[Perform-Talk] Prince and jazz

Sandra Streeter sandrastreeter381 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 14:36:47 UTC 2016

The other way you see jazz reflected in Prince’s music is, e.g., in the scat I mentioned before: it is definitely done in jazz chords. What’s interesting is, he even seems to delve into later classical periods, at the end of “Purple Rain”, with the—I think—electric violin passage—not really atonal, but definitely note clusters you wouldn’t have picked up pre-20th-century...
Sandra
"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery
The Little Prince

---