[Perform-talk] Whatare we going to do about this issue?

Kenlawrence124 at aol.com Kenlawrence124 at aol.com
Wed Oct 28 16:35:19 UTC 2009

Hello friends Sorry for a cross posting, but I think this is important both
 to the access of the net, and to the musicians on the PAD list.  I
recently  got an email from a electronic/dance group called Girls on film stating
that the  new release is available on CD baby.  I went to CD baby and found
that  blind users can no longer preview what they buy on CD baby.  Yeah that
right sound in sight contributers blind can no longer hear samples before
buying.  Below is a message along with my original to CD baby alerting them
to this.  The cop out here is a cop out and I got the same thing from
Pandora.  It seems to me that the lie that it costs to much to make a site
accessible won't cut it.  So my friends what are we going to do to help  Kevin
Reeves and all the blind people who until now at least depended on the
discover music tag on CD baby?  We sure can't discover music if we can't  sample
it Huh?  Tell me if you think this is an absolute crock of you know  what.

Hello Ken,
I'm sorry our update removed the functional use for our blind  customers.
Our programmers
are all in house and are looking forward to  making it more friendly to the
blind.
Unfortunately, there are a few other  programming issues they need to
finish first.
Take care,
Joel
-CD  Baby
Hello, My name is Ken, and I'm blind and am very  disappointed that you
have changed
your page.  Today I wanted to post a  review of a CD by Girls on Film
called Mental
inage and I found that I can  see the times of the songs, and a bunch of
check boxes,
and the place to  review but according to one of the members the preview
button is
now a flash  application.  This likely means the blind user can no longer
preview
CDs  before buying since Flash can't be read by a screen reader.  So for
now the  reviews
of Ken Lawrence of national federation of the blind won't be  appearing on
the site
unless I hear the music elsewhere.  I'm sorry It's  not something you've
done on purpose,
but you should consider who is on the  net and who is able to access your
site.  In
future why not consult with  the federation?  We have a web certification
program
and we'll give you  all you need to make your site accessible for the
blind.  Give
them a  call at 1-410-659-9314 between 8:30 and 5:00 eastern time and take
the  Tech
answer line on the prompt.  We'll give you all the help you need  for the
blind.
The Crackerjack staff at our tech center have gotten me out of  a few
pickles already
Huh?
I pledge to participate actively in the efforts  of the national federation
of the
blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and  security for the blind; to
support the
policies and programs of the  federation; and abide by it's constitution.