experiences. Children also gain confidence, learn independent living
skills, and have the opportunity to connect with blind mentors.

The 2022 NFB BELL Academy in Ohio will take place August 7-12, 2022 at the
Ohio State School for the Blind in Columbus. To learn more and to register
for this program, please visit
https://nfb.org/programs-services/nfb-bell-academy

While I eventually gained some of the skills and knowledge taught at NFB
BELL from the School for the Blind and later via the NFB, I can't even
imagine what a difference this type of experience would have made had I had
it before or during that fateful Kindergarten 6 months at West Jefferson.

If you know of a blind child please share this information about the 2022
NFB BELL Academy in Ohio with them and their families so that they can
learn to live the lives they want to live now. And even if you don't know a
blind child, please share this post with your social media networks because
you never know who you know who might know a blind child who can benefit
from this life altering program.

Finally, please know that NFB BELL is also offered in many other states
around the country so please check the registration link for information
about programs in other states. Register now for the upcoming NFB BELL in
Ohio. https://nfb.org/programs-services/nfb-bell-academy

For more information about the NFB BELL in Ohio you can contact NFB BELL
Ohio Coordinator Eric Duffy at peduffy63 at gmail.com or at 614-377-9877.
#NFBBELL"

Let's get posting about NFB Bell Ohio on social media and get as many
children as possible to benefit from this important NFB program.

Todd Elzey, Chairman
NFB of Ohio Promotions Committee