[Ohio-Talk] ] Sad News Regarding Blind, INC.

smturner.234 at gmail.com smturner.234 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 15:52:29 UTC 2023

From: NFBofSC <nfbofsc-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of Steve Cook via NFBofSC
Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2023 6:15 AM
To: 'NFB of South Carolina Mailing List' <nfbofsc at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Steve Cook <cookcafe at sc.rr.com>
Subject: [NFBofSC] Sad News Regarding Blind, INC.

Hello everyone,

I have some sad news about one of the training centers. It is regarding Blind, Inc. They will be suspending their services on January 1, 2024. Here is what they said on their Facebook page:

Steve Cook

//

"The Board of Directors of Blindness: Learning in New Dimensions, Inc. (BLIND, Inc.) regrets to announce that we will temporarily suspend all of our programs and services as of January 1, 2024.

We take this action with heavy hearts. After extensive deliberation over our current financial and organizational obligations, we believe suspending operations at this time in order to make future plans is the best and most responsible available course of action. This decision comes after a review of compounded circumstances that have developed over a period of years, leaving our organization with inadequate resources to advance our mission at this time. One factor of this evaluation is that our current building, the Pillsbury Mansion, which is on the national historic registry, needs millions of dollars in renovations that must be done in a manner that preserves its historic character. Unfortunately, we have determined that we are not in a position to undertake the necessary building renovations while still providing quality adjustment-to-blindness training.

We recognize that this decision will be painful to our students, our dedicated staff, and to all of our supporters in the community. We acknowledge that it comes at a particularly difficult time, with the holiday season and new year upon us. We were not able to find a viable way to alter the timing of this decision. Our leadership is working with the National Federation of the Blind, Louisiana Center for the Blind, and Colorado Center for the Blind to help during this transition.

We deeply appreciate all of the work everyone affiliated with BLIND, Inc. has done over the past three decades to help blind people build the skills and confidence to live the lives they want. Our high-quality training has impacted thousands of people, not only the many students that have walked with us, but also the blind community who connect with the positive philosophy and high expectations demonstrated from our alumni and friends. With the continued support of our board, partners, and community, our goal in the coming months is to re-imagine what adjustment to blindness training can be, and to reopen our doors with fresh approaches and insights and on a sound financial footing.

BLIND, Inc, established in 1986, is a training center and community of blind and low-vision people, proudly affiliated with the National Federation of the Blind. We believe blind people can do anything. Every day, we encourage and challenge each student. When you believe in yourself and experience a thriving community of positive blind people, nothing can hold you back from pursuing your dreams. Our mission and values will continue to guide us to dream without limits, be bold, and work with love. Thank you for your support."

The link to the Facebook post is here: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0Dp82jN6vBWAfzH7pHuaaoijJQHE3vF9N9kfqUqsBfe3TTMgytEj6g5cGk9kVoZ1fl <https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0Dp82jN6vBWAfzH7pHuaaoijJQHE3vF9N9kfqUqsBfe3TTMgytEj6g5cGk9kVoZ1fl&id=100063737372904> &id=100063737372904

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Armando Vias

Steve Cook

You are invited to join us on the 1st and 2nd Friday of each month at 8:00 PM Eastern for audio described movies using the below Zoom platform!

 <https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8032543777?pwd=QTVQd2RzN3l6QnNmZ0FmSnp6NG8vQT09> https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8032543777?pwd=QTVQd2RzN3l6QnNmZ0FmSnp6NG8vQT09

Meeting ID: 803 254 3777

To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for NFB_of_Georgia:
http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nfb_of_georgia_nfbnet.org/stanley7709%40gmail.com