[Perform-Talk] Questions about Stage Presence and Choral Performance

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 18:00:55 UTC 2016

Hi Cricket,

Welcome to the list!!  So glad you've joined here!

I have also sung in choirs for years and have always enjoyed myself
immensely.  Katelyn's suggestion to listen for your section breathing
together is exactly what I recommend as well.  You will hear it, and
you will be able to follow it.  Soon you will feel as though you are
anticipating the breath of the choir, and that will be a cool feeling.
:)

As for stage presence...  Allow the emotion of whatever song you're
singing to show on your face.  Don't be afraid to allow the song to
influence you to show the feeling in it.  Smile when you feel it, and
look angry when that's called for as well.  The only thing you can do
wrong here is nothing at all.  If someone tells you that you are
smiling too much or making weird faces, ask them to describe how you
can do better.  The choir director will tell you how to stand and will
give tips on how to present yourself on stage.

I have had a lot of people giving me a variety of tips over the years
in choir.  I have learned to take some of it with a grain of salt and
to simply mold some of my expressions into something a little quieter
for a choir setting.  For example, you may not want that happy huge,
cat-ate-the-canary smile when singing in a group.  :)

As for movement while singing...  You can ask the teacher or another
student to show you the movements as the rest of the choir is learning
them.  If the teacher can be super clear about describing movement to
you, then that is the perfect solution; however, most people have a
hard time telling rather than simply showing.

I hope this helps!