[Ohio-Talk] National Convention Announcements

Suzanne Turner smturner.234 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 22:54:07 UTC 2023

2023 National Convention Agenda | National Federation of the Blind

document

Skip to main content

banner

National Federation of the Blind. Click to return to Homepage.

navigation region

list of 1 items

Log In

list end

navigation region end

navigation region

list of 2 items

Donate

Join Us

list end

navigation region end

list of 2 items

Menu

list end

banner end

main region

2023 National Convention Agenda

article

Welcome to the 83rd Annual Convention of the National Federation of the
Blind

Mark A. Riccobono, President

National Federation of the Blind

200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place

Baltimore, Maryland 21230

John Berggren, Chairman

Convention Organization and Activities

Norma Crosby, President

National Federation of the Blind of Texas

The Hilton Americas-Houston

1600 Lamar Street

Houston, Texas 77010

(713) 739-8000

Welcome!

Welcome to the world's largest gathering of the organized blind, the
National Federation of the Blind's annual convention, where expectations are
raised

and lives literally transformed. This is our second attempt at returning to
Houston after what has now been more than fifty years. Our plans were
thwarted

by the pandemic in 2020, but I can assure you that our eighty-third
convention will be well worth the wait.

Once again, Federationists will come together to showcase the power and
strength of our movement, to celebrate, to inspire, and to be inspired. More
than

just a list of the myriad of sessions you can attend, the agenda contains a
wealth of information about the week including our community expectations of

one another; a description of the hotel layout; and hours for the
presidential and host affiliate suites, the exhibit hall, and the
Independence Market.

Read thoroughly and plan your week. Take every opportunity to explore, make
new friends, and live the life you want at #NFB23.

Rookie Roundup

All first-time convention attendees are cordially invited to attend an event
from 8:00 to 9:30 p.m. on Saturday, July 1, in Lanier Grand Ballroom A and

D. President Riccobono and other Federation leaders will be on hand to
welcome you to the convention and preview the week's activities. Veteran
conventioneers

should encourage all first-timers to attend this special event. We cannot
wait to welcome you! In anticipation, check out our First Timer's Guide at

https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention/first-timers-guide.

Inclusivity, Diversity, and Code of Conduct

We are committed to providing a welcoming, safe, and healthy environment for
everyone. Thank you for cultivating an atmosphere of mutual respect in which

participants from diverse backgrounds can learn, network, and share with
each other. We are committed to diversity, equity, and the free expression
of

ideas. These principles have been outlined in our Code of Conduct found at

https://nfb.org/codeofconduct.

We recognize a shared responsibility to create and uphold that atmosphere
for the benefit of all. Prohibited behaviors include harassment,
retaliation,

and sexual misconduct. Prohibited behavior will not be tolerated and may
result in removal from the convention and/or other consequences. To report
an

incident at the convention, please call 410-659-9314, extension 2475, or
email

code at nfb.org.

Formal reports can be submitted at

https://nfb.org/about-us/history-and-governance/code-conduct/report-form.

All formal reports will be fully investigated according to the steps in our
Code of Conduct. For support or guidance, connect with our Survivors Group

at

survivors at nfb.org

or extension 2238 during the convention hours listed in this agenda. Thank
you for your commitment to the safety and support of the blind community.

Convention Registration

Registration activities take place on Level 4 of the Hilton in the
pre-function area outside the Lanier Grand Ballroom beginning at 9:00 a.m.
on Saturday.

At 9:00 a.m. on Sunday and at other times as listed throughout the week,
registration activities will be located at the Level 4 registration desk by
the

elevators nearest the convention center. All convention attendees (both
local and from out of town) are asked to register. Those who registered for
convention

online may pick up their registration packets in the area designated
"Preregistration." Those who did not register online can do so at the area
designated

"Registration." Please have your payment method ready as you approach the
cashier. Convention registration is a requirement for door prize eligibility

and a number of other convention activities. We condition rates for hotel
rooms on proof of registration, including the showing of an NFB registration

badge, if requested.

Exhibit Hall and Independence Market

The Exhibit Hall and the NFB Independence Market are located in the Ballroom
of the Americas on Level 2.

Exhibit Hall hours of operation are:

list of 4 items

. Sunday 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

. Monday 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

. Tuesday Noon to 1:45 p.m. and 7:00 to 9:00 p.m.

. Wednesday Noon to 1:45 p.m. (final opportunity to visit the Exhibit Hall)

list end

Independence Market hours of operation are:

list of 4 items

. Sunday 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

. Monday 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

. Tuesday Noon to 1:45 p.m.

. Wednesday Noon to 1:45 p.m. (final opportunity to visit the Market)

list end

Presidential and Host Affiliate Suites

The Presidential Suite and the Host Affiliate's Suite are open during much
of the convention. All are welcome to come to these suites to visit.
Appointments

to meet with President Riccobono may be made at the Presidential Suite. The
Presidential and Host Affiliate Suites will be open during the following
times:

list of 7 items

. Friday 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.

. Saturday 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

. Sunday 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

. Monday 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

. Tuesday 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m., Noon to 2:00 p.m., and 5:00 to 7:00 p.m.

. Wednesday 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m., Noon to 2:00 p.m., and 5:00 to 7:00 p.m.

. Thursday 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and Noon to 2:00 p.m.

list end

Suite numbers will be shared via social media, posted in the convention
mobile app, announced at the board meeting, and publicized in a number of
other

ways.

Survivor Safe Space

As a part of our ongoing efforts to provide safety, support, and inclusion
within the National Federation of the Blind, the Blind Survivors Group is
providing

a safe space for survivors and individuals who have been impacted or harmed
by sexual misconduct and other forms of abuse within the NFB and affiliated

programs/events. We welcome you to drop in for confidential peer support, to
discuss questions/concerns about ongoing safety and support measures within

the NFB, and to access resources for additional support. The safe space, in
meeting room 331 on Level 3, will be available Saturday through Thursday
from

5:00 to 6:00 p.m.

If you are not able to participate in the survivors' safe space and need
additional support or have further questions during the convention, you may
email

survivors at nfb.org

or call 410-659-9314, extension 2238. A member of the Blind Survivors Group
will respond to calls within four hours of the time of your message between

the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. during the week of convention.