[Ohio-Talk] Some additional information after Sharing Solutions meeting last night

marianne at denningweb.com marianne at denningweb.com
Mon Jan 22 22:06:27 UTC 2024

Good afternoon. Someone brought up a book called "Food at Your Fingertips."
I have this book with a copyright of 1987. I am going to share a few of the
tips for people who are blind or visually impaired. We had many great
suggestions last night and I learned some new tips. I will share one or two
tips in each email over several days.

1.	Read your recipe carefully. Check to be sure you have everything you
need on hand. I have certainly failed to do this only to find one of the key
ingredients was missing.
2.	Get all of the needed ingredients together before you start. When
there is a blind cook in the family it is especially important that there be
a special place for everything and that things are always in their place.
Braille (or other) markers may be used on containers which cannot be
distinguished in some other way, such as canned foods. Most ingredients can
be located easily by the shape, size or location of the container. If there
is any doubt, one can always rely on taste, touch, or smell.
3.	Collect all of the utensils you will need, checking the amounts in
your recipe so you will use a bowl or pan of the right size. A blind cook
will find it easier to mix or cook in a slightly larger bowl or pan to
prevent beating out or boiling over.

I am sending this so people can think about changes they may make.