[Perform-talk] OT: Pennsylvania Jaws users sought for blog accessibility study, compensation given

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Fri Jan 14 17:05:40 UTC 2011

Hi Friends,
The following is from Dr. Brian Wentz, Keystone College.
Donna
***
My name is Dr. Brian Wentz, and I am an instructor of Information
Technology in the Division of Business, Management, and Technology at
Keystone College
in La Plume, PA.  I and three of my Information Technology students are
conducting a research study with users who are blind to learn more about
the usability
of adding comments on web-based blog interfaces.

With a better understanding of what specific problems are experienced,
the goal is to provide some concrete suggestions for improving the user
experience.
The hope is that the results of this study will have beneficial effects
to make blog posting more usable for blind users.

Participants will be asked to answer questions for a pre-session survey.
Next they will conduct a number of tasks in certain blog interfaces as
described
by the researchers. These tasks will be completed on a pre-configured
netbook with the JAWS screen reader, an external keyboard, and
pre-configured blog
accounts. While performing these tasks, the researchers will write down
observational notes. Keystrokes on the computer will also be recorded
using keylogging
software. After attempting the tasks in the blog interfaces,
participants will be asked additional questions to summarize the experience.

The approximate time required to participate in this research is 30-45
minutes, and we can travel to your home or workplace to conduct the
evaluation.
We will bring all necessary equipment, so you will not need to provide
anything.

Participation in this study is voluntary, and you are at liberty to
withdraw your consent to the experiment and discontinue participation at
any time without
prejudice. Personal information or accounts will not be used at any time.

All information will remain strictly confidential, and once it is
anonymized the original information will be stored in a locked safe in
my office at Keystone
College. Only Brian Wentz will have access to this safe.
For your participation in this study, you will receive compensation
which will be payable after the evaluation session. To participate, you
must be 18
years or older, must have experience with the JAWS screen reader, and
have no residual vision and not be able to use screen magnification
software. We
expect to be in the Pittsburgh area March 14-16, in the Philadelphia
area, March 17-18, in the Harrisburg area March 21, and we have flexible
dates for
the Scranton area. If you are interested in participating, please
contact me at
brian.wentz at keystone.edu

Thank you,
Brian Wentz
717-514-9891

--
Read Donna's articles on
Suite 101:

Connect with Donna on
Twitter:
www.twitter.com/dewhill
LinkedIn:
www.linkedin.com/in/dwh99
FaceBook:
www.facebook.com/donna.w.hill.

Hear clips from "The Last Straw" at:
cdbaby.com/cd/donnahill
Apple I-Tunes
phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playListId=259244374

Check out the "Sound in Sight" CD project
Donna is Head of Media Relations for the nonprofit
Performing Arts Division of the National Federation of the Blind:
www.padnfb.org

Database version: 6.16700