[Perform-Talk] A Higher Standard

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Fri May 20 17:49:39 UTC 2016

Alright, so we  officially lose the right to say that there was never discussion on this list  from a number of members! lol
 Then again, it is said that controversy makes for good conversation  *smile*
 Seriously though, I would have to  agree with the ideas expressed on the success  of the  talent show so far,  as the results in terms of attendance seem to   speak volumes.
   I think that the most important thing  that should come from the talent show is that the people attending enjoy the    experience as much as the performers do.   I might even say that  another bonus result might be  that the show inspires those who might customarily be  a part of the audience to consider performing themselves and from this they might gain enough confidence to consider performing once they get back home, or just  plain gain  confidence which we want our blind brothers and sisters to gain anyway.

 I think that the mark of a good division, chapter,or any sort of organization is that they be open to new ideas.   Often the people in charge of making decisions won’t know of all of the people who might have  an interest or a talent that might help move forward the larger vision of a given activity or project. This is where the person who believes  they have the talent or idea that might be useful can bring their idea  to the attention of someone involved with the planning  and see what is said.  Sometimes the answer is “yes”, sometimes the answer is “no”, but hopefully a reason is given one  way or another.

Many times   individuals in leadership might find that there are more people with a negative thing to say, than a positive thing to add or a willingness to take part in changing things for the better.  This doesn’t mean that hearing about what is wrong or needs to be fixed is something unwelcome by good leadership, but  that it is just as helpful to bring  solutions and willingness to be a part of  those solutions as it is to bring the problems forward.
 Peter feels as if he is not needed in the organization, that his energy, skill and  talent is not appreciated here.  I respect how he feels and am disheartened  that he feels this way.
 The truth is that  the NFB is an organization for anyone who believes in the true  ability of the blind as full participants in society  and the full capacity of the blind in all of our various facets  as human beings. We   want anyone who wants to be a part of the movement to know that they are welcome.
  I don’t think that any of us here believe our organization to  be perfect, and not all of our members value  others in our movement  in the same way.  But I think that for the most part we are accepting of individuals  for who they are and what they bring, and we certainly hold that expectation for  anyone who considers themselves members.
 I appreciate that peter   expresses his concerns here, and I encourage him to  talk to those  who he feels don’t appreciate him. If he feels as if it is not worth his time thenI am afraid that there isn’t much that can be done from that point.

               .