[Perform-Talk] comments/influences, and unrelated question

Sandra Streeter sandrastreeter381 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 15:01:32 UTC 2016

MCR—I'll have to try them out...

I’m finding getting through this thread tedious—no reflection on the comments or the company, just on all the greater-than pages I have to skip to get to new material! Is there any way to hide those using JAWS? Because I plan on getting everything else I can out of this wonderful thread!

Cameron, I think you’re right about whose music (Collins or Gabriel) will be noted for having the most impact on music history. Gabriel was singing about apartheid before most of us knew about Stephen Beko, and who knew about the unemployment situation in—was it, Ireland, I can’t recall—before he did that duet with Kate Bush (who’s also interesting)? I don’t shy away from looking dark topics squarely in the fact; when I was going to a Christian liberal arts college and we had the opportunity to attend various cultural events for coursework, one of my peers said, “Movies and stuff should just be for entertainment,” and I thought that comment patently ridiculous: one of my favorite movies is “Ordinary People,” not just because it was my first exposure to Pachelbel’s “Cannon,” but because it really took a hard look at things like survivor guilt, family dynamics, therapy, etc.

Sandra
"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery
The Little Prince

---