[Ohio-Talk] Contest

Todd Elzey toddelzey at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 13:23:11 UTC 2022

Good morning to one and to all. I hope everyone is having a blast with the
back and forth between Mr. Duffy and President Payne on the door prizes.
There are only hours left I gather for pre-registration so let's get out
there and recruit those new convention attendees.  Prizes are fun - I
surely love to win them also. But let's also remember why its so important
for all of us to attend the Convention. The National Federation of the
Blind of Ohio's annual convention is the largest gathering of blind people
in the State of Ohio each year. This is the first time we have been able to
hold an in-person convention since the Pandemic. When we come together in
such a large group, we not only have the opportunity to share our ideas and
passion for changing what it means to be blind, but we also show the public
the true capabilities of blind people. And from the perspective of
recruiting new members, we can also show people who might be struggling
with their blindness that blindness is not the characteristic that defines
them and with the proper blindness skills they can do anything they want no
matter what anyone else says.

One of our NFB of Ohio members, Mr. Ivory Patillo, is already talking about
how important the convention is to him. Mr. Patillo was recently
interviewed by Spectrum News1 Cleveland. In that interview, Mr. Patillo
talked about how the convention is important to him because of the NFB of
Ohio's Parental Rights legislation, SB 202, which will ensure that no blind
person in Ohio ever has to live with the threat of losing their children
simply because they are blind. Check out the article at:
https://spectrumnews1.com/oh/columbus/news/2022/10/12/world-sight-day  The
National Federation of the Blind is also featuring this article in the In
the News section of nfb.org at https://nfb.org/about-us/press-room/nfb-news

Mr. Patillo brings up only one of the great reasons to attend the
convention. There are many others such as voting rights, employment rights,
science and stem education, and others. So if you haven't signed-up for the
convention yet, do so now and get out there and recruit as many new
attendees as possible. Let's make this the best NFB of Ohio Convention ever
because when we work together we can change what it means to be blind in
Ohio.

Todd Elzey