[Perform-talk] Two Questions concerning Keyboards

Cameron Strife cameron at cameronstrife.com
Mon Jan 9 17:30:44 UTC 2012

Hi.  I've had no issues with my Yamaha S90es. The voices on the latest
Motif boards are really nice, but, they're probably out of your
budget. My older S90es has a fantastic acoustic piano. I'd suggest
checking out a Yamaha S90xs or xf, perhaps a tyros as well. As far as
them being "lame", that's personal opinion so I'd suggest making up
your own mind through research and listening tests etc. I haven't
heard of issues like you described with any modern boards. If it was
just "there", it's hard to say what may have been the oragin of the
issues you have because you don't know the history of the board. It
may have been hit by a power drop or power spike, may have had
something spilled on it, there could be an internal dust issue, it may
have been dropped at some point, and the list goes on. Many things can
cause lasting damage, no matter what brand the instrument is.

As far as brands, I'd suggest looking at Nord, Roland, and Kurzweil as
well as Yamaha. Korg has some great sounding boards, however, many of
them have touch screen interfaces these days, so if anyone using the
board happens to be blind or visually impaired, that may be an
issue...

Try to find a local place like a guitar center or sam ash for example,
where you can hear/look at various brands/models. I buy most of my
instruments and studio equipment from Sweetwater. I'd highly suggest
talking to them once you have a rough budget range in mind. They give
you free lifetime tech support, two year warranty, and you won't pay
tax, which would save you a good chunk of cash.

Let us know what you go for.

I've helped a couple houses of worship with live sound over the years;
instruments, pa systems, mixing, recording etc, so feel free to ask
about anything else you need assistance with.

Finally, be sure to get a dust cover for your new board and also make
sure you have a proper power conditioner and not just something like a
radio shack surge protector. All of your audio equipment should be
plugged into actual power conditioners if it's not already.

Cameron.