[Ohio-Talk] Children Using Canes

Colleen Roth n8tnv52 at outlook.com
Fri May 13 22:22:55 UTC 2022

Hello Marianne,
My Braille Teacher, Sister Maura O'Brien, had my grandfather cut a wooden cane to my size. It had a Metal Tip on it. I started using it in secod grade. I used it at school and on the Playground. I also used it on some outings but used Sighted Guide too. I did use the cane to warn me of dropoffs.
When I sttted attending OSSB I was frustrated because I couldn't use my cane. I liked to locate things with it. I still used Sighted Guide but it did give me information.
I never used Echolocation and hated walking without a cane and navigating outside at OSSB. I always got lost when I wasn't in a group.
I did not like to walk alone on Campus. It is cruel to have children walk without a cane like that.
When we were in the country, 2 acres, my grandparents called the Farm I used my cane particularly after my grandmother fell and broke her ankle. There was no phone out there then.
I manage to yell loud enough for the neighbor to hear me but I feel quite unhaspy when I do not have a phone (house phone) and a cane if I am outside alone.
I think it was pretty amazing that my Grandfather and Sister Maura came up with me using a cane in 1959.
Sister Maura got her Master's from Catholic University of America in work with the Totally Blind. Another Ursuline got her Master's in work with the Visually Impaired. Sister Joan of Arc never used her Degree.
When you get used to using your cane it is easier to use it in public. I was never allowed to use my cane when my mother was present.
Colleen Roth, President;
At Large Chapter;
NFB of Ohio;