[Perform-Talk] Alternative Techniques for Performing Arts

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Wed Dec 23 17:05:08 UTC 2015

Hello:
I have been an actress and singer in plays, musicals and operas.  I have
performed as a soloist as well as in choral groups and church choirs.  I use
audio recordings and Braille to learn my part.  I memorize as quickly as
possible so by the time we get to blocking and choreography I do not have to
deal with a bulky Braille script or score.   I have never used a cane on
stage.  I do not think it would be appropriate.  It would take away from the
story line and staging or choreography.  I memorize the staging just like
anyone else and walk as if I can see.  Fortunately, I have a good enough
sense of direction that I am able to do this.  I do realize that not all
blind people are comfortable with this method.  There were times that people
asked other cast members or directors that they heard there was a blind
person in the cast but, they were not able to identify who it was.  They
were always amazed when I was identified and always said that I did not look
blind and that I didn't move like a blind person.  To me that was the
highest compliment because I was good enough on stage that nobody knew I was
blind next to the other cast members.  I have had my guide dog with me in
solo recitals, church solos, choral performances and weddings.  On a few
occasions, my guide dog was part of the set in performances where it was
appropriate to have a dog in the scene.  I would take the harness off and
have her on the set as if she were an animal actor.  Of course, you can only
do this if your dog is extremely well behaved.

Sandra