[Perform-talk] Whatare we going to do about this issue?

Moria morningglow at verizon.net
Wed Oct 28 19:55:34 UTC 2009

Guess what?  Apparently, not only can't you preview the songs, you can't buy
the CD either.

On September 5 I went to the CD Baby site and tried to purchase Lisa
Ostrow's album "Unconditional".  I couldn't preview the songs.  Based on the
reviews, and because I used to know Lisa and want to support her project, I
decided to buy the CD anyway.  When I pressed enter on the "buy CD" button,
nothing happened.  I went to the "Contact us" link and sent them an email.
I promptly got a form response which said they might be slower than usual in
responding because of their new launch.  I thought the new launch must be
part of the problem; something that was accessible before had been made
inaccessible.  I never received a follow-up email.

This past Saturday I returned to the site, but got the same results.  So on
Monday afternoon I called and had a long talk with someone in customer
service.  I wanted to make sure the problem wasn't just my computer or my
understanding of the site.  With the rep on the phone, I once again went to
Lisa's album page and tried to preview the songs and to buy the CD.  I could
do neither.  The rep also told me that Lisa's page looked like it was set up
incorrectly.  (I thought this might have to do with the access problem as
well, and highly doubt it was any fault of Lisa's.)  So I looked up another
CD which I'd been wanting to purchase, and tried to preview the songs and
buy that CD.  The results were the same.  I couldn't even distinguish
between the songs which had preview samples and the one which the rep told
me did not.  And with JAWS, the setup of the other group's page seemd to me
to be the same as the setup of Lisa's page, so the differences must have all
been visual.

Throughout the conversation, the rep was courteous and trying to be helpful,
but obviously couldn't solve the problem.  She said she'd pass the
information on to someone.  In the end, I ordered both the CDs from her.
After reading Marion's post, I rather wish I'd waited; I guess consumerism
got the better of me.

This situation is particularly infuriating because CD Baby used to be very
accessible.  It worked well, and didn't seem to need a makeover.  The
customer service rep told me there have been other problems with the new
design: apparently people are trying to pay for their CDs and getting thrown
back to a previous page.  I wonder what "improvements" they were trying to
incorporate?

I find the email Ken received insulting.  It really does relegate us to the
status of second-class customers.  I doubt we're a large enough market to
affect them with a boycott, though.  What they need now is a lot of free
publicity.  I'll do whatever I can to help.

Masha Sten-Clanton