[Perform-talk] CD Baby Accessibility Update

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Fri Dec 11 19:05:53 UTC 2009

Hi Friends,
I recently received an e-mail from Kevin Breuner - CD Baby
<kevin at cdbaby.com>
I am copying my response from today with his note to me below. His note
and mine refer to Micah Solomon of Oasis, who has interceded on our
behalf with the company. If anyone else has anything to offer as
feedback, send it to the above address.
Donna Hill, Head of Media Relations, PAD, NFB
****
Hi Kevin,
Thank you for your interest in fixing CDBaby's accessibility problems.
As you know, I have sent CDBaby and Micah very specific details of how
the site is currently not working for those of us who use text-to-speech
software. I have also recommended things to Joel Andrew, including
providing him with the contact information for the Access Technology
team at the NFB's Jernigan Institute in Baltimore. Joel has been made
aware that both Flash technology and Java -- the two reasons we have
been given for the problem -- can be made accessible. Also, Dennis HR
Sumlin, President of the Performing Arts Division of the National
Federation of the Blind (PAD, NFB) wrote to the company offering his
assistance in restoring access for text-to-speech users to the CDBaby site.

Despite all of this as well as letters to CDBaby from other blind fans
and musicians, nothing seems to have changed, except we now no longer
get information that there is a flash player  -- since your "upgrade" in
July, the Preview function has not worked for us. So, something you did
made it even harder to figure out what is going on than it was.

I went on the site today to see if anything had changed, and other than
noticing other things that don't work or are improperly labeled, nothing
has changed. I can only assume that you have not taken advantage of the
free assistance which is being offered to you. What more can I say to
you, when it seems obvious that your idea of a priority doesn't include
actually doing anything that would result in any changes?

Sincerely,
Donna Hill, CDBaby artist and fan
Head of Media Relations, Performing Arts Division
National Federation of the Blind
dwhill at epix.net
570-833-2708

Read my articles on American Chronicle:
http://www.americanchronicle.com/authors/view/3885

Follow me on Twitter:
www.twitter.com/dewhill

Join Me on LinkedIn:
http://www.linkedin.com/in/dwh99

Or,  FaceBook:
http://www.facebook.com/donna.w.hill.

Hear clips from "The Last Straw" at:
http://cdbaby.com/cd/donnahill

Apple I-Tunes

phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playListId=259244374

Performing Arts Division of the National Federation of the Blind
www.padnfb.org

Kevin Breuner - CD Baby wrote:
> Donna,
>
> I know you've been in touch with Micah Solomon about the accessibility
> issues at CD Baby.  I wanted to let you know, as mentioned, that it is
> a top priority for us to get this resolved fully.
>
> If you have any feedback that you think would be useful, please feel
> free to email me directly.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kevin | CD Baby
>
> kevin at cdbaby.com