[Perform-talk] NFB Takes Stand re Education of Blind Children in Utah

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Wed Jun 10 14:35:42 UTC 2009

Hi Friends,
Other than sticking a "for" in the NFB's name several times, which I
wrote to her about, this writer does get high marks for getting the word
out about the education of blind children in Utah. Full article follows
the URL as usual.
Donna Hill

Complaint filed against Utah Schools for Deaf and Blind
http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_12556007Education » Parents, advocacy
group ask state to fix alleged injustices.

By Kirsten Stewart

The Salt Lake Tribune

Updated: 06/09/2009 06:53:41 PM MDT

Imagine braving that first day of chemistry without a textbook. All the
other kids have one, but yours is on back order.

Or imagine being excluded from practice tests. And when test day
arrives, the questions are illegible. Just do your best and guess, the
teacher says.

These are other injustices are alleged in a 14-page complaint filed
Tuesday by the National Federation for the Blind, urging the
Utah
 State Office of Education to fix long-standing, deeply rooted problems
at Utah Schools for the Deaf and Blind.

The problems constitute a violation of state and federal laws
guaranteeing blind and visually impaired children a "free, appropriate
education," the complaint
alleges.

The state has 60 days to investigate and respond. No one is threatening
legal action, although that would be the next step.

"Our hope is we can sit at the table and mediate a solution to all
this," says Denise Colton, vice president of Utah Parents of Blind
Children, an affiliate
of the National Federation for the Blind.

Officials at the schools for the deaf and blind did not immediately
respond for comment Tuesday.

The deaf and blind schools serve more than 1,400 students throughout the
state, most of them enrolled in neighborhood schools and public charter
schools.
They supply Braille textbooks and other instructional tools,
technologies and tutoring. And they collaborate with teachers to
evaluate students and map
their education plans
and progress.

But no formal agreement exists between the deaf and blind schools and
local districts, leading to educational
disparities
 and confusion over who pays for services and who is responsible for
providing them, say parents behind the complaint.

Arbitrary "first-come, first-serve" rules dictate when students get
Braille books, embossers and electronic note taking equipment, parents say.

Colton says her 16-year-old daughter, Katie, went more than four months
this year without a geometry book. And though textbook shortages are
common in Utah's
underfunded schools, the Park City mom says visually impaired children
don't have the luxury of sharing texts.

Blind students also are often excluded from practice tests. Even when
instructional aids are available, teachers aren't always trained to use
them, say
parents. And there's little quality control to ensure Braille
translations are accurate.

Pat Renfranz says her 13-year-old daughter, Caroline, has complained
over the years about Braille
exams
 with illegible or missing information. This year, Renfranz was able to
convince Granite School District officials to preserve the tests and
have them proofread.

"So at least we're making some headway," said Renfranz. "But I feel it's
only because Caroline was confident enough in her test-taking skills
that anybody
knows there's a problem with these tests."

Teachers aren't to blame. The problem is inadequate training, says Mike
Palmer, the father of two blind children attending a public charter
school. "It's
not like our word against theirs. Teachers are nervous about evaluating
students. They say 'I've never done this before.' "

The complaint alleges some students are never evaluated, the first step
toward securing special academic support. Others are screened by
untrained, unlicensed
people.

As a result, students with progressive blindness or residual vision are
denied early training in Braille, said Ron Gardner, president of the
national federation's
Utah chapter.

It's a "wait to fail" model that Gardner has fought for years. Parents
have been afraid to come forward for fear of being perceived as turning
on the school
system.

But frustrations have reached "critical mass," they say.

"We are not asking for special treatment. ...We are only asking that the
state do what is required by law and create a level playing field where
our children
can succeed on their own merits," said Marla Palmer, president of Utah
Parents of Blind Children.

kstewart at sltrib.com

Fixing problems at schools for deaf and blind

The National Federation of the Blind filed a complaint against the Utah
Schools for the Deaf and Blind, alleging violations of the Individuals
with Disabilities
Education Act.

Among the group's suggested remedies:

Work with a national consultant to audit student evaluations annually
for five years.

Train and certify public school teachers to evaluate students for
eligibility for academic support.

Hire more certified Braille transcribers, proofreaders and teachers.

Require USDB to collect and report "reliable" outcomes data.

Creation of a binding interagency agreement between school districts and
the program that serves deaf and blind s

Read my articles on American Chronicle:
http://www.americanchronicle.com/authors/view/3885

Join Me on LinkedIn:
http://www.linkedin.com/in/dwh99

Or,  FaceBook:
http://www.facebook.com/people/Donna-W-Hill/1506852042

For my bio & to hear clips from The Last Straw:
http://cdbaby.com/cd/donnahill

Apple I-Tunes

phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playListId=259244374

Performing Arts Division of the National Federation of the Blind
www.padnfb.org