[Ohio-Talk] Quick note.

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 20:08:30 UTC 2024

	Greetings Federation members,

	While sending you this quick note I wonder when the weather will get
more consistent, I did not say hot .

	I know that being in Ohio for so long this should be no surprise,
but it appears that I am always caught off guard.

	I want to thank all the membership for staying strong and being
willing to lift each other up. This is one of the reasons that I have stayed
so committed.

	When I was in Mississippi everyone who has visited our convention
gave this membership a lot of credit for being open and welcoming. I hope
that they can always use such kind words about Ohio.

	While we are not perfect, 	I stand on the strength that is
found in the membership continue to contact each other and lift each other
up.

Here is a message from Kinshuk Tella.

The National Federation of the Blind of Ohio joyfully announces the opening
of our 2024 scholarship program intended to benefit blind college students.
In the fall of 2024 NFBO will offer scholarships to outstanding blind
students who currently live in, or are attending college in the state of
Ohio during the 2024-2025 academic school year. The three scholarships will
be awarded in the amount of $1,500, $2,000, and $2,500. The awards will be
checks made directly to the winners.

Link:
	https://forms.gle/952eNrFtBBmwT86t6

	The National Association of Blind Veterans is offering a grant for
first-time convention attendees who are veterans. If you have questions
about this grant, please reach out to Vernon Humphrey at
mr_president at nabv.org <mailto:mr_president at nabv.org> . Please share this
message with your members who are vets.

Critical Actions:
	May Presidential Release:
	The May Presidential Release
<https://nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/presidential-releases>  is
scheduled for Wednesday, May 1, at 8:00 p.m., eastern. Each Presidential
Release Live includes a question-and-answer session. These questions can be
about recent activities or common questions members have about being in the
organized blind movement. Please submit questions early to
cdanielsen at nfb.org. <mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org--questions>  Zoom ID 916 7812
4399 <https://nfb-org.zoom.us/j/91678124399> .

	Distinguished Educator of Blind Students Award:
	The deadline to submit applications for the Distinguished Educator
of Blind Students Award is May 1, 2024. Go to
https://nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/distinguished-educ
ator-blind-students-award for information and to submit an application.

President's Notebook
National Federation of the Blind
Mark A. Riccobono
officeofthepresident at nfb.org <mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>
410-659-9314

Dear Federation Family,

I send this notebook with a significant appreciation for the importance of
our chosen family here in this movement. Thank you to the many among you who
have checked in, provided support, and offered me grace in the past three
weeks. I want you to know that I am back in the saddle and working to catch
up.

As always, the information flow will steadily increase between now and our
national convention in July. See below for other convention-specific
updates.

Speaking of convention, you have likely heard rumbling that our main hotel
is already full during some nights of the convention. This is, in fact, the
case. John Berggren is working closely with the Rosen team to make
additional arrangements and clarify policies. It appears demand for
attendance at our convention is on the rise, and you all are doing a great
job mobilizing interest. Please know we will be doing our part to make sure
the resources are available in Orlando to accommodate all who want to be at
our annual business meeting and family reunion.

[...]

Convention:
	New Delegates:
	For those of you who will serve as delegates for the first time this
summer, we will have a call in June to discuss the details. I will work to
circulate that date to you as soon as possible so you can put it on your
calendar. Also, we will be distributing an email soon regarding
convention-expense reimbursement for one delegate from each affiliate.

	Delegate Contact Information:
	Each affiliate president should send an email to Beth Braun
<mailto:bbraun at nfb.org>  listing your affiliate's delegate, alternate
delegate, and the cell phone number for each of them (that they will have at
convention). Please send that information by May 3.

	Grant from National Association of Blind Veterans:
	The National Association of Blind Veterans is offering a grant for
first-time convention attendees who are veterans. If you have questions
about this grant, please reach out to Vernon Humphrey at
mr_president at nabv.org <mailto:mr_president at nabv.org> . Please share this
message with your members who are vets.

Richard Payne,  President
937/829/3368