[Perform-Talk] Discussion Starter

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 13:49:13 UTC 2016

Hello,

My introduction into performing was dance. My mom was a dance teacher, so I grew up in the dance "culture." Tap, jazz, ballet, hip-hop-- I did it all. When I was four, I had a part in The Nutcracker, and I just thought being on stage was so cool and was hooked. At ages 7, 8, 9, I would spend hours at the dance studio practicing. Long after classes were done, I would be dancing around, polishing my technique.

My uncle was always into performing arts, and was part of a prestigious university show choir in our state. I wanted to be like him. He worked as a performer for World's of Fun and later several cruise lines, ending up in New York where he toured with several Broadway productions. He was my example.

I started seriously singing in grammar school, asking my parents for vocal lessons. By junior high, I knew the stage was the place for me, and I wanted to do nothing else. My jr. high and high school choir directors thought I could sing professionally if I stuck with it, so that was affirmation for me.

All through high school, I not only danced on dance team and with a studio, but I participated in school and community theatre. I also directed a small theatre group for a couple of years as well beginning my senior year of high school. I also was in choir and show choir every year, also acting as show choir choreographer my senior year of high school. I studied vocal performance at university, minoring in theatre.

At 21, my life derailed and I became very sick, almost losing my life. This is how I lost my sight. After I recovered and received nonvisual training, I no longer saw a stage career for me. It wasn't the blindness, I just went through a crazy ordeal, and while I gained a lot of perspective on life, I equally lost my way for a time. I later went back to university and studied creative writing. I love writing, but I miss performing, and now, when it's a bit late in life, I realize that it's always been my one, true passion. I'm trying to find outlets for performing, but at my age and with a family, it's difficult. Plus, my performing abilities are out of shape.

I'm trying to instill a love of the arts in my kids. Even if they do not pursue performing as a hobby or career, I hope it's an interest they engage in. And I think the arts are an important aspect of life.

Bridgit