[Ohio-Talk] FW: NEWS: Blind students win lawsuit--Jury finds schools discriminated

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 14:29:16 UTC 2023

From: National Federation of the Blind <webmaster at nfb.org>
Sent: Friday, June 2, 2023 10:01 AM
To: Richard Payne <rchpay7 at gmail.com>
Subject: NEWS: Blind students win lawsuit--Jury finds schools discriminated

  <https://nfb.org/images/nfb/images/images/top-blue-bar.jpg>

<https://u32452178.ct.sendgrid.net/ls/click?upn=mTCu8dGvOkl-2BXqaCK8sZ2XZsIV
-2FIHwCJ1wu82RzQMT8t64jmb9bmcUogA-2Bzxye9vJadFeEJ-2FXK8IF2E59HPWPh8vgtDFUT-2
BAQtYD70VfeYs-3DOEMZ_F1t6hhcDKfkij2pCDvv7zWjAPIKpRSTwA1vxOLNsNTblifGMWd9r9gD
9juzwMaUpY5vf8gftaB9XYE3UMEUhszxsbkj4UxCPyTTvoJwSV305GBJ5-2FRExrISgbMjToEp26
G6gpYJmGIptC2vwXFHfBBzD1P0I2ZiPD6r2dGuh4uHInHx1Sc6d1OghMtVpIPe1ldi4FNefXCWQ1
-2B2BkgRZvQ-3D-3D>

Blind Students Win Lawsuit Against Los Angeles Community College District

Jury Finds Schools Discriminated and Failed to Make Reasonable
Accommodations

Los Angeles (May 31, 2023): After a court battle that has lasted nearly
seven years, a federal court jury last week found that the Los Angeles
Community College District discriminated against two blind students, Roy
Payan and Portia Mason, by failing to ensure them an equal educational
opportunity as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act. The jury
ruled that the schools discriminated in fourteen distinct ways, including by
maintaining inaccessible websites, library resources, and educational
software, as well as by failing to provide timely accessible course
materials. It further found that in most instances, the District had
discriminated intentionally through its deliberate indifference to its legal
obligations. The jury awarded Mr. Payan and Ms. Mason a total of $242,500 in
damages. The plaintiffs were supported in the litigation by the National
Federation of the Blind, the transformative advocacy organization of blind
Americans.

Mark Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said:
"The National Federation of the Blind is committed to working
collaboratively with educational institutions to help them create an
accessible and inclusive environment. At the same time, we will fight for as
long as it takes to vindicate the rights of blind students in court when
institutions are unwilling to take advantage of available resources and the
lived experience of blind people to guide them in meeting their legal and
moral obligations. We thank the jurors in this case for recognizing the harm
that was done to these students, and we are proud to have supported their
fight for justice. It is long past time for institutions of higher education
to lead the way in collaboration with the disability community rather than
to perpetuate the history of low expectations that hold blind students
back."

"This moment has been a long time in coming, and I am so grateful to the
supporters and to the legal team that have brought us here," said Portia
Mason. "I know that this team will continue to put its best efforts behind
our cause in any further proceedings."

"My grateful thanks for an amazing legal team from Brown Goldstein & Levy
and Patricia Barbosa from the Barbosa Group," said Roy Payan. "This win is
not so much a win just for Portia and me, but for all those students who
will continue to come after us who may be too afraid, timid, or intimidated
by threats from the institutions to advocate for themselves. We follow in
the footsteps of Robert F. Kennedy when he said, 'There are those who look
at things the way they are and ask why. I dream of things that never were,
and ask why not?' I see a world where I won't have to beg for the
accommodations I deserve, where I am provided the freedom of independence
all others enjoy."

###

The National Federation of the Blind (NFB), headquartered in Baltimore,
defends the rights of blind people of all ages and provides information and
support to families with blind children, older Americans who are losing
vision, and more. Founded in 1940, the NFB is the transformative membership
and advocacy organization of blind Americans with affiliates, chapters, and
divisions in the fifty states, Washington DC, and Puerto Rico. We believe in
the hopes and dreams of blind people and work together to transform them
into reality. Learn more about our many programs and initiatives at
<https://u32452178.ct.sendgrid.net/ls/click?upn=mTCu8dGvOkl-2BXqaCK8sZ2XZsIV
-2FIHwCJ1wu82RzQMT8t64jmb9bmcUogA-2Bzxye9vRl7KmIyPJHs2W8hG7WJfoxjM6nW7qYjCE-
2FF4Q7zLo3Q-3Dg7Ej_F1t6hhcDKfkij2pCDvv7zWjAPIKpRSTwA1vxOLNsNTblifGMWd9r9gD9j
uzwMaUpld92H9zSuY0FdGLzrkBTYg429UBvF6Y-2Ffk-2BqexximnE063epvSLItPvLux0CJOQ0S
KcGmJhFuqOq9hpfA2e6fbh0U2vF8uRf3IAt9QfCuTPNjQwYuWpgBlRz1vpreY-2BzToqFINC13g5
KbzCqxT-2B7yQ-3D-3D> nfb.org.

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

<https://u32452178.ct.sendgrid.net/ls/click?upn=mTCu8dGvOkl-2BXqaCK8sZ2XZsIV
-2FIHwCJ1wu82RzQMT8t64jmb9bmcUogA-2Bzxye9vBX5k1dyBIxazo0Z34iVyNwpdtYKFHRGPoE
2s2h8gQAs-3DUhGw_F1t6hhcDKfkij2pCDvv7zWjAPIKpRSTwA1vxOLNsNTblifGMWd9r9gD9juz
wMaUpQtUktQCiXZHsX7jUSBgo-2FWdZkD4HEcl8-2BbD9Fy-2BiWsWWPNfnbvDfzjB-2FanUDx6F
6ALnaxTYsbv-2BQXg-2Ba8Ccwi0Xt5pd45JT0Q6GL89wYkxX2JAxYsSfdNyuLQr4-2BiDZJBuWo3
JDjG3GUFi-2FIdY9nTw-3D-3D> cdanielsen at nfb.org

<https://u32452178.ct.sendgrid.net/ls/click?upn=mTCu8dGvOkl-2BXqaCK8sZ2XZsIV
-2FIHwCJ1wu82RzQMT8t64jmb9bmcUogA-2Bzxye9v-2F337LE6osUFlB0eTwU-2BzNNU9-2BM-2
Foe8bg5t32YtJwcfU-3DHJP1_F1t6hhcDKfkij2pCDvv7zWjAPIKpRSTwA1vxOLNsNTblifGMWd9
r9gD9juzwMaUpeCo7-2FdgRtFxEBiLuKMsdhXZgqn8FJvxLRC5slwkX1F3bVoqGa5Bsl3GRJ07cX
KIjDCAhyjdZd2o-2BoE2OOJ-2B6DXguh-2FOye4ablyWbpKet0TQy2y76eMHSq8LJkMH-2FJIynz
fOm-2FQg0Biy2Vpc1V7EABg-3D-3D>

<https://u32452178.ct.sendgrid.net/ls/click?upn=mTCu8dGvOkl-2BXqaCK8sZ2XZsIV
-2FIHwCJ1wu82RzQMT8t64jmb9bmcUogA-2Bzxye9voXoRL-2BrM8Tg5-2Fzk30EqGiwQkB27q2f
HhD1YsQmxW4tY-3DGUrl_F1t6hhcDKfkij2pCDvv7zWjAPIKpRSTwA1vxOLNsNTblifGMWd9r9gD
9juzwMaUpyFdmdHB-2Fk3K94Il3SFew-2ByprkunyK-2FcqgFr0PacEN4G2b4iHkGA8egRRM0y3y
PRCGzkhXp673-2Bfbof9f0-2F1l60Y-2BEit6R7cAP9wl8gmw5RB9p0tGHFb9-2FSad5Ozi24jTN
BSMdBZWOEWBOLkHw4hp8g-3D-3D>

<https://u32452178.ct.sendgrid.net/ls/click?upn=mTCu8dGvOkl-2BXqaCK8sZ2XZsIV
-2FIHwCJ1wu82RzQMT8t64jmb9bmcUogA-2Bzxye9vcGeHnYLSelrM9mrY-2B3iqLSwqSIKAUPkh
UcUnFH1sKo8-3DqFS-_F1t6hhcDKfkij2pCDvv7zWjAPIKpRSTwA1vxOLNsNTblifGMWd9r9gD9j
uzwMaUpp6sEeB4-2BwXJoIR9wJ6jQb2LWl3ZpYNf8n1sEeFdoq1WL0cmsp-2FinTkbx20T-2BUK4
e2RfsUJ82KP4IMb6GScpjEwKkHFh9jQQjjPMQup6dPGslqG5tTEdEa9kktgGLef-2FRlL2LIwEdx
tp3dZDg6eLqxg-3D-3D>

<https://u32452178.ct.sendgrid.net/ls/click?upn=mTCu8dGvOkl-2BXqaCK8sZ2XZsIV
-2FIHwCJ1wu82RzQMT8t64jmb9bmcUogA-2Bzxye9vINHE6-2BIjoYL6kEbFiyGECNfJAxtlGXTX
PwerWMddnKs-3D1hrL_F1t6hhcDKfkij2pCDvv7zWjAPIKpRSTwA1vxOLNsNTblifGMWd9r9gD9j
uzwMaUpewpstBMBy9DCbUy-2B2Zuk8XbVqIgtbQAlZGxyP9Pu4pQFoOCJndr0GYD50p6wxEsDzHf
gB1Co1nyxky9VAT5JZbg3725kduypSMHqn6m-2F9HxDo66-2BnCU2ZT0qGZkgq2aG1TBtrzHq9lU
Ke3E1MxAb2w-3D-3D>

<https://u32452178.ct.sendgrid.net/ls/click?upn=mTCu8dGvOkl-2BXqaCK8sZ2XZsIV
-2FIHwCJ1wu82RzQMT8t64jmb9bmcUogA-2Bzxye9vFw6l4GuAh3AdSJgfpjnLi7ug-2FRR2tA8o
4zi-2BNGz0UeM-3Dkt7i_F1t6hhcDKfkij2pCDvv7zWjAPIKpRSTwA1vxOLNsNTblifGMWd9r9gD
9juzwMaUpz5jXvoOHHNo8F90GOrbkQaYMVUC2Vvt-2FdJw9XfBDwrcL1Y-2Fx6L9syLkHHybfbp-
2BNtmlSObtPt9Coeq29xIGbBqiq5AbAvJiQtmYhT6DsMAx-2F5P2QhM1RSum5bABZFHzCI0o5TB6
XhJbR71PZBJ8mbA-3D-3D>

<https://u32452178.ct.sendgrid.net/ls/click?upn=mTCu8dGvOkl-2BXqaCK8sZ2XZsIV
-2FIHwCJ1wu82RzQMT8t64jmb9bmcUogA-2Bzxye9vzxlLzRn5eQ-2FV-2BWKSoMXmk5CBgrUTFN
1IWdHNandJ9ow-3DclVT_F1t6hhcDKfkij2pCDvv7zWjAPIKpRSTwA1vxOLNsNTblifGMWd9r9gD
9juzwMaUpj-2BOLHS2C5RzJRpRz-2F0duoHUiwIeJMN57d1UhUqqv-2FxwMatc-2B5Jbk5wIZf0Y
1d7-2BQJYTBucMHy7BPOKlRX7g9MOjxE5z6SAOYY0RAY-2FvbKbseMjDeCNMvUTRzy-2FIll2u3N
IhQpR5gJJCgzgxO7TbG3w-3D-3D>

National Federation of the Blind | 200 E Wells Street | Baltimore, MD 21230
| 410-659-9314

<https://u32452178.ct.sendgrid.net/ls/click?upn=mTCu8dGvOkl-2BXqaCK8sZ2XZsIV
-2FIHwCJ1wu82RzQMT-2F4nmCNeCUYVkWIXq0I5-2FbBjgaSSTf-2FzMswBeMdeXwo3a9-2F8qHe
FJJicbTA89t-2FyoWjJ5FUHgZYGc8Rj2M64sjVTClpQBdoqxsvCp5pXvOxQw-3D-3DkeUU_F1t6h
hcDKfkij2pCDvv7zWjAPIKpRSTwA1vxOLNsNTblifGMWd9r9gD9juzwMaUp86GK-2FHZcPvnkHsp
SxGvrPDBWCV7yDEZs8nA1wRXIOGrFdivDjsAYuXKurnuh9u705ObQvR3LCk-2FplC3El-2BoiBEa
Mx2bssDC1AowGfvriCc1yBBtozy9KCBCtAaXqpAh297bFQjhYU5MBPf9IjwqWRQ-3D-3D>
Unsubscribe |
<https://u32452178.ct.sendgrid.net/ls/click?upn=mTCu8dGvOkl-2BXqaCK8sZ2XZsIV
-2FIHwCJ1wu82RzQMT9w-2FOIIf8-2Ftiv0e1xWICVyivzLVkMkz2Xz8t901bAmOPl1ATJQxy2tj
d1DpA356U1x9cWDjA9V5zdlZNo8W-2BN0kQmDYrqS0O2ARMPZ4MQ2g3w-3D-3D9fBE_F1t6hhcDK
fkij2pCDvv7zWjAPIKpRSTwA1vxOLNsNTblifGMWd9r9gD9juzwMaUpm013QzXEzOH5OugvXaW86
ixPasfbSSPJn7labPXMt0sLUYXIaMhd8P4CRARuqgj6r2l-2BwAlbrFZmJHwFbKEXyo43Bl661F2
zhhoJVrCBr4D0EVss-2Ft1b5LAmWWLao1vjhUVGSKqyIX-2Fl2tpWtHo5Ow-3D-3D> Opt Out |
<https://u32452178.ct.sendgrid.net/ls/click?upn=mTCu8dGvOkl-2BXqaCK8sZ2XZsIV
-2FIHwCJ1wu82RzQMT8t64jmb9bmcUogA-2Bzxye9vb4Ls-2Fn-2BBTTUYuyiINBmVK97EwR7egH
6eNyUcb59WoYg-3DGFxj_F1t6hhcDKfkij2pCDvv7zWjAPIKpRSTwA1vxOLNsNTblifGMWd9r9gD
9juzwMaUph25kbXYl-2FjyztP0LbJ9dpk3r61fhNG8p4w5tNFRPFuL8cin-2FFDG5LBGRGqtCWGs
xq7JqAlJBYb82aGE5QgJKKG5FIDDnf40hUvD-2FC0xzVItTbmZZokxGOo6lriz7lAu5mjLCwo3N5
WbDEEkxXC4KUA-3D-3D> Sign Up for Our E-newsletter

200 East Wells Street
Baltimore, MD 21230
United States

..

  <https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/open?qid=8722429>
<https://u32452178.ct.sendgrid.net/wf/open?upn=cUBip-2BkKcMpmell2wkxCA3DDlWj
-2BvFdYLmJsjSZPsNYDxpgaWddEaIvQYxCjDVmsY2qO-2F9NyAJI8Kl31vlhLubkR99uBKS7umEu
uX-2FJlewVhU6omZByNCJx3D7EqYExh7XqT8XO67HEVEMe2Gv1vdXLUM-2Byvo6SJTfZQd3tKogB
Fp6NCArg4ojd-2F-2BPIFxcJPRMg6-2BZF9Ea20M9AwXYFUBUy7QGqGL6xxE9xVn8fbS3Q-3D>

Richard Payne,  President

937/829/3368

 <mailto:Rchpay7 at gmail.com> Rchpay7 at gmail.com

blindness is not what holds you back.