[Ohio-Talk] Braille reading speed and when you learned Braille

Jessica Stover jessicastover10 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 15:32:27 UTC 2023

When I was at the Louisiana training center for the blind, my braille
instructor would do speed tests about once a month. I began learning
braille as an adult. We had home work every night. Factor in an hour of
class time and and hour or so of homework each night and weekends. It was
intense. She had us on slate and stylus for most of our writing assignments
and using the braille writer or braille display was a privilege/rite of
passage but now, I’m so good on the slate and no longer dread using it!
The speed reading tests were done by having one read out loud and then
silent. She would also grade us on a few other areas such as comprehension
questions after each read and pacing/fluidity when reading out loud.
I started at 20 words per minute out loud  and 25 silent. 9 months later At
graduation I was at about 60 words per minute silent and I think about
45-50 words per minute out loud.
Now, since being back I have not tested myself again but I can tell my
speed has increased because before I know it, bam I’m already on a new
page!
I need to ask my Braille instructor exactly how she calculated everything.
She told me but I can’t quite remember. I know she’d have us read out loud
for four minutes then silent for four minutes. Also, we’d do this four
times read out loud and silently on a familiar text and then read out loud
and silently in an unfamiliar text. Sometimes my nerves would get the best
of me but it was fun to see how far I have come since learning braille at
LCB!
I would say that learning braille as an adult can be challenging because
there are so many factors that come into play but, with hard work and
determination, it can be done.

--
Braille and technology committee chair: National Federation of the Blind
Greater Akron