[PACapitalChapter] NFB of PA April 2023 Digest

David Goldstein david at iCantCU.com
Sat Apr 1 08:11:20 UTC 2023

Good morning!

Below is the April Digest. It is also available as a podcast in the major directories and at https://traffic.libsyn.com/secure/whitecanesconnect/white_canes_connect_067_post.mp3 <https://traffic.libsyn.com/secure/whitecanesconnect/white_canes_connect_067_post.mp3>.

Best wishes to Stacie for a speedy recovery! Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers.

Regards,

David

April 2023 Digest

Special Note: Stacie Leap has been doing a fantastic job assisting with the Monthly Digest. This month, Stacie is feeling under the weather. We all share our thoughts and prayers for Stacie's quick recovery.
Thank you.
Hello everybody!
Welcome to our April 2023 monthly Digest: a monthly newsletter of the National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania!
During the first few days of the month, we will start sending out our calendar of events. These events will be within the National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania and any pertinent information from the National Federation of the Blind and the Pennsylvania blind community.
If you or anyone you know have any upcoming events or information about the blind community in Pennsylvania, please send them to Stacie Leap at stacie.leap at gmail.com <mailto:stacie.leap at gmail.com> by the 29th of the month for inclusion in our calendar the following month.

For those using screen readers, you can use your heading navigations to skip around the email.

A Message from our Affiliate President
04/01/2023
Welcome to this Month's Issue of the Digest!
No, this is not an April Fools Joke!
Spring has sprung, and we look forward to a month filled with outreach opportunities.
If you need literature for any outreach event, call the National Center at (410) 659-9314 and select option 3 for the Independence Market. All literature is mailed Free Reading Matter within a week of you placing the order.

Please inform us of any outreaches you are participating in and approximately how many individuals you speak with. This information is good for us when requesting grants to assist members.

NFB of PA April Raffle
Thank you to everyone who purchased raffle tickets! Get your Tickets ready! The time is here! If you bought an NFB of PA Spring raffle ticket, get your numbers ready. The month is finally here.

Please check out the calendar events for upcoming meetings and seminars available!
- Lynn Heitz, NFB of PA State Affiliate President

Membership Dues for 2023
We are still collecting dues for 2023! Please get in touch with your chapter and divisions for membership dues; each has different amounts.

Google Calendar Links
The National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania also has a Google Calendar available online or subscribed to your calendar apps.
You can view the calendar without subscribing to it and view it on your web browser by clicking the following link:
https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=7jgal0nrodbmg61a8aar0o3i2g%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America%2FNew_York <https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=7jgal0nrodbmg61a8aar0o3i2g%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America%2FNew_York>
However, if you wish to subscribe to the calendar and get the events on your calendar apps, please click the following link and go through the steps to subscribe: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/7jgal0nrodbmg61a8aar0o3i2g%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics <https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/7jgal0nrodbmg61a8aar0o3i2g%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics>

Member Spotlight" Connie Scheu
Each month, we will highlight someone within our affiliate. The goal is to allow other members to learn about other members within the affiliate. We hope you enjoy this little spotlight!

Connie Scheu holds many roles within the affiliate. She is one of the Board Directors for our State Affiliate. Connie also helps with the Erie County Chapter meetings and co-chairs our newly formed group: Blind Seniors. She also assisted in restarting the Senior Possibilities Fair at our 2022 State Convention, along with other volunteers. With all that, she also loves to sing Karaoke. If you attended our 2022 State Convention, you would have heard her beautiful voice singing Karaoke at the Talent Showcase! If you ever get a chance to meet her in person, make sure you say "Hello!"

Calendar of Events
The following events are also on our Google calendar with the Zoom information. If anyone within a chapter, division, or group sees any errors or misinformation, please get in touch with Stacie Leap at stacie.leap at gmail.com <mailto:stacie.leap at gmail.com> or text (215) 776-6741.

 The below information is correct as of the first week of the month. The information is most up-to-date on the Google Calendar, so please check back periodically to ensure accurate information.

 Coffee With The President & Board
Bring your coffee and questions to this virtual town hall with NFB of PA President Lynn Heitz and affiliate board members.
 Wednesday, April 5, 2023, at 7:00 pm ET

 Jigsaw Chapter Meeting
 a monthly meeting for those who do not have a local chapter in their geographical area. This is our at-large chapter.
 Saturday, April 1, 2023, at 10:00 am ET

 Erie County Chapter Meeting
 a monthly meeting for those who live in Erie County, Pennsylvania.
 Saturday, April 15, 2023, at 2:00 pm ET

Pennsylvania Association of Blind Merchants (PABM) Monthly Meeting
 a monthly meeting for those who are or wish to be involved with the Business Enterprise Program, entrepreneurship, and their supporters.
 Wednesday, April 12, 2023, at 6 pm ET

 Greater Berks Chapter Monthly Meeting
A monthly meeting for those who live in the Greater Berks County of Pennsylvania
Friday, April 14, 2023, at 10 am ET

 Keystone Chapter Monthly Meeting
 a monthly meeting for those who live in the Philadelphia area. Keystone is one of two local chapters in the Philadelphia area.
Saturday, April 8, 2023, at 10:15 am ET

Deaf-Blind Division Monthly Meeting
 a monthly meeting for those who consider themselves Deaf-Blind and their supporters.
 Monday, April 10, 2023, at 6 pm ET

Pennsylvania Organization of Parents of Blind Children (PAOPBC) Monthly Meeting
 a monthly meeting for parents of blind children and their supporters
 Tuesday, April 11, 2023, at 11 am ET

Pittsburgh Chapter Monthly Meeting
A monthly meeting for those who live in the Greater Pittsburgh area.
Wednesday, April 19, 2023, at 6 pm ET

 Capital Area Chapter Monthly Meeting
 a monthly meeting for those who live in the Greater Harrisburg area.
 Saturday, April 15, 2023, at 10 am ET

 Blind Parents Group Monthly Meeting
 a monthly meeting for blind parents, grandparents, and their supporters
 Saturday, April 15, 2023, at 7 pm ET

 Blind Seniors Group
 a monthly meeting for seniors or almost seniors as well as their supporters.
 Wednesday, April 26, 2023, at 7:30 pm ET

 Brandywine Valley Chapter Monthly Meeting
 a monthly meeting for those who live in the Brandywine Valley.
 Saturday, April 22, 2023, at 10 am ET

Greater Philadelphia Chapter Monthly Meeting
a monthly meeting for those who live in the Greater Philadelphia area. Greater Philadelphia is one of two local chapters in the Philadelphia area.
Saturday, April 22, 2023, at 10 am ET

 Pennsylvania Association of Guide Dog Users (PAGDU)
 a monthly meeting for those who have or are considering getting a guide dog and their supporters.
 Saturday, April 22, 2023, at 4 pm ET

 Pennsylvania Association of Blind Students (PABS) Monthly Meeting
 a monthly meeting for blind students of all ages and their supporters.
 Monday, April 25, 2023, at 7 pm ET

 White Canes Connect Podcast
 Did you know the National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania has a podcast? Members David Goldstein and Lisa Bryant host. It features interviews with our PA members and interviews and resources for the blind community. You can listen to it wherever you listen to podcasts.
Listen on  Apple Podcasts <https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/white-canes-connect/id1592248709>, Spotify <https://open.spotify.com/show/1YDQSJqpoteGb1UMPwRSuI>, Amazon Music <https://www.amazon.com/White-Canes-Connect/dp/B08K5B6683/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=white+canes+connect&qid=1636149501&qsid=139-0343126-3565115&s=audible&sr=1-1&sres=B08K5B6683,B07P88N4RS,B008U2QT28,B00MFS7BT8&srpt=WALKING_STICK>, IHeartRadio <https://www.iheart.com/podcast/263-white-canes-connect-89603482/>, and Twitter @PABlindPodcast <https://www.twitter.com/pablindpodcast>. Contact White Canes Connect at whitecanesconnect at gmail.com <mailto:whitecanesconnect at gmail.com> if you have any show ideas or wish to be on the podcast.

Birthday Wishes and Special Occasions
Birthday Wishes!
The National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania would like to wish all those who were born in April a very happy birthday!

Blind Parents Group T-Shirts Fundraiser
The Blind Parents Group still has some t-shirts left over from our fundraising efforts at the state convention. The t-shirts come in either black with white lettering or white with black lettering. Both shirts say "I Support #BlindParents" with the NFB of PA Logo and "Blind Parents Group" at the bottom. Funds raised will start scholarship funds to assist blind or visually impaired parents and their families through financial hardships. To purchase a t-shirt, please get in touch with Stacie Leap at stacie.leap at gmail.com <mailto:stacie.leap at gmail.com>

Past: Happy Valley Powerhouse Sub Fundraiser
The Happy Valley recently had its Powerhouse Subs fundraiser that ended earlier this month. They want to thank everybody who helped make this fundraiser a success!
Other External Events
These events are not hosted or sponsored by the NFB or the NFB of PA. However, these might be good resources for Pennsylvania residents. If you have any events that you wish to be in our monthly digest, please email Stacie Leap at stacie.leap at gmail.com <mailto:stacie.leap at gmail.com>

Liberty Resources' Blind/Low Vision Support Group
Our members Karen Rose and Simone Cooper partner with Liberty Resources to hold a weekly virtual support group at Liberty Resources. The aim is to share resources and support those experiencing blindness or low vision. Meetings are weekly on Tuesdays from 1 pm to 2 pm ET. For more information or to sign-up, please email Latoya Maddox at LatoyaMaddox at libertyresources.org <mailto:LatoyaMaddox at libertyresources.org>.

Vision Thru Art
Vision Thru Art is a weekly sculpture class for blind and visually-impaired artists that has been running at Allens Lane Art Center for over 30 years. Our dedicated faculty, staff, and volunteers help the students express their inner vision through various media, including clay, wood, mosaic, stone, and other mixed materials. The students are encouraged to work at their own pace while enjoying the easy-going social atmosphere of the class. In 2014, Allens Lane Art Center made the class entirely free for all the students, including free art supplies each year.
Location: The Fluhr Studio - (downstairs back studio accessible by the rear entrance). Many of the students use Para-transit to get to the class. Service dogs are, of course, welcome.
Day/Time: Wednesday, 10:30 am – 12:30 pm and Friday, 10:30 am – 12:30 pm.
Fees: There are no fees for this class.
Registration: Contact by phone (215-248-0546) or by https://allenslane.org/vision-thru-art/ <https://allenslane.org/vision-thru-art/>

Women Healed For A Purpose 2023 Conference!
Our member Lyvette Byrd is hosting her 2nd Annual Women Healed For a Purpose Conference under her business, For The Byrds Consulting, LLC. The conference's mission is to equip and restore the community through a faith-based initiative to strengthen women holistically; mind, body, and spirit.
We are women Living Interdependently in support of Family, Friends, and our Fellow neighbors to Educate and Empower our community. The event will be on Saturday, October 28, 2023. More details about the event will come at a later date!

NFB Pledge
I pledge to participate actively in the effort of the National Federation of the Blind; to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind; to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to abide by its constitution.

NFB Message
The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams.

Many thanks to everybody for all they do within the Federation!

Thanks!
The National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania team

David Goldstein
david at iCantCU.com
(610) 715-5020 mobile
www.iCantCU.com <https://www.icantcu.com/>
iCantCU Podcast
Apple Podcasts <https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/icantcu-podcast/id1445801370> | Spotify <https://open.spotify.com/show/3nck2D5HgD9ckSaUQaWwW2> | IHeartRadio <https://www.iheart.com/podcast/256-icantcu-podcast-31157111/>
Support The Podcast When You Shop
Amazon <https://www.icantcu.com/amazon>
Connect with me:
Twitter <https://twitter.com/davidbenj> | Instagram <https://www.instagram.com/davidbenj/> | LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/davidbenj> | Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/davidbenj>