[Ohio-Talk] Resignation Announcement

Todd Elzey toddelzey at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 01:23:23 UTC 2023

Fellow Ohio Federationists. This is likely the most difficult email I have
ever written in my entire life. But unfortunately, it is one that has to be
written.

As many of you will recall, we had an extremely divisive election process
at the 2022 State Convention. During that process, there were allegations
that the election process and those who opposed Suzanne Turner were racist.
I was saddened and very frustrated at how the convention election process
played out. While I did oppose Suzanne for President.  My opposition to her
candidacy had absolutely nothing to do with racism. Rather it was based on
what I believe to be leadership competence issues. Had members shouted at
the top of their lungs that I was wrong on competence issues, I would have
been fine with that as that's fair and a part of a healthy election
process. But I did not feel it was fair to characterize opposition to
Suzanne's candidacy as racist.

What many of you may not know is that those allegations spilled over into
an impromptu separate post-convention meeting held immediately following
the convention session in the hotel ballroom. I witnessed portions of that
meeting as I was packing up the Assistive Listening Device we used at
Convention. I did not engage in that discussion. Instead, I got our
equipment together and left as quickly as I could.

Since that day, I have been working behind the scenes to try and resolve
these issues for the affiliate. I have been working on the issues because I
care deeply for this organization and our goals. I wasn't only concerned
that some of us had been falsely accused of racism. But I was also
concerned that the individuals who made those accusations felt that there
is racism in this organization. If there is true racism in our organization
that needs to be dealt with also.

My efforts have included attempted direct communications with President
Payne, contacting the National Office for assistance, and even an attempted
mediation process with two members of our National Board.

But these efforts have not gone well at all. The first impact of the
Convention came with the fairly quick resignation of Barbara Pierce from
the Board of Directors and from her other Affiliate leadership roles. Our
affiliate lost a lot of leadership knowledge when she felt she had to walk
away from her leadership positions. To top it off, President Payne did not
officially inform the Board or the membership of this resignation until the
January 21, 2023, Board of Directors meeting.  I find it equally troubling
that President Payne has never acknowledged Barabara's many years of
service to our organization.

Despite being concerned about how President Payne had handled this
situation, I kept moving forward. However, I made it clear to President
Payne that I did not feel safe attending large-scale NFB of Ohio meetings
because of the possibility of once again being falsely accused of racism,

Despite all of the efforts at communications and the concerns I raised
about the racism issue and the concerns raised about not feeling safe at
large NFB of Ohio functions, President Payne does not appear to have taken
any action to address the situation. President Payne continually refused to
engage in any substantive conversations on the issues.

President Payne even elected to ignore concerns that were raised about the
NFB of Ohio having an adult entertainment gift bag that contained sex toys
and adult-rated video content in it, at our 2022 State Convention.

As things progressed, rather than improving, my relationship with President
Payne continued deteriorating. Simultaneously, my concern for the stability
of the Board and the Affiliate increased because of the lack of resolution
on the racism issues.

Despite never expressing any concerns prior to the 2022 State Convention,
President Payne even began expressing concerns about my performance as
Treasurer of the NFB of Ohio.

So, I struggled with the decision of whether to attend the Washington
Seminar because I would be working directly with President Payne and others
involved in the situation, without any resolutions to the issues or
safeguards in place. But because I am committed to the passage of our
legislative priorities I put my personal comfort aside for the benefit of
the organization and attended.

As it turned out, I thought this proved to be a superb decision. On Monday
of Seminar week, NFB of Ohio Secretary Eric Duffy, myself, and President
Payne had an impromptu meeting where we finally held the first substantive
discussions on the issues I and others are concerned about. In fact, one of
the things that came out of that meeting was that rather than emailing
concerns, we would once again begin picking up the phone and calling one
another with concerns. It was hoped that this change in communication
approach would help avoid misunderstandings in the future. So I left
Washington Seminar hopeful that we were finally moving forward towards
resolving some of our issues.

Unfortunately, that did not last long. This past Monday, President Payne
resumed questioning whether I was doing my treasurer's job correctly. He
asked two questions. One was regarding a pending voucher and another was
regarding the status of the financial report. The question regarding the
report was the pointed question that led to our current dispute.

Although we agreed that concerns such as the financial report issue were
going to be raised via telephone, had president Payne simply asked me these
questions via email, I would have simply replied back with the information
he was requesting. But President Payne took the unprecedented step of
including the entire NFB of Ohio Board of Directors in his email. So not
only did he not abide by his agreement to raise concerns via phone, he
escalated matters by voicing his concerns regarding my performance to the
entire Board of Directors.

At this point, I assumed that our agreement to work on things was off. I
also informed the National Board Members that were assisting us that I
didn't think mediation was going to work. I decided that mediation probably
wasn't going to work because it does not appear that President Payne is
willing to abide by his agreements.

This left me feeling that President Payne had essentially tried to throw me
under the bus with the Board. So, since President Payne had raised my
performance issues via an email copied to the entire Board, I elected to
continue the discussion regarding this issue and regarding the other issues
we faced with the entire Board. Things have deteriorated since. At one
point President Payne even stated in a communication that he had been
advised by legal counsel not to answer questions from me.

At this point, I have been accused by President Payne and apparently at
least one National Board Member of engaging in unprofessional
communications. This most recent issue came to a head this morning when
President Payne elected to start excluding me from at least some Board
communications. I'm going to let you the members decide if I've engaged in
unprofessional communications this week. I am including the entire week's
communications stream in this email below my signature. The communications
are in reverse chronological order. Some of the formatting is a little off
because of how the stream is put together via replies and forwards.

Among other issues, at one point this email stream lays out the reasons I
opposed Suzanne for President. I provided this information to the Board to
explain why my opposition had nothing to do with racism.

Anyway, with all this being said, it has become clear that the environment
on the NFB of Ohio Board is so toxic that I can no longer effectively work
and serve as Treasurer of this Affiliate. When I was elected for a second
term in November I thought I would be serving the full term and even
thought I would be serving the NFB of Ohio for many years to come. But
regardless of whether you think I am right or wrong on the substantive
issues, after reading this email and the week's emails provided below, I
doubt anyone in the Affiliate will believe that it would now be productive
for me to continue in the role. Certainly, it appears that President Payne
has lost confidence in me and no longer believes that he can work with me.

It has been an honor to serve you as your elected Treasurer. I wish I could
continue in the role and feel that I am being forced out because of the
toxic environment we now find ourselves. But I am writing this email to
announce to the membership that I will be resigning my position as
Treasurer effective February 28, 2023. I have selected the 28th as my final
date in the position to allow time to finish up the 2022 annual financial
report for our non-profit filing, to complete all remaining financial
transactions that are in progress, and to allow for transitioning our
accounts to the Treasurer that President Payne ultimately appoints.

Thank you!

Todd Elzey, Treasurer