[Perform-Talk] OT:88 key workstation user friendly suggestions? KDR replacement? iOS control, Logic with PT?

Cameron Strife cameron at cameronstrife.com
Wed Mar 23 02:12:05 UTC 2016

Hi all. Covering a lot of ground here;sorry if it's a bit much but I
thought one message may be better than a bunch of them...

Looking for suggestions regarding a weighted 88 key keyboard with some
sort of reliable sound source that is high quality and covers many
different styles of music as I need to be able to cover pop, rock,
prog, lite orchestral, smooth jazz, horns, some world instruments, new
age, middle of the road electronic stuff, and have underscoring
elements too if possible. Maybe more organic or lifelike sounds as
opposed to crazy stuff that will tare your head off. (And, for the
time being at least, I won't be doing hip hop, dubb step or anything
like that.) As far as blues, metal, folk etc, I pretty much only need
acoustic drums which I have ssd for...

I'm having some soft synth/virtual instrument reliability issues with
sonar, hsc, and windows 10 and can't use most of my virtual
instruments like Omnisphere for example, in pro tools.

It's getting frustrating and I just want to be able to sit down, call
up some patches, and start creating as being my own technician is
resulting in bringing in far less cash lately and not getting much
done.

I am working on learning pt but sonar is still my daw of choice when I
need to get something done for someone else, especially when it comes
to midi as I'm so used to that daw...

I play guitar and bass but need to sequence many of my other parts and
the same is true for the clients I've had in.

I've been pretty impressed with the sounds that are included with
Logic from the demos I've heard and yes, I am aware that you can use
sound flower to get them into pt... I don't own Logic yet but that may
be a solution for my "in the box" sounds that are actually easily
accessible given the current accessibility landscape...

I'm wondering if there is any sort of current equivalent to the K
display reader program that allowed you to read the display of the
older Kurzweil boards like the K2600 etc? I used that with my K2661
until it was stolen and that company doesn't seem to have any sort of
new replacement although I doubt that old program would work with a
new OS etc anyways...

There are boards with tons of amazing sounds and features on the
market now but there doesn't seem to be a solution like this available
for any current product line... Please correct me if I'm wrong on
that.

The new Motif 8, korg kronos 2, and even the korg kross seem to have a
lot of nice sounds and features but I don't want to shell out big
bucks for something I won't really be able to really access much of
independently.

I don't need to do sampling or use an on board sequencer but would
like to be able to do some patch editing, and setting up sixteen part
multi timberal setups etc.

I'm up for second hand/slightly older suggestions if they are more
useable EG;roland fantom series, Korg Triton series etc. Nothing too
cheesy sound wise though...

As an alternative, what about an 88 key board that can be remotely
controlled via an iOS device? I know that there is the iOS app for the
Roland Integra-7 Synthesizer Module and there is an app for Omnisphere
so perhaps things are headed in that direction;to a certain degree at
least?

The stage piano as a controller with a hardware module is also an
option although it's not my first choice.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Cameron.