[Perform-talk] Audio Quality of Talent Show

Peter Donahue pdonahue1 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 15 03:28:51 UTC 2010

Hello David and everyone,

    If you can raise the funds to award a scholarship each year for God
sakes you should have been able to find $75.00 to pay the Hilton Anatole AV
Department to assist you with connecting to the in-room sound system. And
this after you offered as seminar on how the blind can do digital-audio and
music production independently. If members and other budding blind
digital-audio professionals pointed a prospective employer to that broadcast
as an example of the kind of work they can expect from a blind recording
engineer they can kiss a prospective job possibility good by!

     We say we're a first-class organization and want to showcase the
abilities and capabilities of the blind. What we broadcast or place on
Internet resources should be of a high quality that reflects our
capabilities and fulfill the goals of the NFB. A collection could have been
taken up to cover the audio/video setup cost. I almost ate $300.00 worth of
such charges until Mrs. Jernigan realized that some of the events I recorded
at the national convention were being hosted by the Affiliate Action
Department. If push came to shove I would have found a way to cover this
expense myself. It would be far better to have visitors to our Web sites
hear audio of a quality that reflects the kind of organization we are. I was
thinking of all of the blind Hispanics who will hear our message and
hopefully join us to improve themselves and life for the blind of their
communities. It wouldn't surprise me if members of our Puerto Rico Affiliate
are listening to the recording of that seminar tonight. No $300.00 wasn't
going to get in the way of that. I committed myself to record these events
and determined to follow through. We left Dallas with three events
successfully recorded although we had microphone problems with one of them.

    The good news is that we now have a whole year to plan our recording
projects for the 2011 convention and raise the funds to cover any associated
expenses. Here's hoping that future recordings produced by the NFB PAD will
be of a much improved quality and showcase the true abilities of the blind.
Sorry to be such an audio snob.

Peter Donahue