[Ohio-Talk] The Jernigan principle of Support At Work

Eric Duffy peduffy63 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 21:23:39 UTC 2023

Many of you know what I mean when I talk about the Jernigan principle of support. Those who have been to a leadership seminar conducted by the National Federation of the Blind certainly should.

Dr. tenBroek was our founder and first long time leader. Then in the early 1950’s Kenneth Jernigan joined the movement. It did not take long for Jernigan to become a powerful voice in the organized blind movement. Different factions in the organization did what they could to pit Jernigan and tenBroek against each other. But those efforts were not successful. The two men were allies and friends. Jernigan told tenBroek that as long as he could agree with fifty-one percent of  what he  was doing as President of the National Federation of the Blind, he would have 100 percent of Jernigan’s support.

That has always made good sense to me, and it is a principle I have operated on during my involvement in the Federation.

When I left Baltimore to come back to Ohio, I told President Payne that the Jernigan principle of support was at work for me. I gave him 100 percent of my support and did all that I could to work for the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio. I don’t think he will deny that, but perhaps he might.

Now the principle is at work in a different way. Barbara Pierce had 100 percent of my support when she was President. The same was true for JW Smith, and  as I said that is the way it was for Richard when I returned to Ohio.

Now circumstances are different. The time has come for me to leave the organization that has given so much to me over the years. I have done what I can to give back. I will continue to do what I can to help blind people.

The friends I have made in the organization are still my friends as far as I am concerned.

Mr. President I have a Braille embosser that belongs to the organization. I will not ship it. It cannot be picked up before March 1 or after March 31. During that time period I am happy to work with you to return it to the organization.

I wish you and the organization well.

Eric