[PABS] NFB of PA's April 2024 Monthly Digest

Stacie Leap stacie.leap at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 17:43:26 UTC 2024

Hello everybody!

Welcome to our April 2024 monthly Digest: a monthly newsletter of the
National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania!

The events and information listed below will be within the National
Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania as well as any pertinent
information from the National Federation of the Blind and the Pennsylvania
blind community.

If you or anyone you know have any upcoming events or information that can
pertain to the blind community in Pennsylvania, please send them to Stacie
Leap at nfb.stacie at gmail.com  by the 27th of the month so it can be added
to our calendar for the following month.

For those using screen readers, you can use your heading navigations to
skip around the email.
Volume 2, Issue 3

*A Message from our State Affiliate President*

Happy April Fellow Federationists!

The NFB of PA is getting many requests to participate in Outreach events
around the Commonwealth.  If you know of an event happening in your
community, please reach out to participate.  These are wonderful
opportunities to share information about the NFB.

We are working on reserving a bus to assist individuals to attend the 2024
State Convention in Erie. If you are interested in reserving a seat on the
bus, here’s how to do it:

If you are not connected with a local Chapter or Division, you can send a
$25 non-refundable check to NFB of PA, 108 Parkview Drive, Phoenixville,
PA  19460. Checks should be made payable to:  NFB of PA and need to be
received by May 1, 2024.

If you are connected with a Chapter or Division, please reach out to your
Chapter or Division President.

Remember, April showers bring May flowers! So, do not be afraid of
raindrops!

Sincerely,

Lynn Heitz

President, National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania

president at NFBOfPA.org

Google Calendar Links

The National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania also has a Google
Calendar that can be viewed either through the web or subscribed to your
calendar apps.

You can View our Google Calendar
<https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=7jgal0nrodbmg61a8aar0o3i2g%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America%2FNew_York>

However, if you wish to subscribe to the calendar and get the events on
your calendar apps, please Subscribe
<https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/7jgal0nrodbmg61a8aar0o3i2g%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics>
and go through the steps to subscribe:

Member Spotlight: Jason Polanski

Each month, we will highlight someone within our affiliate. The goal is to
allow us to learn about other members within the affiliate. We hope you
enjoy this little spotlight!

Jason Polanski serves our state affiliate as one of their board of
directors as well as the Chapter President of the Capital Chapter. He is in
the Young Adult Ministry at Mechanicsburg Brethren in Christ Church. He
works as an Unemployment Compensation Claims Interviewer for the Department
of Labor and Industry within the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. He loves
trying new and different cuisine at restaurants throughout the Greater
Harrisburg area. His love for music also provides him opportunities to
attend various concerts in his area.  Whenever you encounter him at our
state convention, do not forget to say, “Hello!”

Calendar of Events

The following events are also on our Google calendar with the Zoom
information or meeting location. If anyone within a chapter, division, or
group see any errors or misinformation, please contact Stacie Leap at
nfb.stacie at gmail.com

The below information is correct as of the first week of the month. The
information is most up-to-date on the Google Calendar so please check back
periodically to ensure the right information.

*Coffee with the State President and Board*

This monthly discussion meeting brings everybody together to get to know
the state affiliate board members and the happenings within the state’s
divisions, chapters, and advocacy efforts. This meeting is typically held
the 1st Wednesday of the month. For more information, please contact State
President Lynn Heitz at president at nfbofpa.org

Wednesday, April 3, 2024 at 7:30 PM ET via Zoom.

Greater Philadelphia’s Bake Sale & Auction

Come support the Greater Philadelphia Chapter in their bake sale and
auction. There will be bake goods ranging from pies, cakes, cookies, banana
pudding, and so much more! There will also be an auction with a lot of
amazing items! For more information, please contact Chapter President
Denice Brown at dbrown8827 at aol.com

Friday, April 5, 2024 from 1 PM to 4 PM ET.

Park Towers Apartment (4001 Conshohocken Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19131)

Jigsaw Chapter monthly Meeting

a monthly meeting for those who do not have a local chapter in their
geographical area. This is our at-large chapter Meetings This meeting is
typically held on the 1st Saturday of the month. For more information,
please contact Chapter President David Miller at
David.miller at zoominternet.net

Saturday, April 6, 2024 at 10 AM ET via Zoom.

Deaf Blind Division Monthly Meeting

a monthly meeting for those who consider themselves to be Deaf Blind and
their supporters. This meeting is typically held on the 2nd Monday of the
month. For more information, please contact Division President Chris
Westbrook at westbchris at gmail.com

Monday, April 8, 2024 at 6 PM ET via Zoom.

Pennsylvania Association of Blind Merchants (PABM) Monthly Meeting

a monthly meeting for those who are or wish to be involved with the
Business Enterprise Program, entrepreneurship, and their supporters. This
meeting is typically held on the 2nd Wednesday of the month. For more
information, please contact Division President Pamela Baquero at
oneblindhippie at yahoo.com

Wednesday, April 10, 2024 at 6 PM ET via Zoom.

Greater Lehigh Valley Chapter Monthly Meeting

A monthly meeting for those who live in the Greater Lehigh Valley region of
Pennsylvania.  This includes Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton, and the
surrounding areas. This meeting is typically held on the 2nd Saturday of
the month. For more information, please contact Chapter President Cheryl
Frazier at cherylnfrazier at yahoo.com

Saturday, April 13, 2024 at 10 AM ET.

Denny's (1871 Catasauqua Road, Allentown, PA)

Keystone Chapter Monthly Meeting

a monthly meeting for those who live in the Greater Philadelphia area. This
is one of two local chapters in the Greater Philadelphia area. The other
chapter is the Greater Philadelphia Chapter. This meeting is typically held
on the 2nd Saturday of the month. For more information, please contact
Chapter President Harriet Go at goharriet00 at hotmail.com

Saturday, April 13, 2024 at 10:15AM ET, both in-person and zoom.

Penn Museum (3620 South Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104)

Happy Valley Chapter Monthly Meeting

A monthly meeting for those who live in or surrounding State College,
Pennsylvania.  This meeting is typically held on the 2nd Saturday of the
month. For more information, please contact Chapter President Michelle
McManus at michelleandremy at gmail.com

Saturday, April 13, 2024 at 1 PM ET.

 Webster’s Bookstore & Café (133 East Beaver Avenue, State College, PA
16801)
Pittsburgh Chapter Monthly Meeting

A monthly meeting for those who live in the Greater Pittsburgh area. This
meeting is typically held on the 3rd Wednesday of the month. For more
information, please contact Chapter Revitalizing Team Members Emily
Gindlesperger at vp2 at nfbp.org or Denice Brown at dbrown8827 at aol.com

Wednesday, April 17, 2024 at 7 PM ET via Zoom.

Piano Bar 2024

Sit back, relax, and listen to music performed at the annual Piano Bar
fundraiser by supporters of our Pennsylvania Organization of Parents of
Blind Children.   Angelina Angelcyk and Eddie Salcido will show off their
skills via piano while John Dowling and Carl Smith will play their guitars!
Suggested donations of $5. For more information, please contact PAOPBC
President, Emily Gindlesperger, at vp2 at nfbp.org

Friday, April 19, 2024 from 7 PM to 9 PM ET via Zoom.

Capital Area Chapter Monthly Meeting

a monthly meeting for those who live in the Greater Harrisburg area. This
meeting is typically held on the 3rd Saturday of the month. For More
Information, please contact Chapter President Jason Polanski at
jaedpo96 at gmail.com

Saturday, April 20, 2024 at 10 AM ET.

Tony Morrero’s (1723 Green Street, Harrisburg, PA 17102)

Greater Berks Chapter Monthly Meeting

A monthly meeting for those who live in the Greater Berks County of
Pennsylvania This meeting is typically held on the 3rd Saturday of the
month. For more information, please contact Chapter President Brian Mackey
at bmackey88 at gmail.com

Saturday, April 20, 2024 at 10 AM ET.

 West Lawn Wyomissing Hills Library (101 Woodside Avenue, West Lawn, PA
19609)

Erie County Chapter Monthly Meeting

a monthly meeting for those who live in Erie County Pennsylvania. This
meeting is typically held on the 3rd Saturday of the month. For more
information, please contact Connie Scheu at conniej1250 at gmail.com

Saturday, April 20, 2024 at 2 PM ET via Zoom.

Blind Parents Group Monthly Meeting

a monthly meeting for blind parents, grandparents, and their supporters
This meeting is typically held on the 3rd Saturday of the month. For more
information, please contact Group Chair Stacie Leap at Stacie.leap at gmail.com

Saturday, April 20, 2024 at 7 PM ET via Zoom.

Pennsylvania Association of Blind Students (PABS) Monthly Meeting

a monthly meeting for blind students of all ages and their supporters. This
meeting is typically held on the 4th Monday of the month. For more
information, please contact Division President Simon Bonenfant at
sbonenfant2 at gmail.com

Monday, April 22, 2024 at 7 PM ET via Zoom.

Blind Seniors Group Monthly Meeting

a monthly meeting for those who are seniors or almost seniors as well as
their supporters. This meeting is typically held on the 4th Wednesday of
the month. For more information, please contact Group Chair Connie Scheu at
conniej1250 at gmail.com

Wednesday, April 24, 2024 at 7:30 PM ET via Zoom.

Brandywine Valley Chapter Monthly Meeting

a monthly meeting for those who live in the Brandywine Valley area of PA.
This meeting is typically held on the 4th Saturday of the month. For more
information, please contact Chapter President Lynn Heitz at
president at nfbofpa.org

Saturday, April 27, 2024 at 10 AM ET

Greater Philadelphia Chapter Monthly Meeting

a monthly meeting for those who live in the Greater Philadelphia area. This
is one of two local chapters in the Greater Philadelphia area.  The other
chapter is the Keystone Chapter. This meeting is typically held on the 4th
Saturday of the month. For more information, please contact Chapter
President Denice Brown at dbrown8827 at aol.com

Saturday, April 27, 2024 at 10 AM ET

  Park Towers Apartment (4001 Conshohocken Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19131)

Pennsylvania Association of Guide Dog Users (PAGDU) Monthly Meeting

a monthly meeting for those who have or are considering getting a guide dog
as well as their supporters. This meeting is typically held on the 4th
Saturday of the month. For more information, please contact Division
President Becca Weber at  weberbecca630 at gmail.com

Saturday, April 27, 2024 at 4 pm ET via Zoom.

White Canes Connect Podcast

Did you know that the National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania has
a podcast? It is hosted by members David Goldstein and Lisa Bryant as well
as some guest hosts. It features interviews with our PA members as well as
interviews and resources for the blind community. The monthly digest is
also on the podcast for those who wish to hear a human’s voice instead of a
screen reader. You can listen to it wherever you listen to podcasts.

Listen on  Apple Podcasts
<https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/white-canes-connect/id1592248709>,
Spotify <https://open.spotify.com/show/1YDQSJqpoteGb1UMPwRSuI>, Amazon Music
<https://www.amazon.com/White-Canes-Connect/dp/B08K5B6683/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=white+canes+connect&qid=1636149501&qsid=139-0343126-3565115&s=audible&sr=1-1&sres=B08K5B6683,B07P88N4RS,B008U2QT28,B00MFS7BT8&srpt=WALKING_STICK>
, IHeartRadio
<https://www.iheart.com/podcast/263-white-canes-connect-89603482/>,
and on Twitter
@PABlindPodcast <https://www.twitter.com/pablindpodcast>. Contact White
Canes Connect at whitecanesconnect at gmail.com if you have any show ideas or
wish to be on the podcast.

2024 State Leadership Seminar – Recap

Our NFB of PA’s Leadership Seminar took place from Friday, March 8 until
Sunday, March 10, 2024 in State College, PA. Leaders from our state
affiliate came together and finetune their leadership skills, collaborate
on state-wide committees and initiatives, and build the National Federation
of the Blind. We had over 20 people in attendance and split up into the
following state-wide committees: Fundraising, Finance, Outreach,
Technology, and Membership. The following people were appointed as
committee chairs:

Finance: Emily Gindlesperger

Fundraising: Emily Gindlesperger

Membership: Denice Brown

Outreach: Michelle McManus

Technology: David Goldstein

We would like to extend our congratulations and gratitude to the
above-mentioned individuals for stepping up and taking further leadership
roles in strengthening our PA State Affiliate!

For more information about the Leadership Seminar or about the newly formed
state-wide committees, please contact State President Lynn Heitz at
president at nfbofpa.org

State Convention 2024

The 2024 Convention of the National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania
will be held November 7 through 10, 2024, at the Ambassador Banquet &
Conference Center in Erie, PA.

Ambassador Banquet & Conference Center

7794 Peach Street

Erie, PA 16509
Hotel Information

Although registration is not up, you can still book your hotel stay!

You can choose your hotel room at four different locations:

1. Hilton Garden Inn Erie

2225 Downs Drive

Erie, PA 16509

(814) 866-1390

Room Rate:  $109.00 plus tax

2. Courtyard Erie

7792 Peach Street

Erie, PA 16509

(814) 860-8300

Room Rate:  $109.00 plus tax

3. Holiday Inn Express & Suites Erie

8101 Peach Street

Erie, PA 16509

(814) 217-1100

Room Rate:  $99.00 plus tax

4. Country Inn & Suites Erie

8050 Peach Street

Erie, PA 16509

(814) 866-5544

Room Rate:  $99.00 plus tax

Charter Bus to State Convention

There will be a charter bus picking up convention attendees and take them
to the State Convention in Erie, PA. The bus route will start in
Philadelphia and travel to Allentown and State College before heading to
Erie. The bus will leave early Wednesday morning to head to the convention
and will leave Sunday afternoon to return home. A nonrefundable deposit of
$25 is required for all who wants to take the bus.  This deposit needs to
be made to your chapter or division treasurer by May 1, 2024. More
information on full price of the tickets will be made available as
information is received.

Diabetes Action Network: Knowledge is Sweet Seminar

Dates: April 26 - 27, 2024

Location: Hilton Airport - St. Louis MO

Registration Form (PDF): https://nfbmo.org/filedepot_download/249/190

Questions?

Contact: Debbie Wunder (President) at debbiewunder at charter.net or Call or
Text: 537-268-6989

Shout-Outs and Announcements! Birthday Wishes

The National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania would like to wish all
those who were born in April a very happy birthday!

Thank You Brian Mackey – resignation as NFB of PA’s Treasurer

On Friday, March 8, 2024, during our 2024 State Leadership Seminar, Brian
Mackey stepped down as our State Treasurer. He has been treasurer of our
affiliate since 2019. We would like to thank him tremendously for all his
hard work and dedication as our affiliate treasurer. Brian is not stepping
away from our state affiliate though! He will be working on revitalizing
the Greater Berks Chapter as their newly elected President!

Congratulations to Michelle Bernetskie, Interim State Treasurer

As mentioned above, Brian Mackey stepped down and the State Board of
Directors has appointed Michelle Bernetskie as the Interim Treasurer. She
will remain our Treasurer until our elections at the State Convention in
November 2024. We would like to congratulate Michelle in her new role!
Welcome to the State Board of Directors!

Good Luck to Denice Brown & Kim Stanley – Hot Chocolate Walk/Run

Grater Philadelphia Chapter President Denice Brown and member Kim Stanley
will be participating at the Hot Chocolate Walk/Run
<https://venturesendurance.enmotive.com/events/register/2024-hot-chocolate-run-philadelphia>
in Philadelphia, PA. They will be doing a 5K route on Saturday, April 6,
2024. We wish them good luck, strength, and endurance during this event!

Fundraisers I Love This Bar: Piano Versus Guitar!: Piano Bar 2024

President, Emily Gindlesperger, at vp2 at nfbp.org

Title: I Love This Bar! Piano versus Guitar!