[Perform-talk] NFB Seeking Students attending certain universities re Kindle

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Tue Jun 2 19:59:47 UTC 2009

>From NOPBC President Carol Caatellano:

Dear Fellow Federationists:

 The National Federation of the Blind would like to know if you are
currently studying at any of the following institutions, if you will be
studying at these institutions as of the fall of 2009, or if you know an
individual who is or will be.  The institutions are Princeton University,
Reed College, Case Western Reserve University, Arizona State University,
Pace University, and University of Virginia’s Darden School of Business.
These six colleges and universities are planning to engage in a pilot
project using Amazon’s new Kindle DX electronic reading device to distribute
electronic textbooks.  This device is not accessible to the blind, nor is it
likely to be accessible by the fall of 2009.  The Kindle DX features many
advanced reading functions that will be of help to students; however, if
blind students do not have access to this technology, they will be at a
further competitive disadvantage relative to their sighted peers.  For this
reason, we are attempting to resolve this issue and need to know of any
blind students who will be affected.

In a similar matter, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns =
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Northwest Missouri State
University plans to roll out a different, but also inaccessible, electronic
textbook system for all of its students in the fall of 2009.  We would
appreciate any information about any blind students studying at this
institution.

If you are an affected student or know of one, please contact Chris
Danielsen at the National Federation of the Blind headquarters in
Baltimore.  You can call Chris at (410) 659-9314, extension 2330, or e-mail
him at cdanielsen at nfb.org.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

Carol Castellano, President
973-377-0976
carol_castellano at verizon.net
www.nfb.org/nopbc

carol_castellano at verizon.net
www.nfb.org/nopbc

--
Carlton Anne Cook Walker
213 North First Street

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:nfbp-talk-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:nfbp-talk-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Database version: 6.12520

Read my articles on American Chronicle:
http://www.americanchronicle.com/authors/view/3885

Join Me on LinkedIn:
http://www.linkedin.com/in/dwh99

Or,  FaceBook:
http://www.facebook.com/people/Donna-W-Hill/1506852042

For my bio & to hear clips from The Last Straw:
http://cdbaby.com/cd/donnahill

Apple I-Tunes

phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playListId=259244374

Performing Arts Division of the National Federation of the Blind
www.padnfb.org