[Ohio-Talk] Quick note.

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 20:22:43 UTC 2023

Dear Members and friends,

I must say that it is very hot, and I am convinced that this is not Texas.
We are back from the convention and as normal we must hit the ground running
by  continuing to build the Federation.

Last week I attended an event that reminded me just why we have to keep
diligent and be part of the conversation when it comes to blindness and
other disabilities. The doctor said in the presentation that they made that
blindness could be cured and no one had to be blind it was understandable to
me that she was speaking from the medical point of view and while science
has made a tremendous number of advancements that statement could not be
true. Yes, I had her to correct it and confirm her presentation from the
medical point of view.

Critical Actions:
	U.S. Access Board at Jernigan Institute:
	The U.S. Access Board will hold a public town hall meeting on
Tuesday, July 25, from 1:30-3:30 p.m., eastern, at the headquarters of the
National Federation of the Blind in Baltimore, Maryland. Attend in person or
virtually. Learn more about the upcoming Access Board meeting.
<https://www.access-board.gov/news/2023/03/30/u-s-access-board-to-hold-town-
hall-meeting-in-baltimore/>

News:
	National Convention Highlights:
	Thanks again to our members, sponsors, exhibitors, and everyone who
made #NFB23 a success. A post-convention survey is being sent out this week.
We are excited for your feedback. The convention highlights will be posted
at nfb.org/convention by July 31. Access the following highlights now
available.
*	2023 Banquet Address: Belief, Courage, and Wisdom: Centering on the
Blind People's Movement
<https://nfb.org/resources/speeches-and-reports/banquet-speeches/belief-cour
age-and-wisdom-centering-blind-peoples>
*	2023 Presidential Report
<https://nfb.org/resources/speeches-and-reports/presidential-reports/2023-pr
esidential-report>
*	2023 Resolutions
<https://nfb.org/resources/speeches-and-reports/resolutions/2023-resolutions

*	General Sessions and Board of Directors Meeting on YouTube
<https://www.youtube.com/@NationsBlind/streams>

	Upcoming: Presidential Release:
	The National Federation of the Blind Presidential Release #529
<https://nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/presidential-releases>  is
scheduled for Tuesday, August 1, at 8:00 p.m., eastern. Mark your calendar.
Zoom details coming soon.

	House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee Hearing on Autonomous
Vehicles:
	On Wednesday, July 26, the House Committee on Energy and Commerce
Subcommittee on Innovation, Data, and Commerce will be conducting a
legislative hearing titled "Self-Driving Vehicle Legislative Framework:
Enhancing Safety, Improving Lives and Mobility, and Beating China." I was
asked to testify at this hearing regarding the impact of autonomous vehicles
on people with disabilities. The hearing begins at 10:30 a.m., eastern, and
will be in the Rayburn House Office Building in room 2322. It is open to the
public for in-person attendance, or you can watch it online via the Energy
and Commerce Committee website
<https://energycommerce.house.gov/events/innovation-data-and-commerce-subcom
mittee-hearing-1> .

	Honor Roll Call:
	For affiliates and divisions still intending to make roll call
donations, please send an email to rollcall at nfb.org
<mailto:rollcall at nfb.org>  detailing the amount to go to each fund (Kenneth
Jernigan Fund, SUN Shares, White Cane Fund, and Jacobus tenBroek Memorial
Fund). Please mail checks payable to National Federation of the Blind to 200
East Wells Street, Baltimore, Maryland, 21230, Attention: Fiscal Services -
Roll Call, and write "Roll Call" in the check memo. If you want to send the
funds by ACH directly to our bank, please contact Bridgid Burke,
bburke at nfb.org <mailto:bburke at nfb.org>  or call 410-659-9314, extension
2271. For those affiliates and divisions that made pledges, please remember
we ask that all pledges be fulfilled by August 31.

	Route 66 Ride for Literacy with Dan O'Rourke:
	The National Federation of the Blind is excited to partner with Dan
O'Rourke for a journey of strength, dedication, and connection. On July 27
from Santa Monica, California, Dan will start his 2,700-mile bike ride on
the famous U.S. Route 66. Follow Dan and share the Ride for Literacy with
your friends and family. <https://nfb.org/route66>

	Uber Town Hall/Listening Session:
	As I mentioned in the 2023 Presidential Report
<https://u32452178.ct.sendgrid.net/ls/click?upn=mTCu8dGvOkl-2BXqaCK8sZ2XZsIV
-2FIHwCJ1wu82RzQMT8t64jmb9bmcUogA-2Bzxye9vRNGJ0NBYj-2FqT-2FL45JPC63-2B-2Bu1h
AgAKCc9t5USw7Ov88-3DGAr0_-2FRWZngb3c1ml-2BuKo9uafT-2F1OcrZ-2Bq55sKh8pJLha9Oi
2pPYgHae80RuJomZBKMMOTRxk8vRoEjC8gT99h67DSUE4pDNpYij1FOKE8jXtO4wZoirhBaJkgcq
-2BosKWeKwNdXkOdMJsssUOMb6sTEqjsIX25P20iU6ROhQp6Lqgvn7k5m23ZHWHoT3ujAEFp2XQ9
45Vtgvlcwn482G4IZqk3g-3D-3D> , a persistent problem we face is the denial by
rideshare drivers who refuse to transport us because of our guide dogs and,
sometimes, even just because we are blind people. The National Federation of
the Blind has redoubled our efforts to make progress, but there is still
much work to do. Please join us for a town hall listening session with Uber
on Thursday, July 27, at 3:00 p.m., eastern. The Zoom information to access
the meeting is:

https://uber.zoom.us/j/99960753787?pwd=akwxTzBlQnNiak5FVmw2OHVQVytvdz09
<https://u32452178.ct.sendgrid.net/ls/click?upn=mTCu8dGvOkl-2BXqaCK8sZ2XZsIV
-2FIHwCJ1wu82RzQMT8t64jmb9bmcUogA-2Bzxye9vN59vFFYy5oAhkZzGAjypNvXmMiWneHOXdW
vjC6JdZbs-3DVkEU_-2FRWZngb3c1ml-2BuKo9uafT-2F1OcrZ-2Bq55sKh8pJLha9Oi2pPYgHae
80RuJomZBKMMOWpSjHhIm-2BDLbPon0ISSH1Z8z2NDHyhZZvWBZ-2FcEkIljtTIsG8V7AWyqv19h
uHvAHUAsdnDLHoIwriHxmcYsyVa2RodJpvIzG72g-2FFzp9A4Pn1JkP1AYhI-2FePJvma6e7ZJBE
xmMlnA8BuGZsXEFoQpg-3D-3D>
	Meeting ID: 999 6075 3787
	Password: 743850
	Dial by your location
	        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
	        +1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
	        +1 564 217 2000 US

	Thank You:
	The NFB staff would like to give a heartfelt thank you to the
hundreds of volunteers who helped in the Independence Market this year at
convention. You all have once again allowed so many of our members and
visitors to see how we can bring an entire store to convention and make it
run in an efficient manner.
	You certainly could have not given of your time and chosen to spend
it doing several other things at convention, but you gave of your time and
talents to help. Just know we are standing and applauding you all!!

Dates to Keep in Mind:
(all times eastern)
*	July 25: U.S. Access Board Town Hall, 1:30-3:30 p.m.
*	July 27: Uber Town Hall Listening Session, 3:00 p.m.
*	August 1: Presidential Release Live, 8:00 p.m.
*	August 9: Introduction to the Organized Blind Movement, 8:00 p.m.
*	August 31: Deadline to fulfill honor roll call pledges
*	September 7 and 10: Chapter Presidents Call, 8:00 p.m. (Blind
Equality Achievement Month)
*	November 8: Introduction to the Organized Blind Movement, 8:00 p.m.
*	December 7 and 10: Chapter Presidents Call, 8:00 p.m. (Planning the
Year Ahead)

Richard Payne,  President
937/829/3368
Rchpay7 at gmail.com <mailto:Rchpay7 at gmail.com>