[Perform-Talk] The Diversity Controversy

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 18:55:56 UTC 2016

Very well put.

I think it makes people happy to use titles like inclusion because they feel like they've done a good deed. That they have contributed. But as you point out, many of these programs and initiatives have brought more problems and have not changed mindsets about disability.

And I agree, as a blind person, I represent all blind people, whether I want to or not. I had a university prof. who had a previous blind student. She thought she knew exactly how to do things, how I wanted things done. I hit the brakes and explained I may have a different system, and as it turned out, I wanted things done completely different than her former student. All I asked was for her to teach exactly how she always does, and if something didn't work, if I required a modification, I would speak up. The former student wanted a bit more involvement and change up front. But my point is that it was assumed that what worked for one blind person will work for another. Instead of considering me an individual, asking what my specific needs were, she just assumed. I love this person and actually now have her as an instructor in grad school, but it's a perfect example of society clumping us together and not seeing individuals.

Stereotypes can exist anywhere. Sometimes we bring on the stereotypes ourselves. But we will never change them if we don't stand up and shout out.

Bridgit