[Perform-Talk] Questions about Stage Presence and Choral Performance

Cricket Bidleman cricketbidleman at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 02:22:55 UTC 2016

Hello All,

Apologies for the blank message. It sent before I could write
anything. I love technology but sometimes ...

Anyway, just a quick intro because I haven't done one yet. I'm Cricket
Bidleman. I'm starting my senior year of high school later this month.
I live in Morro Bay, California, which is halfway between San Diego
and San Francisco. Almost no one has heard of it ... We did get an
honorable mention in "Finding Dory" though.

I'm emailing because I had some questions about choral performance. I
will be in my school's Concert Choir and Chamber Choir this year. I've
never been in a choir before, so I was hoping some of you could
provide some advice. In the past, I have been in orchestras and
things, and my music teacher would always count the beat of each song
for me right before we performed it. Is there a way to bypass this? I
noticed that some of the judges in our music competitions weren't so
happy with this, and although it's a perfectly fair accommodation, I
have to wonder if there's a better way to do things. What do y'all
think?

Also, Chamber Choir sometimes does some dancing with their music. Have
any of you had experience with this? I'm an absolutely atrocious
dancer. While I could have someone move my arms in the required
positions and stuff, this seems a little bit unnecessary and odd, and
I'm sure there's a way to get around that.

Stage presence is so important, even in music. I have, however, had no
experience whatsoever with acting or singing in a choir, so do any of
you have any tips on stage presence as it relates to a choir? I'm so
excited to be getting some fresh perspectives on this. Thanks! Feel
free to email me on or off list.

Best,
Cricket Bidleman