[Ohio-Talk] From the president's desk

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 14:16:54 UTC 2023

>From the president's desk.

Richard Payne, Ohio Affiliate President
(937) 829-3368
RchPay7 at gmail.com <mailto:RchPay7 at gmail.com>

March 28, 2023

Ohio, I think Spring is just around the corner but for some reason old man
Winter keeps sticking it's head out. I don't know about you, but I am ready
to sit on my patio in the sunshine.

I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National Federation
of the Blind. The NFB Pledge comes to mind as I am so honored to be a part
of this Affiliate. We should be proud of our efforts for this year as we
continue to build the Federation. We have a lot to be thankful for, such as
more Chapters are meeting in-person, we are moving further out of the
pandemic and our membership is focused on raising expectations for more and
more blind people across the state.

In late January we sent an Ohio  delegation to the Washington Seminar. Three
legislative initiatives were presented, the 2023 Website and Software
Application Accessibility Act, 2023 Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility
Act and Blind Americans Return To Work Act. Please read the National Office
Critical Actions below to reach out to your representatives asking them to
support these bills.

Also, just this past week several of our student's and two members of the
Ohio State Board attended the Midwest Student's Seminar, which demonstrates
to me that Ohio continues to be very active on the national level providing
leadership, talent and support as needed. Suzanne Turner was invited to
provide the keynote address during this outstanding conference. And, help me
congratulate Emily Kiehl and Kinshuk Tella on their upcoming graduation.
They too were presenters at the seminar.

It is my honor to report that the Ohio Affiliate has a new State treasurer.
Kathy Legg from the Akron Chapter has taken on this new role. We have been
working with the National Office to move to "QuickBooks" to update our
banking systems. In addition, it is also my pleasure to inform you that
Annette Lutz has graciously stepped into the role of State Secretary. you
know her and the work that she does as our Capital Chapter President is
boundless. So, when you have an opportunity, please  extend your gratitude
toward them for the willingness to assist with these very important duties.
These appointments leaves an open State Bord seat, that I hope to fulfill by
the April Board of Director's meeting; which is on April 29, 2023 at 10:00
AM EDT.

You should notice that I removed Fundraising as one of the Ohio Committees
for the State  this year, and some members have inquired why. It is not
because we have no need to raise funds for our programs, it is quite the
opposite. Consequently, It has occurred to me  that all Chapter's and
Divisions should highly consider donating to the Affiliate a little of what
has been generously distributed to the membership. Because programs that are
taken on by the Affiliate Treasury, including request from the National, we
must increase funding as soon as possible. For example, Ohio has the STEM
and BELL Programs vastly  approaching this year and I am convinced that
these two important agendas will require donations from us all. You will
hear more about those programs as we get closer to the events. This reminds
me that some of you made pledges during the 2022 money for the movement and
may still need to pay. Please fulfill that commitment. You can reach out to
me to discuss payment options.

Providing funding for the Ohio Treasury should be a no brainer. You can give
by participating with the Piggest Raffle Ever. Tickets are $5 and 100
percent Is donated to the NFB of Ohio. I received the spreadsheet
highlighting names and purchases from Ohio. I am sad to say that only five
members were indicated. Please share this fundraiser far and wide. The
tickets are just $5, which will help to continue the work we do in the
federation. Here is how, Just click on: https://piggestraffleever.com/. And
choose, National Federation of the Blind of Ohio as your charity.
 How's it Work? Easy! Purchase a Raffle Entry for $5 each on behalf of the
NFBOH from the drop-down menu. For each Pig purchased, you have a chance to
win on Flying Pig Marathon Weekend!
GRAND PRIZE: $10,000 Cash* ($5,000 to the charity and $5,000 to the winning
ticket holder) SECOND PRIZE: $5,000 Cash* ($2,500 to the charity and $2,500
to the winning ticket holder, THIRD PRIZE: Cincinnati Get-Away Experience
($1,500 in Downtown Cincinnati, Inc.

State Convention:
All, come by bus, car, guide dog or white cane to the capital city of Ohio!
Do not miss the most happening event of 2023! It has been four years since
the Ohio State Convention has graced its presence in the largest
metropolitan Buckeye region of the Midwest. We will return to the DoubleTree
by Hilton Columbus/Worthington Hotel, on November 17th, 18th and 19th, where
spacious rooms, double chocolate chip cookies, and  Hilton points are
waiting for you! The 2023 Ohio Convention theme is, "Stronger Together!" The
hotel address is 175 Hutchinson Avenue, Columbus, Ohio 43235. You can make
reservations by calling (614) 885-3334. The room rates are only $109.00,
taxes are 17.5%, which includes breakfast for 2 occupants per room.

An announcement from Kinshuk Tella, Ohio Scholarship Co-chair:
My name is Kinshuk Tella and I serve as a board member for the National
Federation of the Blind of Ohio, the largest blindness organization in the
state. Our mission is to help blind/visually impaired people live the lives
they want, which includes all current and prospective students.

It is with much excitement that I share with you the opening of our 2023
scholarship program application! The application is open now to May 31st.
The three scholarships are in the amount of $1500, $2000, and $2500. Please
share this email and application with any blind or visually impaired
students. This email contains the link to the application form. Please keep
reading to learn more about this year's scholarship program!

Application Form link:
https://forms.gle/q8a5oCUss9KXgkaF7 should notice.

	National Federation of the Blind of Ohio 2023 National convention
Assistance Form:
The National Federation of the Blind 2023 convention will take place July 01
through July 06 in Houston, Texas. Because affiliate resources are limited,
those chosen to receive help will receive partial assistance only. Please
complete the form, and submit the  letters requested on or before April 15,
2023. Requests received after that date may not be considered. If you have
questions about the form or the process, contact me by email at
rchpay7 at gmail.com <mailto:rchpay7 at gmail.com>  or call 937-829-3368, for
information or help. NOTE: For anyone receiving convention assistance , you
will be expected to volunteer and attend all general sessions along with
other meetings and workshops. by receiving assistance  from the National
Federation of the Blind of Ohio to attend the convention you agree to abide
by all of the rules of the state of Texas, the city of Houston, the
convention hotels and the National Federation of the Blind as related to
Covid-19. Those seeking assistance to attend their first national convention
should complete the application for assistance from the Jernigan fund.
Consult with your chapter or division president about this process.

 Critical Actions:
	Next Week: April Presidential Release:
	Attend the next Presidential Release #526 on Tuesday, April 4, at
8:00 p.m., eastern. Submit questions for the Q&A sessions by sending an
email to cdanielsen at nfb.org <mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>  with the subject
line #PR526. Closed captions and Spanish interpretations are available.
Presidential Release Zoom ID: 948 2166 5754 <https://zoom.us/j/94821665754>
.

Convention:
	Independence Market Convention Volunteers:
	Part of preparation for our national convention in Houston is
scheduling volunteers for the Independence Market in the exhibit hall. I ask
our affiliate presidents to consider who might be willing and able to assist
in the market this year. The market will be open Sunday, July 2, through
Wednesday, July 5. The market is open the first two days from 8:30 a.m. to
5:00 p.m. and the final two days during the lunch recess only. We encourage
volunteers to work one four-hour shift on one of the long days and one
lunch-time shift.

	All presidents will soon be receiving an email from Jenivieve White
listing those in their affiliate who worked last year. The email will ask
you to identify who can again volunteer, who cannot, and anyone new who
could assist this year. The smooth operation of the market at convention
depends on having plenty of volunteers lending a hand. Your recruitment
efforts are appreciated.

News:
	Zoom Licenses:
	We are preparing to renew our Zoom licenses for the next twelve
months. The national office will continue to subsidize licenses for
affiliates and national divisions at the cost of $150 for a
three-hundred-participant license. If your affiliate or division is using an
NFB-provided Zoom account, your license will automatically be renewed unless
you contact John Berggren (jberggren at nfb.org <mailto:jberggren at nfb.org> ) by
April 7. In other words, you needn't do anything if you'd like to continue
with your current Zoom account. If your affiliate or division is not using
an NFB-provided Zoom account and would like to be assigned a license,
contact John Berggren (jberggren at nfb.org <mailto:jberggren at nfb.org> ) by
April 7. Invoices will be issued following the April 7 deadline. The full
price of the license will be displayed on the invoice. Should your affiliate
be able to cover that full cost, we would be pleased to accept your check in
the larger amount. If, on the other hand, even the subsidized cost of a Zoom
license is more than affiliate coffers can bear, please let me know this by
April 7 so we may plan accordingly.

	New Issue of Future Reflections:
	The latest issue of Future Reflections is now available. This issue
contains an article on encouraging play in blind infants and young blind
children, a high school student's thoughts about returning to face-to-face
school after the COVID closure, articles by blind chef Regina Mitchell and
Bolotin Award winner Jeanetta Price, and much more. Check out Future
Reflections Vol 42, No. 1.
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/fr/fr42/1/fr4201tc.htm>

	New Episode of the Nation's Blind Podcast:
	Hosts Anil and Melissa dig into the NFB-supported case, Orozco v.
Garland, in the latest Nation's Blind Podcast. They share an interview with
Chris Danielsen and Ronza Othman. Access the episode, "NFB Helps Win Battle
for Blind Federal Employees
<https://nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/nations-blind-podcast> ."

	Congress Is in Session this Week:
	Both the House of Representatives and the Senate are in session this
week before they begin a two-week recess on Monday, April 3. That makes this
week a perfect opportunity to call or email your members of Congress and
urge them to cosponsor our legislation. In the House please ask your member
to cosponsor the Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment Act
(H.R. 1263) and the Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act (H.R. 1328).
The Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act currently has forty-two House
cosponsors, and we would be thrilled to see it reach fifty (or more) before
next week's recess. In the Senate, please ask your senators to cosponsor the
Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment Act (S. 533).

 Increased Appropriations Request for the Independent Living Services for
Older Individuals Who Are Blind Program:
	Earlier this month we sent a letter to both the House and Senate
Appropriations Committees regarding increasing the annual appropriation for
the Independent Living Services for Older Individuals who are Blind (OIB)
program. The federal funding for the OIB program has remained stagnate for
several years and is woefully inadequate to help all of the individuals who
are eligible for its services. An increase in funding would dramatically
help the OIB serve the growing population of aging blind Americans. Both
letters are posted on our Policy Statements page
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/policy-statements> , and I urge
you to read them.

 Letter to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission Regarding
Discriminatory Driver's License Requirements on Job Applications:
	Last week we sent a letter to the Equal Employment Opportunity
Commission
<https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/2023-03/EEOC-Drivers-License-Reconsider
ation-3-21-2023.pdf>  (EEOC) regarding companies requiring job applicants to
possess a driver's license, even when driving is not an essential function
of the job. This topic was the subject of Resolution 2022-05
<https://nfb.org/resources/speeches-and-reports/resolutions/2022-resolutions
>  at last year's national convention in New Orleans. Under the ADA
Amendments Act of 2008, it is unlawful for companies to impose qualification
standards or selection criteria based on an individual's uncorrected vision
unless it is required to perform an essential function of the job. By
definition, a driver's license would fall into this category. This is
already prohibited in the current rule, but we are requesting that the EEOC
add a clarifying update to the rule to make it explicitly clear.

	Upcoming Event: Basics of PDF Remediation:
	On Tuesday, April 25, the Center of Excellence in Nonvisual Access
will present an Accessibility Boutique on creating accessible PDF documents.
Come learn strategies experts use to make digital documents readable by
screen readers! Register for the Basics of PDF Remediation boutique
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=28168&qid=8111077>  today.

 Reminders:
	Where the Blind Work-Investigating the News with Blind Journalists:
	Journalism involves interviewing, research, and sometimes extensive
travel, all of which could potentially present barriers to entry for blind
people given society's low expectations. We are severely underrepresented in
the field, making our perspective even more valuable. Some blind journalists
have been immensely successful. Join us on April 20, 8:00-9:15 p.m.,
eastern, to find out how. Registration information is available on our
website
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/employment/where-the-blind-work-webinars-
registration> .

Dates to Keep in Mind:
(all times eastern)
*	April 20: Where the Blind Work, 8:00 p.m.
*	May 10: Introduction to the Organized Blind Movement, 8:00 p.m.
*	June 1 and 4: Chapter Presidents Call, 8:00 p.m. (Member Engagement
and National Convention)
*	July 1-6, 2023: National Convention; Houston, Texas
*	August 9: Introduction to the Organized Blind Movement, 8:00 p.m.
*	September 7 and 10: Chapter Presidents Call, 8:00 p.m. (Blind
Equality Achievement Month)
*	November 8: Introduction to the Organized Blind Movement, 8:00 p.m.
*	December 7 and 10: Chapter Presidents Call, 8:00 p.m. (Planning the
Year Ahead)

Richard Payne,  President
937/829/3368
Rchpay7 at gmail.com <mailto:Rchpay7 at gmail.com>