[Ohio-Talk] STEM2U at COSI Information

carolinekarbo at gmail.com carolinekarbo at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 16:08:56 UTC 2023

Hello,

Here is more information about the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio
STEM2U program being hosted May 21st, 2023 at COSI! The flyer is attached in
various formats and the information is also copied below my signature and in
this Google Doc link
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-U6yiF40FTkxGqO1wNYAvfNgi1dQ50PAOsVUr02
5lPw/edit?usp=sharing> . Please spread the word!

Thank you!

Caroline Karbowski

CarolineKarbo at gmail.com <mailto:CarolineKarbo at gmail.com>

513 374 3578

STEM2U

 Held at COSI in Columbus with the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio

The National Federation of the Blind works to improve opportunities for
blind students in the areas of science, technology, engineering, and
mathematics. NFB STEM2U, brings nonvisually accessible STEM lessons and
activities to blind youth. The theme this year is space! Students of varying
ages across the country will receive instruction from NFB personnel, blind
mentors and expert instructors.

Attendee information

Who:

Blind and low-vision youth grades 3-12* who

*	Are interested in STEM
*	Are unsure about STEM but interested in a fun program specific to
blind students
*	Are in need of hands-on, nonvisual skills training opportunities
from blind role models

Students do NOT need to be from Ohio.

*If your student wants to participate but is not in grades 3-12, contact
Caroline at  <mailto:CarolineKarbo at gmail.com> CarolineKarbo at gmail.com.

When:

May 21st2023 (Sunday) from 10:00 am to 3:30 pm

Where:

Center of Science and Industry (COSI)
333 W Broad St.
Columbus, OH 43215

How to Register:

Sign up by May 7th, 2023 using the
<https://nfb.org/form/nfb-stem2u-application> NFB STEM2U sign up form

 <https://nfb.org/form/nfb-stem2u-application>
https://nfb.org/form/nfb-stem2u-application

In the sign up you can include dietary and access needs for your student.

More details:

*	Lunch will be provided for students and volunteers.
*	The event is free for students participating! Admission to the COSI
exhibits is not included. If enough families are interested in viewing the
COSI museum while their child is at STEM2U, we may be able to get discounted
group tickets. Parking for families will be free.
*	Students will receive instructional materials in large print and
braille, the Sensational Blackboard (tactile drawing board), and tactile
graphics to keep.

Volunteer information

We are looking for volunteers to

*        Assist with setup (8-10 am) and teardown (3:30-4:30 pm).

*        Assist students with activities (10-3:30 pm)

*        Assisting with drop off/pick up

*        Talk with families

Volunteers will have an interview with Ohio STEM2U coordinators. If over 18,
the volunteer will need to take the NFB background check (unless they have
taken one since May 21, 2022). Background check fees will be covered by NFB.
If under 18, a parent/guardian needs to sign a form allowing the minor to
volunteer.

We will provide training beforehand via Zoom and during the setup time from
8-10 am.

We are seeking volunteers who have high expectations of blind students and a
positive philosophy on blindness. Experience in STEM is not required.

If you are interested in volunteering, please contact Laura Pitner at
<mailto:laurapitner22 at gmail.com> laurapitner22 at gmail.com, or if you prefer
phone, call or text Caroline Karbowski at 513-374-3587.

We will be in contact with you on the interview and background check.

Contact

Coordinators for the Ohio event

Caroline Karbowski:  <mailto:CarolineKabo at gmail.com> CarolineKarbo at gmail.com
or call or text 513-374-3587

Laura Pitner:  <mailto:laurapitner22 at gmail.com> laurapitner22 at gmail.com

National STEM2U Coordinator

Karen Anderson:  <mailto:STEM at nfb.org> STEM at nfb.org and 410-659-9314,
extension 2418. Note, sometimes NFB emails do not go through with their
filter. If you do not hear a response contact Karen directly via phone or
her email  <mailto:KAnderson at nfb.org> KAnderson at nfb.org.

About the NFBO

The National Federation of the Blind of Ohio (NFBO) is a 501c3 non-profit
organization and a founding affiliate of the National Federation of the
Blind (NFB). We are proud to be an integral part of the oldest and largest
blindness organization in the United States. We are a diverse group of
people dedicated to changing what it means to be blind. Our members work
tirelessly to break down the legal, social, and personal barriers to living
the lives we want.

 <http://www.nfbohio.org/> www.nfbohio.org

Support

Due to the generous donation from General Motors, blind students across the
country will learn fundamental nonvisual tools and techniques they can use
to pursue further education and careers in STEM. The members of the NFB are
extremely grateful for this gift from GM, which will truly help blind
students live the lives they want.

National Federation of the Blind of Ohio logo. Live the life you want

*If your student wants to participate but is not in grades 3-12, contact Caroline at CarolineKarbo at gmail.com.
When:
May 21st2023 (Sunday) from 10:00 am to 3:30 pm

Where:
Center of Science and Industry (COSI)
333 W Broad St.
Columbus, OH 43215
How to Register:
Sign up by May 7th, 2023 using the NFB STEM2U sign up form

If you are interested in volunteering, please contact Laura Pitner at laurapitner22 at gmail.com, or if you prefer phone, call or text Caroline Karbowski at 513-374-3587.

Caroline Karbowski: CarolineKarbo at gmail.com or call or text 513-374-3587