[Ohio-Talk] National Convention Tuesday, July 4

Suzanne Turner smturner.234 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 23:00:19 UTC 2023

Tuesday, July 4, 2023

article

Opening Session

8:00 - 8:45 a.m. Devotions

Room 340 A

8:15 - 8:45 a.m. Registration ($30), Packet Pickup, and Banquet Ticket Sales (75 dollars)

Registration Desk, Level 4

8:15 - 8:45 a.m. Banquet Exchange

Lanier Grand Ballroom Pre-function Area

Opening General Session (Tuesday)

Lanier Grand Ballroom A – I

Zoom meeting ID: 916 8496 8543

1CapApp Event: nfb

9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.

Call to Order and Invocation

Presentation of Colors and Pledge of Allegiance

National Association of Blind Veterans, a Division of the National Federation of the Blind

Deep in the Heart of the Federation: Welcome from the NFB of Texas

2023 National Convention Host Committee: The National Federation of the Blind of Texas

Celebration of Freedom: Veterans Recognized

Vernon Humphrey, President, National Association of Blind Veterans, a Division of the National Federation of the Blind; Mauk, Georgia

Roll Call of States and Appointment of Nominating Committee

Reports and Resolutions

Adjourn

12:00 - 1:45 p.m. Banquet Exchange

Lanier Grand Ballroom Pre-function Area

12:00 - 1:45 p.m. Exhibit Hall and Independence Market

Ballroom of the Americas

12:15 - 1:15 p.m. Ask Me Anything

Room 338

Dr. Lionel Wolberger, COO of UserWay and W3C Accessibility Platform Architectures member on how AI automation and expert services work together towards

digital accessibility. An open forum on benefits, risks, marketing claims, and real accomplishments of the past year. Lionel Wolberger, UserWay COO and

W3C Accessibility Platform Architectures member

12:15 - 1:45 p.m. Louisiana Center for the Blind Open House

Room 335 A

Please join us to learn about our transformative programs. Reconnect with alumni and staff. Find out more about graduate degrees at Louisiana Tech University.

Discover how LCB training will help you live the life you want!

Pam Allen, Executive Director

12:15 - 1:15 p.m. Refreshable Graphics on the Cadence Tablet

Room 340 B

Experience the new Cadence Tactile Graphics Tablet from Tactile Engineering. Test and evaluate in-development software tools and apps, provide feedback,

and learn about how we’re revolutionizing education and workplace access.

Dave Schleppenbach, CEO

1:15 - 1:45 p.m. Registration ($30), Packet Pickup, and Final Banquet Ticket Sales (75 dollars)

Registration Desk, Level 4

General Session II (Tuesday)

Lanier Grand Ballroom A – I

Zoom meeting ID: 916 8496 8543

1CapApp Event: nfb

2:00 - 5:00 p.m.

Call to Order

Presidential Report

Mark Riccobono, President, National Federation of the Blind; Baltimore, Maryland

Showing Heart on Route 66: A Ride for Literacy

Dan O'Rourke, National Hockey League Referee; Atlanta, Georgia

Reflections on Four Decades and Growing Hope for the Future: Celebrating Parents of Blind Children within the Organized Blind Movement

Barbara Cheadle, President Emeritus, National Organization of Parents of Blind Children; Catonsville, Maryland

Carla Keirns, President, National Organization of Parents of Blind Children; Kansas City, Missouri

The Braille Flyway: Giving Wings to Literacy through Partnership with Monarch

Craig Meador, President, American Printing House; Louisville, Kentucky

Bruce Miles, Chief Executive Officer, HumanWare; Drummondville, Québec, Canada

Unlocking the Power of Our Stories: Imagining a Museum and Building Our Future

Reports and Resolutions

Adjourn

6:00 - 7:30 p.m. How to Get Legislation Passed in Your State

Room 343 B

Coalitions with other advocacy groups in your state can make the difference in the success or failure of getting your affiliate’s legislative priorities

passed into law. Learn how to form strong coalitions around issues of common interest such as voting and subminimum wages.

Jeff Kaloc and Justin Young, Government Affairs, National Federation of the Blind

7:00 - 9:00 p.m. Exhibit Hall

Ballroom of the Americas

7:00 - 9:00 p.m. Communications Committee

Room 338

Join chapter, affiliate, and division leaders to learn best practices in communications. We’ll explore the tools available to us through our national office

and exchange ideas. Learn to effectively use communication to build the Federation. Everyone is welcome!

Liz Wisecarver, Communications Committee Chair

8:00 - 9:00 p.m. Affiliate Historians: A Discussion

Room 340 A

Join us as we discuss the role of affiliate/division historians and how to approach saving items of importance from the start. A Q&A will follow. Open

to anyone. Affiliate presidents and historians encouraged to attend.

Nichole Chrissis, Archivist, National Federation of the Blind

8:00 - 11:00 p.m. Haymakers Happening in Houston

Lanier Grand Ballroom J, K, and L

The NFB of Texas invites you to enjoy this free concert featuring Federation leader Tom Page, a blind musician from Kansas. The Haymakers bring their special

string blend of Americana, western swing, traditional folk, and more to the Lanier Grand Ballroom. You can preview the band on Apple music and on Spotify.

Sponsored by Worley Enterprises.

Book traversal links for Tuesday, July 4, 2023 navigation region

Book traversal links for Tuesday, July 4, 2023

list of 3 items

‹ Monday, July 3, 2023

Up

Wednesday, July 5, 2023 ›

list end

Book traversal links for Tuesday, July 4, 2023 navigation region end

article end

main region end

content information

National Federation of the Blind. Click to return to Homepage.

navigation region

list of 2 items

Donate

Join Us

list end

navigation region end

National Federation of the Blind

200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place

Baltimore, Maryland 21230

Phone

410-659-9314

Email

nfb at nfb.org

Charity Watch logo; "Charity Watch; TOP-RATED."

Connect with Us navigation region

Connect with Us

list of 3 items

Facebook

Twitter

YouTube

list end

Connect with Us navigation region end

Subscribe to Our E-newsletter

navigation region

list of 5 items

Our Community

list of 8 items nesting level 1

People Who Are Blind

People Losing Vision

Parents of Blind Children

Blind Parents

Seniors

Students

Educators

Employers

list end nesting level 1

Get Involved

list of 6 items nesting level 1

Join Us

Ways to Give

National Convention

Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion

Membership Building

Calendar

list end nesting level 1

Programs & Services

list of 16 items nesting level 1

Independence Market

Free White Cane Program

Center of Excellence in Nonvisual Access

Advocacy

NFB-NEWSLINE®

Education

Employment