[Perform-Talk] Making sure this got to the list.FW: Needing assistance from blind theater performers

Masha Sten-Clanton morningglow at verizon.net
Mon Aug 27 16:25:26 UTC 2018

Hi Judy! I've done some community theatre and am totally blind.

So there are really two questions here:
1) How do you develop alternative techniques to do theatre? And
2) How do you get reluctant people to let you give it a shot?

As for 1), your friend already has some advantages that I didn't. For
instance, she knows, from being sighted, a full range of gestures and facial
expressions she can use to portray a character.

She can also often use sound cues to know where she is onstage and which way
to go. This aspect has often been difficult for me--I don't have the world's
greatest sense of direction, and often you don't have that much time to
practice on the actual set. I've been in Gilbert and Sullivan productions in
which we didn't have the set put up until Monday, and opening night was
Friday. I was in the chorus both times, and so was able to go on and off
with other people. I've been told that my voice was strong enough for a
stronger role. But I really don't know how I would have learned the set in
such a short time.

I've wanted for a long time to discuss with other blind people what could be
done, relatively inconspicuously, to make the stage environment safer. Yes,
I do fear falling off the stage. This isn't an issue if you're using a cane,
or if you're moving on or off with others, but it could be an issue if
you're walking by yourself without a cane. When I have done this, I didn't
need to move all the way to the front of the stage, so the issue never came
up.

As for question 2), that can be really intractable. Has she auditioned for
these people, or just accepted their word that they wouldn't cast her? I've
gotten parts by showing up for auditions that weren't well-attended.
Sometimes you can find out stuff like that by becoming involved in other
aspects of the theatre and going to board meetings.

I don't know whether there are improvisation classes where your friend
lives, but if there are it would be worth her time to sign up. There cast
members are supposed to tune into each other, and if one of the participants
is blind, they can work with that--at least that has been my experience.

I don't know why others haven't responded to you, but my guess is that no
one has figured out the magic secret to making people want to work with you
when they don't. I hope others will comment.

Masha