[Perform-talk] Florida NFB leader, NAGDU president & blind performer takes on Tampa public transit

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Wed Jun 10 14:53:48 UTC 2009

Group asks HART to Provide Verbal Cues

By MARION GWIZDALA
http://brandonnews2.tbo.com/content/2009/jun/10/br-group-asks-hart-to-provide-verbal-cues/
Special to News & Tribune

Published: June 10, 2009

PALM RIVER - As a blind citizen, it is my desire to fully participate in
all aspects of society on equal terms with my sighted peers. As an
elected representative
of the National Federation of the Blind -- the oldest and largest
organization of the blind in the United States - it is my responsibility
to ensure that
every blind person has the opportunity to do so.

Frequently, my desire as a private citizen and my responsibility as an
advocate for the blind overlap, and I find myself fighting not only for
my rights,
but for the rights of others. After all, what affects me as an
individual affects all blind people. There are some issues that may seem
to only concern
a few blind people, such as the right to access public places
accompanied by a guide dog or the right of a job applicant to be
considered for employment
based upon qualifications and credentials rather than being discounted
because of blindness.

There is one issue, however, that is truly a fundamental concern of all
blind people and, I would assert, many members of society. If we are to
live, work,
play and enjoy a fulfilling life, we need to be independently mobile.
Public transportation fills this need.

Members of the federation have been on the forefront of improving public
transportation in Hillsborough County and throughout the nation. If we,
as blind
citizens, are to realize our goal of equality, an efficient public
transportation system that is usable by the blind is essential.

One element of usability is the federal requirement for fixed route
systems to make specific announcements about connecting routes, major
intersections
and destinations, and intervals along a route in order for blind people
to maintain orientation to their environment. In addition, public
transportation
providers are required to provide a means whereby a blind person can
identify the vehicle they wish to board.

Unfortunately, in spite of nearly 15 years of advocacy, the Hillsborough
Area Regional Transit Authority is still non-compliant with these
regulations.
Though the federation has filed scores of internal complaints with HART,
met with key staff personnel responsible for the implementation of their
legal
requirements, attempted several times to contact the agency's executive
director, and taken our concerns to its board of directors, it was not
until recently
when a formal complaint was filed with the U.S. Departments of
Transportation and Justice that HART seemed interested in complying with
the regulations.
The cynic in me wonders if these are only more placations or are they
really going to comply? In either case, we will continue to work with
HART with cautious
optimism.

The National Federation of the Blind has shaped the freedoms enjoyed by
every blind person and, as an extension, every disabled person in the
country. Your
input and energy are essential if we are to continue our progress. Our
collective voice is much stronger than our individual ones. For
information, go
www.blind411.org
 or call (813) 626-2789. Together we can change what it means to be blind.

Marion Gwizdala, a Palm River resident, is president of the local
chapter of the National Federation of the Blind.

Read my articles on American Chronicle:
http://www.americanchronicle.com/authors/view/3885

Join Me on LinkedIn:
http://www.linkedin.com/in/dwh99

Or,  FaceBook:
http://www.facebook.com/people/Donna-W-Hill/1506852042

For my bio & to hear clips from The Last Straw:
http://cdbaby.com/cd/donnahill

Apple I-Tunes

phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playListId=259244374

Performing Arts Division of the National Federation of the Blind
www.padnfb.org