[Ohio-Talk] We are Getting Near The Big Event! So Are You Ready?

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 12:54:04 UTC 2022

We are Getting Near The Big Event! So Are You Ready?

I am writing to provide you with valuable information and to give you
National updates that are at the end of my note.

First, last week a member was interviewed by spectrum News, which is a  tv
station celebrating World Vision Day. So, we ensured that Blind Equality
Achievement Month was instituted in the interview., Thanks to Ivory Patillo
for leading this charge. Ivory, you done an excellent job and the affiliate
would like to thank you for being available.

As a reminder , Chapter and division presidents, you should already have
submitted your gavel reports to the Awards Committee. The deadline was
October 1, 2022. Whether you decided to take part in that process or not You
are required to email me a report with the activity from your Chapter or
Division.

As a further reminder, Chapter and Division lists and dues are to be
submitted. each local Chapter or Division shall provide to the Secretary of
the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio a current list of names,
addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses when applicable of its
members. I should also get a copy of this information at the same time.
Additionally dues for your chapter or division should be sent to Todd Elzey
at 611 Blenheim Rd., Columbus, OH 43214, no later than one week before the
convention. you also can send dues by Zell to, treasurer at nfbohio.org
<mailto:treasurer at nfbohio.org> . I also need to know who you are appointing
to the nominating committee to represent your Chapter asap.

When you receive this note, the block to reserve your room at the Convention
hotel will be closed and you may have to pay a higher rate. Also, you have
one week to pre-register for the Convention. Please go online to take care
of this important task and pre-register. WWW.NFBOhio.ORG
<http://WWW.NFBOhio.ORG> .

Suzanne and the Convention Planning Committee is putting on the finishing
touches on ensuring that the Convention is inspiring, elegant and moving in
the right direction without any glitches. But, they also need ambassadors
who will be human signs, assisting members who are in need, and for any
other task to help this grand occasion through to its entirety. If you would
like to be an ambassador, reach out to Carolyn Peters at 937-657-5134.

The Cleveland Chapter is reminding all to provide snacks, drinks and paper
products for the hospitality room. This will be open to all during November
4th from 5:30 to 8:30 PM. If you will donate, please contact Joann Williams
at 216-229-4733 or bring your goodies to room 121 in the hotel.

Here is a note from the Convention Planning Committee:
Good Evening All,
In an effort to provide accommodations during the convention, we are asking
all who have a food allergy to report it to the Ohio Affiliate President or
me by email off list. If it is egg, cheese, fish, mushrooms or even
chocolate, we want to ensure that you have a pleasant experience at the
convention. In addition, if you know someone who is not on the Listserve,
have them to call to provide  this vital information.
Please respond by October 28, 2022.
SMTurner.234 at gmail.com <mailto:SMTurner.234 at gmail.com>
Thank you for your cooperation!

Here is a note from the Resolution Chair, Todd Elzey:
Good afternoon fellow Federationists. I am started to get excited that we
are now very close to our annual State Convention November 4, 5, and 6 in
Independence. I know the Convention Planning Committee has been hard at work
planning a great weekend.
One of the more important functions of the Convention is considering
Resolutions. Resolutions are the organization's policy statements. I've
heard several super ideas for resolutions this year, but I haven't seen
drafts from most of you. Our original deadline for Resolution submission is
fast approaching. But I know that fall can be busy with back to school
events and other activities. So I'm going to extend the deadline for
Resolutions to 5:00 P.M. on Friday, October 28, 2022. This is a final
deadline however as we will need to get the resolutions in final form for
presentation at the Convention Resolutions Committee Meeting.
I hope to see some great Resolutions for us to consider this year. Please
reach out to me if you have any questions regarding submitting a proposed
resolution.
Sincerely,
Resolutions Committee

Critical Actions:
October 18 Oral Argument for Orozco v. Merrick in Washington, DC:
We invite and encourage NFB members to attend the in-person oral argument
for the NFB-supported case, Orozco v. Merrick, on October 18 in Washington,
DC. NFB member Joe Orozco is appealing a federal district court decision
finding that blind federal employees do not have a private right of action
to directly enforce Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act against their
federal employers. The impact of the decision could extend to members of the
public seeking to access federal electronic information technology as well
as other disabled federal employees using technology at work. Please contact
Valerie Yingling at 410-659-9314, extension 2440, or legal at nfb.org
<mailto:legal at nfb.org>  for more information about attending in person. For
those who cannot attend in person, we encourage you to listen to the oral
argument live via the court’s YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/USCourtsCADC
<http://www.youtube.com/USCourtsCADC> .

Upcoming Event: Information Session with Tonya Baña:
As part of our safety and support work, the National Federation of the Blind
Code of Conduct Feedback Committee has been gathering information for
improving the participant experience, socializing the code itself and
associated procedures, and any barriers to understanding the policies and
standards established for our community. There is an upcoming information
session on Sunday, October 23, at 8:00 p.m., eastern, with Tonya Baña, our
external investigator. Zoom and details are available on the nfb.org event
page for the information session.

News:
Blind Voter Survey:
Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act requires that voters with
disabilities must be afforded an opportunity to vote privately and
independently that is equivalent to the opportunity afforded to voters
without disabilities. This requirement applies to both in-person voting and
voting by mail for the upcoming general election on November 8, 2022.

After exercising the fundamental right to vote, all blind and low-vision
voters are encouraged to complete our 2022 Blind and Low-Vision Voter
Experience Survey! The 2022 survey consists of two separate surveys: one
survey for those who voted in person at an early voting center or their
local polling place, and a second survey for blind and low-vision voters who
voted by mail. Both surveys can be accessed from our Voting Resources
webpage.

Help Us Meet the Match: Vispero Is Matching Donations through December 31,
2022:
•	Give online at nfb.org/donate
•	Mail a check to National Federation of the Blind, 200 East Wells
Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
•	Contribute by phone using a credit card by calling 410-659-9314,
extension 2430
•	Share this information with family and friends!

Thank you for contributing to our mission and helping blind people live the
lives they want.

Websites and Software Applications Accessibility Act (S. 4998/H.R. 9021):
Since the introduction of the Websites and Software Applications
Accessibility Act in both the House and the Senate, we have been copied on
several your emails urging members of Congress to cosponsor the bills. This
is fantastic, and really demonstrates the power we have when we all set out
to accomplish one goal. Please keep up this magnificent work and continue to
email and call your members of Congress to urge them to cosponsor the
Websites and Software Applications Accessibility Act (S. 4998/H.R. 9021).

It is Still Blind Equality Achievement Month!
Let us keep engaging on social media using the hashtag #BlindMonth. Members
of the National Federation of the Blind are still conducting activities in
local communities such as white cane walks, film screenings, and social
events. If you still have events or have had one, please share a description
of your affiliate- or chapter-related #BlindMonth activities, including the
white cane proclamations, to web at nfb.org <mailto:web at nfb.org>  so they can
be posted on the Blind Equality Achievement Month page.

Social Security Administration Announces 2023 Cost-of-Living Adjustment:
On Thursday, October 13, 2022, the Social Security Administration (SSA)
announced the cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) for the 2023 benefit amounts.
The increase for 2023 is 8.7 percent and will have the following impact on
benefit amounts beginning in January of next year:
Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
2022 benefit: $841
2023 benefit: $914

Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)
Average 2022 benefit: $1,364
Average 2023 benefit: $1,483

SSDI Substantial Gainful Activity (SGA) Threshold for Blind People
2022: $2,260
2023: $2,460

NIH RADx COVID-19 At-Home-Test-Experience Survey:
The National Institutes of Health Rapid Acceleration of Diagnostics (NIH
Radix) has extended the closing date for its COVID-19
At-Home-Test-Experience survey. If you haven’t already, please take time to
complete this important survey:
https://gatech.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_bdqaz5GtByY4H1I

Where the Blind Work:
Join us on Friday, October 21, at 8:00 p.m., eastern, as we celebrate the
work and accomplishments of successfully employed blind professionals.
Register at
https://nfb.org/programs-services/employment/where-the-blind-work-webinars-r
egistration.
Fearless Job Interview Part 2: the Dos and Don’ts of Business Communication,
October 13, 2022, at 7:00 p.m., eastern. Join Zoom:
https://zoom.us/j/93698466990

Fall virtual career fair on Wednesday, October 26, from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m.,
eastern. The deadline to register is Friday, October 14, at noon, eastern.
•	Registration for Job Seekers
•	Registration for Employers

Dates to Keep in Mind:
(All times eastern)
•	October 21: Where the Blind Work Webinar
•	October 25: Education Technology Accessibility Boutique
•	January 30, 2023: Great Gathering-In
•	March 23, 2023: Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium
•	July 1-6, 2023: National Convention; Houston, Texas

Richard Payne,  President
937/829/3368
Rchpay7 at gmail.com <mailto:Rchpay7 at gmail.com>
blindness is not what holds you back.