[PACapitalChapter] about the attachment

Anna Walker missannawalker at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 22:23:01 UTC 2018

It seems like the listserv does not allow for attachments. I have pasted
the report into this email, so, hopefully, everyone can read it.

Anna

Meet the Blind Month activity of the Capital Chapter of the National
Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania at HACC on October 22, 2018
Overview:

On Monday, October 22, 2018, members of the Capital Chapter of the National
Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania honored Meet the Blind Month by
hosting a table at the Cooper Student Union on the Harrisburg campus of the
Harrisburg Area Community College. Chapter president Anna Walker, Chapter
vice-president, Matt Shore, and members Mark Pickens, Gerry Curylo, and
Carlton Walker enjoy sharing with students and staff the tools of blindness
success. Items on the table included the following:

·       Giveaways: Kernel books, NFB 2019 calendars, NFB Braille alphabet
cards, and make-your-own cane station with pretzels, M&M candies as cane
tips, and icing (to attach the tips.

·       Other exhibits: tactile drawing devices, egg cartons and ping pong
balls to illustrate Braille, slates and styluses, Braille-print tactile
storybooks, Brailled games (both Hangman and playing cards, a Math Window,
a tactile representation of a solar eclipse, and a Brailled alphabet
placemat. Four long white canes are also available for inspection by
visitors.

We met many students, and a few staff members, who were very interested in
learning more about blindness and meeting blind people. Most-loved
activities included making Braille with egg cartons and ping-pong balls,
making tactile drawings, and taking home Kernel books. A few people also
tried out the extra white canes, but we encouraged them to keep their eyes
open.

Anna’s cyber charter school, Commonwealth Charter Academy, is headquartered
just off campus, and several of her teachers came to check out our Meet the
Blind Month table. They enjoyed speaking with the chapter members and
interacting with various tools of blindness, including the refreshable
Braille display. We made sure each received two Kernel books, “Oh Wow!” And
“The World Under My Fingers.”

In addition to providing sighted students and staff the opportunity to meet
the blind and learn about our experiences and the tools we use, this
activity helped us to get to know each other better. Our chapter is quite
young; we reorganized not even two months ago, On August 25, 2018.

We thank our NFB of Pennsylvania affiliate for being so supportive of this
young chapter. Affiliate President Lynn Heitz has shepherded us through our
transition into becoming a functioning chapter, and NFB of PA First
Vice-president Joe Drenth and Marsha Drenth. We certainly wouldn’t be where
we are now without their support.

We also give special thanks to the HACC Office of Disability Services and
its AWESOME director, Carole Kerper, for sponsoring this activity. We look
forward to working with Ms. Kerper and HACC in future activities.

Pictures:

Picture shows the table and Mark Perkins and Anna Walker speaking with a
HACC student about the tools of blindness. Matt Shore and Gerry Curylo sit
at the other end of the table.

[image: Picture shows the table and Mark Perkins and Anna Walker speaking
with a HACC student about the tools of blindness. Matt Shore and Gerry
Curylo sit at the other end of the table.]

Picture shows three teachers from Commonwealth Charter Academy teachers
came by to visit our Chapter’s Meet the Blind Month table. In this picture,
Anna Walker shows her case manager, Randie Thomas, how her Braille Sense
with refreshable Braille display works. Ms. Thomas loved feeling the
Braille (a story Anna is writing).

[image: Picture shows three teachers from Commonwealth Charter Academy
teachers came by to visit our Chapter’s Meet the Blind Month table. In this
picture, Anna Walker shows her case manager, Randie Thomas, how her Braille
Sense with refreshable Braille display works. Ms. Thomas loved feeling the
Braille (a story Anna is writing).]

Facebook posts:

1.
https://www.facebook.com/braillemom/posts/10213353397291205?comment_id=10213353737099700&notif_id=1540226248397179&notif_t=feed_comment&ref=notif