[Ohio-Talk] Flying alone tips?

Barbara Pierce barbara.pierce9366 at gmail.com
Wed May 25 15:42:48 UTC 2022

The first thing is to be sure that you have your flight numbers, gate numbers, and times in a form that you can refer to. I like to have pockets in my clothes so that I have a handy place to tuck my ID and boarding pass as well as a supply of $1 bills. You should decide how much assistance you want to accept. Macy is right that it depends on how much time you have. The hard part of moving independently through an airport is getting people to give you directions that are useful and not the It’s too hard, Over there, beyond the blue sign. Sort of information. When I ask for information, I usually point so that they can respond even by moving my hand to the correct direction. If I have not snagged assistance—and I never have climbed into a wheelchair—I just begin walking and looking around. Someone usually stops to ask if I need help. I usually respond that I need information. It is good if you can get the gate and concourse numbers so that you have a destination to give people. If I am being accompanied by an employee, I get him or her to help me find a seat near the jetway, and I make sure that I know how to get to the jetway. Please don’t forget to tip employees before they leave. Sometimes you do have someone who is up the chain far enough not to take tips, but blind people often slide out of paying for services that are people’s bread and butter.  If I am in a line of passengers boarding by row number, I ask the person in front of me to tell me when they are moving forward. You can slide your cane forward till you reach a shoe and move when you feel the shoe move. This takes practice, and sometimes people are bothered by it. If I am working my way to a specific seat row  number, I ask those already seated  what row they are in, and then it is simple to count rows. Cabin crew members are anxious to help you find your seat, and you can use them if you feel like it, but I usually feel more in control if I ask passengers.

The airlines often have someone waiting to walk you to your next gate whether or not you have requested the service. Use them if you want to; you can even ask to have the plane met by an assistant. But if you do that, you have to hang around till they get there. I usually strike out on my own with directions to the gate if I can screw them out of the gate agent.

Like Macy, I am happy to talk you through this whole process on the phone if you like. I am used to doing it with scholarship winners.
Barbara
Barbara Pierce (she, her, hers)
President Emerita
Barbara.pierce9366 at gmail.com
440-774-8077

The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise expectations for blind people because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and their dreams. You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.