[PACapitalChapter] National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania's May 2023 Monthly Digest

Stacie Leap stacie.leap at gmail.com
Fri May 5 14:47:15 UTC 2023

Hello everybody!

Welcome to our May 2023 monthly Digest: a monthly newsletter of the
National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania!

During the first few days of the month, we will start sending out our
calendar of events. These events will be within the National Federation of
the Blind of Pennsylvania as well as any pertinent information from the
National Federation of the Blind and the Pennsylvania blind community.

If you or anyone you know have any upcoming events or information that can
pertain to the blind community in Pennsylvania, please send them to Stacie
Leap at stacie.leap at gmail.com by the 29th of the month so it can be added
to our calendar for the following month.

For those using screen readers, you can use your heading navigations to
skip around the email.

1. Google Calendar Links

The National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania also has a Google
Calendar that can be viewed either through the web or subscribed to your
calendar apps.

You can view the calendar without subscribing to it and view it on your web
browser by clicking: View our Google Calendar
<https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=7jgal0nrodbmg61a8aar0o3i2g%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America%2FNew_York>

However, if you wish to subscribe to the calendar and get the events on
your calendar apps, please click Subscribe
<https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/7jgal0nrodbmg61a8aar0o3i2g%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics>
and go through the steps to subscribe:

2. Member Spotlight” Emily Gindlesperger

Each month, we will highlight someone within our affiliate. The goal is to
allow other members to learn about other members within the affiliate. We
hope you enjoy this little spotlight!

Emily Gindlesperger serves as our affiliate as the 2nd Vice President. She
was also nominated to be our Legislative Director and 2023 Convention
Chair. As Legislative Director, she is the lead on our Washington Seminar
events where a group of people talk and advocate to our federal legislators
on issues affecting our Pennsylvania blind community.  She is also the
President of the Pennsylvania Organization of Parents of Blind Children
(PAOPBC). She sits with other parents at IEP meetings in order to ensure
the best accommodations for blind children. A mother of two, enjoys baking
cookies and making soup. She likes to network with other people at the
annual state convention so if you get a chance to meet her, do not forget
to say “Hello!”

3. Calendar of Events

The following events are also on our Google calendar with the Zoom
information. If anyone within a chapter, division, or group see any errors
or misinformation, please contact Stacie Leap at stacie.leap at gmail.com

 The below information is correct as of the first week of the month. The
information is most up-to-date on the Google Calendar so please check back
periodically to ensure the right information.

Jigsaw Chapter monthly Meeting

  a monthly meeting for those who do not have a local chapter in their
geographical area. This is our at-large chapter.  Meetings

Saturday, May 6, 2023 at 10 AM ET

Deaf Blind Division Monthly Meeting

 a monthly meeting for those who consider themselves to be Deaf Blind and
their supporters.

 Monday, May 8, 2023 at 6PM ET

Pennsylvania Organization of Parents of Blind Children (PAOPBC) Monthly
Meeting

 a monthly meeting for parents of blind children and their supporters

 Tuesday, May 9, 2023 at 11 AM ET

Pennsylvania Association of Blind Merchants (PABM) Monthly Meeting

 a monthly meeting for those who are or wish to be involved with the
Business Enterprise Program, entrepreneurship and their supporters.

  Wednesday, May 10, 2023 at 6PM ET

  Greater Berks Chapter Monthly Meeting

A monthly meeting for those who live in the Greater Berks County of
Pennsylvania

Friday, May 12, 2023 at 10 AM ET

Greater Lehigh Valley Chapter Monthly Meeting

A monthly meeting for those who live in the Greater Lehigh Valley region of
Pennsylvania.  This includes Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton, and the
surrounding areas.

Saturday, May 13, 2023 at 10 AM ET.

Keystone Chapter Monthly Meeting

  a monthly meeting for those who live in the Greater Philadelphia area.
This is one of two local chapters in the Greater Philadelphia area. The
other chapter is the Greater Philadelphia Chapter.

Saturday, May 13, 2023 at 10:15AM ET

Pittsburgh Chapter Monthly Meeting

A monthly meeting for those who live in the Greater Pittsburgh area.

Wednesday, May 17, 2023 at 6PM ET

  Capital Area Chapter Monthly Meeting

  a monthly meeting for those who live in the Greater Harrisburg area.

  Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 10 AM ET

Greater Philadelphia Chapter Monthly Meeting

a monthly meeting for those who live in the Greater Philadelphia area. This
is one of two local chapters in the Greater Philadelphia area.  The other
chapter is the Keystone Chapter.

Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 10 AM ET

  Erie County Chapter Monthly Meeting

  a monthly meeting for those who live in Erie County Pennsylvania.

Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 2PM ET

  Blind Parents Group Monthly Meeting

  a monthly meeting for blind parents, grandparents, and their supporters

  Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 7PM ET

  Pennsylvania Association of Blind Students (PABS) Monthly Meeting

  a monthly meeting for blind students of all ages and their supporters.

  Monday, May 22, 2023 at 7PM ET

  Blind Seniors Group Monthly Meeting

  a monthly meeting for those who are seniors or almost seniors as well as
their supporters.

  Wednesday, May 24, 2023 at 7:30PM ET

  Brandywine Valley Chapter Monthly Meeting

  a monthly meeting for those who live in the Brandywine Valley.

  Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 10 AM ET

  Pennsylvania Association of Guide Dog Users (PAGDU) Monthly Meeting

  a monthly meeting for those who have or are considering getting a guide
dog as well as their supporters.

  Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 4pm ET

4.  White Canes Connect Podcast

 Did you know that the National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania has
a podcast? It is hosted by members David Goldstein and Lisa Bryant. It
features interviews with our PA members as well as interviews and resources
for the blind community. You can listen to it wherever you listen to
podcasts.

Listen on  Apple Podcasts
<https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/white-canes-connect/id1592248709>,
Spotify <https://open.spotify.com/show/1YDQSJqpoteGb1UMPwRSuI>, Amazon Music
<https://www.amazon.com/White-Canes-Connect/dp/B08K5B6683/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=white+canes+connect&qid=1636149501&qsid=139-0343126-3565115&s=audible&sr=1-1&sres=B08K5B6683,B07P88N4RS,B008U2QT28,B00MFS7BT8&srpt=WALKING_STICK>
, IHeartRadio
<https://www.iheart.com/podcast/263-white-canes-connect-89603482/>,
and on Twitter
@PABlindPodcast <https://www.twitter.com/pablindpodcast>. Contact White
Canes Connect at whitecanesconnect at gmail.com if you have any show ideas or
wish to be on the podcast.

5. National Convention 2023

*Registration is now open for the 2023 National Convention. Tickets are $25
and banquet tickets are $70. The convention will take place in Houston,
Texas from July 1-6, 2023. Hotel information and registration links are at *
*www.nfb.org/convention* <http://www.nfb.org/convention>

6. Special Shout-Outs! Birthday Wishes

The National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania would like to wish all
those who were born in May a very happy birthday!

Thank you, Mom!

The NFB of PA would also like to extend our gratitude to all mothers and
mother figures! Thank you for all your hard work, perseverance. Love, and
support! Happy Mother’s Day!

Congratulations to Cheryl Frazier!

We would like to congratulate Cheryl Frazier for being nominated as the
President of the Greater Lehigh Valley Chapter at their April 2023 meeting.
She previously served the role of Vice President! Congratulations!!!

A Message from Stacie Leap

“Hello Federation family! Thank you to everybody for all your well wishes,
positive thoughts, and prayers as I went through a big medical emergency. I
ended up with a bad case of pneumonia that ended up affecting a lot of my
already existing health conditions. I am slowly regaining my health and
slowly taking on responsibilities. This past month has helped me reflect on
my health and I will be taking more time focusing on my health instead of
pushing it off to the side. I thank those who called, texted, and showed up
to help. I really, really, really appreciate all of you!”

7. Fundraisers PAOPBC Chocolate Fundraiser

The Pennsylvania Organization of Parents of Blind Children ended their
Sarris Chocolate fundraiser and would like to thank everybody who helped
make the fundraiser a success!

Community Service Division to bring their boxes of love service project to
national convention!

The National Federation of the Blind Community Service Division will
participate in a service project on Sunday, July 2, 2023. We are partnering
with The Ronald McDonald House in Houston, Texas.

Our division’s goal is to fill 100 Bags of Love. The items we need to
collect are below:

·        Individual variety snacks (Chips, Crackers, Cereal/Granola Bars of
any kind)

·        Ramen noodles

·        Shampoo/Conditioners

·        Toothbrushes/Hair Brushes

·        Toothpaste

·        Disinfectant Wipes

·        Ziploc Bags of all sizes

·        wet wipes

·        mouthwash

·        lotion

·        bath towels or sponges

·        hand sanitizer

·        razors

·        deodorant (all types)

·        body wash (bars or bottle)

These brand-new products can be trail or any size.  Also, if you plan to
mail your products to our division president, they will need to be mailed
by Wednesday, May 31, 2023. If you have questions, please contact Jeanetta
Price at 409-344-1005.

Mailing Address

Jeanetta Price

8035 San Bruno Street

Beaumont, Texas 77708

Blind Parents Group T-Shirts Fundraiser

The Blind Parents Group still has some t-shirts left over from our
fundraising efforts at the state convention. The t-shirts come in either
black with white letterings or white with black letterings. Both shirts say
“I Support #BlindParents” with the NFB of PA Logo and “Blind Parents Group”
at the bottom. Funds raised will start a scholarship fund to assist blind
or visually impaired parents and their family through financial life
hardships. To purchase a t-shirt, please contact Stacie Leap at
stacie.leap at gmail.com

8. Other External Events

These events are not hosted or sponsored by the NFB or the NFB of PA.
However, we think these might be good resources for those living in
Pennsylvania. If you have any events that you wish to be in our monthly
digest, please email Stacie Leap at stacie.leap at gmail.com

SEPTA Advisory Council Meeting Postponed

The Southeastern Pennsylvania Transit Authority typically holds monthly
advisory council meetings to the public; however, meetings are postponed
until further notice. There was a May meeting scheduled but it was
canceled. Please see the letter sent to the Advisory Council and public.
This was sent out in February 2023.

Good afternoon, SAC members and general public,

I regret to inform you that the February 9, 2023, SAC meeting is
canceled. SEPTA must complete an internal investigation regarding the
conduction of SAC meetings.

SAC meetings will resume upon SAC chairs and SEPTA coming to a resolution
on their internal issues. We apologize for any inconvenience this may
cause.

Sincerely,

The SAC chairs

John Jon Awareness Walk

Our member Lyvette Byrd is putting on her 2nd Annual John Jon Awareness
Walk on Saturday, July 15, 2023 at the John Heinz Wildlife Refuge Park in
Philadelphia, PA. It is to raise awareness about people with different
abilities and to honor their advocates. More information and registration
coming soon!

Liberty Resources’ Blind/Low Vision Support Group

Our members Karen Rose and Simone Cooper partner up with Liberty Resources
to hold a weekly virtual support group at Liberty Resources. The aim is to
share resources and provide support to those experiencing blindness or low
vision. Meetings are weekly on Tuesdays from 1pm to 2pm ET via Zoom. You do
not need to live in Philadelphia to attend these meetings, this is open to
all in Pennsylvania! For more information or to sign-up, please email
Latoya Maddox at LatoyaMaddox at libertyresources.org

Vision Thru Art

Vision Thru Art is a weekly sculpture class for blind and visually-impaired
artists that has been running at Allens Lane Art Center for more than 30
years. Our dedicated faculty, staff and volunteers help the students
express their inner vision through a variety of media including clay, wood,
mosaic, stone and other mixed materials. The students are encouraged to
work at their own pace while enjoying the easy-going social atmosphere of
the class. In 2014, Allens Lane Art Center made the class completely free
for all the students including free art supplies each year.

*Location:* The Fluhr Studio - (downstairs back studio accessible by rear
entrance). Many of the students use Para-transit to get to the class.
Service dogs are of course welcome.

*Day/Time:*  Wednesday, 10:30 am – 12:30pm and Friday 10:30 am – 12:30pm.

*Fees:* There are no fees for this class.

*Registration:* Contact by phone (215-248-0546) or by
https://allenslane.org/vision-thru-art/

Women Healed For A Purpose 2023 Conference!

Our member Lyvette Byrd is hosting her 2nd Annual Women Healed For a
Purpose Conference under her business, For The Byrds Consulting, LLC. The
mission of the conference is to equip and restore the community through a
faith-based initiative that we hope will strengthen women holistically;
mind, body, and spirit.

We are women Living Interdependently in support of Family, Friends, and our
Fellow neighbors to Educate and Empower our community. The event will be on
Saturday, October 28, 2023. More details about the event will come at a
later date!

9. NFB Pledge

I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National Federation
of the Blind; to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind;
to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to abide by its
constitution.

10. NFB Message

between blind people and our dreams.

Many thanks to everybody for all they do within the Federation!

Thanks!

the National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania team

www.nfbp.org