[Perform-Talk] Musical influences

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 17:17:25 UTC 2016

Good question.

My first foray into performing was dance. My mom taught dance, so I started dancing as young as three. Some of my earliest memories are being on stage. She took my sister and I to watch ballets, which I loved. The Nutcracker, Giselle and Sleeping Beauty have always been my favorites. I admit this is one of those things I miss after losing my sight. Attending the ballet is not that much fun. It's basically attending a symphony performance for me instead of ballet. I'm obsessed with Misty Copeland though. Her story in general, but her style, the way she moves, just love it. Wish I could watch her for myself.

My uncle was into performing, and he introduced me to the world of music at a young age as well. I loved all kinds of music, but musical theatre was my favorite. I listened to all types of shows and went to as many live performances as I could. I saw a taped performance of Les Mis on PBS, and to this day, it's my favorite musical. I also love Westside Story (which we did in high school, and I under-studied as Maria) Phantom (because, who doesn't?) The Scarlett Pimpernel, Grease and Once Upon a Mattress. I now include Rent, Wicked and Newsies in my
top picks. Actually, a Broadway touring production of Newsies came through town a couple of months ago, and I was blown away. It made me a little wistful, wanting to be on stage again.

I grew up in the 80s and 90s, so musically, I'm eclectic. Grunge was huge in the early and mid-90s, and I think it influenced a lot of musicians. Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana-- there's a reason people still listen to this music. The Cranberry's and Garbage were great too.

And I have to be honest, I was very influenced by Christina Aguilera and Britney Spears once upon a time. They are considered musical icons now, having shaped pop-culture. Most vocalist who were in their teens and 20s at that time were in some way influenced by them.

But my all-time favorite pop performer is Mariah Carey. I wanted to be her. I studied everything she did-- how she performed, walked, looked-- everything. Funny, I've often been told I look like a white, thinner version of her, LOL! High praise in my book! But she shaped my performing identity quite a bit, especially in the 90s.

Bridgit