[Ohio-Talk] I’m Certified as a Braille Transcriber!

Ali Benmerzouga ali.benmerzouga at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 26 14:52:04 UTC 2023

Congrats!
Keep it up.
All the best!
Ali

-----Original Message-----
From: Ohio-Talk <ohio-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of Caroline Karbowski via Ohio-Talk
Sent: Sunday, February 26, 2023 12:55 AM
Cc: Caroline Karbowski <carolinekarbo at gmail.com>
Subject: [Ohio-Talk] I’m Certified as a Braille Transcriber!

Hello all!

On Friday I got my score back and I passed to be a literary braille transcriber! Yay!!!

I started the transcriber course 3.5 years ago and what I’m super happy about is I proofread my manuscript tactilely while looking at the print book to check. I realized looking visually at the braille manuscript and visually at the print book back-and-forth wasn’t efficient because I had to keep re-finding my place again. Doing the tactile/visual method allowed me to keep my place the whole time! I’m happy because I used to not trust myself to proofread tactilely.

I am hoping to use this to test out of braille classes in a future TVI/TBS program, and use the great background to continue to share about braille and teach it to others.

I’m considering starting some at-home transcribing. Honestly though not really sure where to get started in that! Kind of have a few other entrepreneurial ventures right now, too! I’m going to reach out to some of the transcriber groups that I’m in for some next step options but if you know of people let me know as well. I feel like there’s a big jump between just being certified and people who’ve been doing transcribing for a long time!

Thank you for all you support!

Caroline Karbowski
Carolinekarbo at gmail.com